BBO Discussion Forums: Is 1-1-1 forcing? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Is 1-1-1 forcing?

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2015-June-26, 10:51

In Paul Mendelson's book "121 Tips for Better Bridge' he says that 1- 1 - 1 is 100% forcing and he gives an example of a 19 HCP hand where opener rebids 1, without fear of partner passing, thus leaving more space to explore the best contract.
Elsewhere I have read that opener's second bid should show his strength with a reverse, which a 1 rebid doesn't do.

Paul's advice seems sensible, so long as partner knows he has to bid again, even if he has only 6 points and an unbalanced hand with 6+ cards in his first suit, so has to bid 1NT with no support for my first suit, good three card support for my second suit and a singleton or void in his second suit. I don't want partner to pass my 19 point hand saying he made a preference pass as I had not shown my strength with a reverse or a No Trump rebid, and he suspected a misfit.

#2 User is online   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-26, 11:54

This is an endless area for discussion, on BBF the majority would say NF.
In the end it comes down to
#1 how light you respond
#2 how strong a 1 level opener can be

#1 and #2 are related

#2 Raising the upper limit for an 1 level opening removes pressure from your
strong 2C opener.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#3 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-26, 12:08

Not forcing.

What is the actual hand in the book? If it is balanced, just rebid 2N. If it is unbalanced, rebid 2S.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-June-26, 12:51

Not forcing in any standard system that I know. Quite frankly, I can't think of any system in which 1-1-1 would be forcing unless the opening bid was a strong forcing bid and the initial response promised values. For example, if the auction went 1 - 1 - 1, with the 1 bid being strong, artificial and forcing, and the 1 response being a natural game forcing bid, then 1 would be forcing. There might be other variations on this theme. But the bottom line is that, in any standard system where the opening bid is natural and non-forcing, a response followed by a one-level rebid is not forcing.

#5 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2015-June-26, 14:20

The actual hand is as follows:

Paul Mendelson is the Financial Times bridge correspondent and a major author on bridge in the UK.
On this hand he writes:
"Many players would jump in spades but there is no need. All possible games and slams are still available and 1S is 100% forcing. This leaves plenty of room for partner to rebid to describe his hand further, or to use Fourth suit forcing to elicit further information from you. To jump here would simply waste your own side's bidding space and make reaching the correct contract more difficult"

I have a lot of books and other resources on bridge but have never heard of this before so thought I'd check it out before raising it with my partner.

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-26, 14:47

I am not convinced by Mendelson's argument.

Partner usually isn't strong enough to use fourth suit when you have such a monster. Suppose he bids 2. Now you have to do something forcing again on your third turn. 2 is probably what you would bid with a 4045 16-18 count. Partner can pass it. 3 is probably a splinter, at least it is forcing but you don't have a singleton diamonds.

I am sure Mendelson hasa solution, but for us mortals wouldn't it be easier to show the strength and shape with a 2 rebid? That is a game force so you don't have to worry about which subsequent bids would be forcing.

Besides: If 2 isn't this hand, what is 2 then? A splinter in support of hearts? Would it be 5-6?

It probably doesn't matter much what you agree with partner, though, as long as you both understand that non-forcing does not mean weak. 1 has an upper limit of about 18 points. Partner can pass it with 5-6 points, maybe a bad 7, and exactly three spades. With four spades he will raise even with an absolute minimum.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-26, 15:29

I am one of the very few who plays that a 1-1-1 can be forcing. But before you think that you have found someone: it doesn't apply to this auction. It only applies to two auctions:
1-1; 1
1-1; 1

The reason for these exceptions is that I do not want to jump with strong 4441 hands. (And in my style a 4441 hand needs to be very strong before it is opened at the 2 level.) But as I said, very few players will make these exceptions.

Other than the exceptions I gave, I cannot come up with a good reason why a 1-1-1 should be forcing. The only thing I can say is that, in practice, I rarely pass.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-26, 16:18

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-June-26, 15:29, said:

Other than the exceptions I gave, I cannot come up with a good reason why a 1-1-1 should be forcing. The only thing I can say is that, in practice, I rarely pass.

The main reason one might want to do this is to free up 2 for some other meaning(s). Like handling "bridge world death hands" (strong hand, six card minor, 3 cd H support). Or after 1d-1h gaining some ways to splinter raise without forcing to game. Since even when playing 1-1-1 non-forcing, this bid is rarely passed anyway, I think I like the trade-off in theory although my partners have rarely agreed to try it so I haven't really seen how well it works in practice.

#9 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-26, 16:26

don't pay too much attention to the article. i'm british and i've never heard of the author, which suggests he doesn't play national or even county events. some of the other newspaper columns are written by people i do know and who are clueless. the same applies to bridge books aimed at beginners. being a good writer and a good bridge player are not very closely correlated.

there is a good argument for playing it as forcing - it would free up a 2S rebid for something artifical, for example a strong raise. of course he makes no mention of this advantage. anyway the normal meaning is definitely non-forcing.

the example hand one wouldn't want to jump to start a game force with anyway as it's not strong enough. that the author chose a poor example hand is a clue to the validity of the rest of the piece.

it's very rare that one would really want to pass here anyway. either responder has 6 cards in his suit so will rebid those, he has 3+ of opener's first suit so he go back there and play an 8+ card fit or he has length in the 4th suit in which case he's happy bidding no trumps.

*note for those who object to "he has 3+ of opener's first suit so he go back there and play an 8+ card fit": this style is pretty much universal in the UK.

#10 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-26, 16:38

I play it (and you can see this in my history) as "not forcing, but if you pass, you'd better be right." So far, my partnerships have been 100% right with their passes (my guess: all 4 of them).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#11 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-26, 16:58

View Postmycroft, on 2015-June-26, 16:38, said:

I play it (and you can see this in my history) as "not forcing, but if you pass, you'd better be right." So far, my partnerships have been 100% right with their passes (my guess: all 4 of them).

This is a fairly common way to play it. Edgar Kaplan called this type of opener's rebid "forcing if you have a real response (six points)".

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-June-26, 17:09

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-June-26, 16:18, said:

The main reason one might want to do this is to free up 2 for some other meaning(s). Like handling "bridge world death hands" (strong hand, six card minor, 3 cd H support).

Yes, I use 2 for this among other hand types.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#13 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-June-26, 18:51

NF or artificial forcing is the way to go. I dislike natural and forcing because the target is too small.

I even the 2S jump shift being passed from time to time with a hand that could/should have passed 1C.

xxx
Axxxx
xxxx
x
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-June-26, 19:57

View Postbenlessard, on 2015-June-26, 18:51, said:

NF or artificial forcing is the way to go. I dislike natural and forcing because the target is too small.

I even the 2S jump shift being passed from time to time with a hand that could/should have passed 1C.

xxx
Axxxx
xxxx
x

You would pass a 1 bid with this? Seriously?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-27, 01:36

There was an important misconception in the original question. You need a good hand to reverse, but that doesn't mean that if you have a good hand you must reverse. A reverse should always show your shape, and guarantee at least five cards in your first suit. You should not miss describe your shape just in order to make a reverse.

Whether you play 1-1-1 as forcing is a matter of agreement. Normal practice is not to play it forcing, but only pass in extreme cases, such as the xxx Axxxx xxxx x hand mentioned. I would not play a jump to 2S as artificial. Learn to bin naturally before you use too many gadgets. Lots of players on BBO seem to know all the conventions, but have little judgement. Just see how many players leap to 4NT just because they have a good hand, without any idea where they are going.

#16 User is offline   echo25 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-27, 01:56

View PostArtK78, on 2015-June-26, 12:51, said:

Not forcing in any standard system that I know. Quite frankly, I can't think of any system in which 1-1-1 would be forcing unless the opening bid was a strong forcing bid and the initial response promised values. For example, if the auction went 1 - 1 - 1, with the 1 bid being strong, artificial and forcing, and the 1 response being a natural game forcing bid, then 1 would be forcing. There might be other variations on this theme. But the bottom line is that, in any standard system where the opening bid is natural and non-forcing, a response followed by a one-level rebid is not forcing.

1C-1H-1S and 1D-1H-1S are forcing in Polish Club. 1D opening is limited by 17.

#17 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-27, 05:55

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-June-26, 16:18, said:

The main reason one might want to do this is to free up 2 for some other meaning(s). Like handling "bridge world death hands" (strong hand, six card minor, 3 cd H support).

That is true, but I don't think that such an agreement would be well suited for novices/beginners.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#18 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-June-27, 06:23

As always, all that matters is partnership agreement.

Having said that, I would jump shift with this hand and find the author's comment to be weak about 1 being forcing. It is the bid that most accurately describes the hand to partner, imo.

Having said that, I also agree that a partner who passes the 1 bid,better be right. I just would be the 1 with a weaker hand than the one shown.

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-27, 09:43

1/1 forcing to 1NT is the way I learnt.

The big advantage comes from big 3 suiters. Jump reversing on 4441 is very bad.

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-June-27, 09:55

View PostFluffy, on 2015-June-27, 09:43, said:

1/1 forcing to 1NT is the way I learnt.

The big advantage comes from big 3 suiters. Jump reversing on 4441 is very bad.

A jump reverse is normally a splinter; here the alternative bid is a jump shift.

View PostGrahamJson, on 2015-June-27, 01:36, said:

There was an important misconception in the original question. You need a good hand to reverse, but that doesn't mean that if you have a good hand you must reverse. A reverse should always show your shape, and guarantee at least five cards in your first suit. You should not miss describe your shape just in order to make a reverse.

There was a hand on these forums recently where members were virtually unanimously in favour of doing just that.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users