BBO Discussion Forums: Bad choice(s) or bad description(s)? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bad choice(s) or bad description(s)?

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-03, 19:48

It's not clear to me whether East should bid differently or his bids should be explained differently, but clearly at least one of those two is the case.

Note: I left all that white space to the right so that the full descriptions would display. I wonder if this could help the common problem of South's descriptions being cut off.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-August-04, 11:19

Playing with a Human you did good. showed big hand with 3. If you have big hand with 4 your bidding game opposite 5 and if your hand was bigger your bidding game anyways cause p probably doesn't have nothing. so the description is wrong you wont have 24 pts.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-August-04, 12:41

In addition to the spade length and total point count, there's also the range of possible diamond and heart lengths specified in 3.

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-04, 14:06

For me,first double then cuebid is game force.I would bid 2 ,never double.

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-August-04, 14:37

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-August-04, 12:41, said:

In addition to the spade length and total point count, there's also the range of possible diamond and heart lengths specified in 3.

yes but the description is for a normal takeout double. The other option of a strong one-suiter or some hand too strong to double is never given in the description even when its clear doubler has strong 1-suiter.

But there should be provision for 5 card suit if other suits are 2-4!?

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-August-04, 17:56

I'm also puzzled as to why 2 should be forcing to 3. Why does EW have to go to the 3 level with 19 opposite 1? West's 1 limits him to 0-9 TP... Shouldn't 2 limit his hand to something like 0-5 TP, to give East a clue as to what level might be right? Then, 3 by East would be invitational based on the 0-5 range. Or something like that. No one ever gives anyone any info in the auction as described.

#7 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-04, 20:54

I don't think your auction is bad BBradley, but I would have probably doubled 2C. Certainly that is the action I would take with a human partner. I am not sure how double is described by GIB in this situation, but a common agreement is 3 card support for your suit and an Ace or so better than a minimum double.

As for cuebid, it is GF if done with 4+ card support. If done with 3, game need not be reached, but partner should realize that not much is needed. It should also be noted that advancer's minimum suit rebid does not promise 5, as he could have xxxx, xxxx, xx, xxx in this auction. God forbid I suppose he could have xxx, xxxx, xxx, xxx.

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-August-04, 21:19

View Postiandayre, on 2014-August-04, 20:54, said:

I don't think your auction is bad BBradley, but I would have probably doubled 2C. Certainly that is the action I would take with a human partner. I am not sure how double is described by GIB in this situation, but a common agreement is 3 card support for your suit and an Ace or so better than a minimum double.
If the auction isn't bad, then the descriptions are. According to the descriptions, East has no more than 4 diamonds and at least 2 hearts. (Note: East here is a GIB and West is not.)

View Postiandayre, on 2014-August-04, 20:54, said:

As for cuebid, it is GF if done with 4+ card support. If done with 3, game need not be reached, but partner should realize that not much is needed. It should also be noted that advancer's minimum suit rebid does not promise 5, as he could have xxxx, xxxx, xx, xxx in this auction. God forbid I suppose he could have xxx, xxxx, xxx, xxx.
Since advancer could have a yarb, my above suggestion is that there should be a way to stop in 2 given doubler's possibly-minimum 18 count. Why do they need to go to 3 with less than half the deck?

#9 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-August-05, 10:50

In case it wasn't obvious, two of my recent threads were about the same hand, as seen from opposite sides of the table...

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-August-01, 08:59, said:

No, I cannot explain human West's pass of 3.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users