Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GCC or Midchart?

#1 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-29, 16:24

We're thinking of using a 2D opener as a weak 2 in H or a couple of strong options. Where does this land on ACBL convention charts?

TIA

Regards and Happy Trails,

Scott Needham
Boulder, Colorado, USA

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-29, 16:52

I can't get the link properly on my tablet, but it is a Midchart convention.which seems an odd choice, but it is an ACBL Convention Chart, so odd is probably the default!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-June-29, 17:04

View PostFlem72, on 2014-June-29, 16:24, said:

We're thinking of using a 2D opener as a weak 2 in H or a couple of strong options. Where does this land on ACBL convention charts?

TIA

Regards and Happy Trails,

Scott Needham
Boulder, Colorado, USA

Midchart (and there isn't an approved defense to transfer preempts with a strong option)
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-June-29, 18:44

View Posthrothgar, on 2014-June-29, 17:04, said:

Midchart (and there isn't an approved defense to transfer preempts with a strong option)

There is an approved defense to 2 as weak or strong. you would have to get approved.

Easier to go multi with weak or . maybe make spade either good or bad pre-empt as it sounds like you still have a natural preempt

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-29, 22:05

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-June-29, 18:44, said:

There is an approved defense to 2 as weak or strong. you would have to get approved.

How do these approved defenses work?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-29, 22:30

View PostVampyr, on 2014-June-29, 22:05, said:

How do these approved defenses work?

They don't. Essentially if the defense is already approved, you can use the convention, but often need to provide the opponents 2 copies of the approved defenses. If there is no approved defense and/or if the convention is not allowed in midchart (a revision to the midchart a few years ago changed from a bunch of rules of what was fine if there was a defense to instead explicitly listing only the approved conventions) then you need to petition the C&C folks to get it approved. And they've demonstrated they rarely approve anything and they've said they are not interested in approving additional preemtive/weak/multi-way bids.

#7 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-30, 00:50

View PostFlem72, on 2014-June-29, 16:24, said:

We used to play this at NABCs a few years ago. Before doing so we asked both the Competition & Conventions Committee and the Chief TD whether it was permitted at Mid-Chart. Naturally we never received a reply from the C&CC but the CTD said that it could be played so long as the Multi 2 defense was provided. This decision was upheld the few times that our opponents asked the TD about it, including both times when Steve Robinson asked them. When we played Meckstroth, who is on the C&CC, he did not dispute its legality but thought the transfer pre-empt defence was more appropriate.

We now play a full Multi so it has not been an issue for the last couple of years.

I recommend that you contact the C&CC (http://www.acbl.org/...ions-committee/) and ask them whether this is still seen as subset of the Multi 2.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users