BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1073 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#9521 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-March-02, 01:43

View Postldrews, on 2018-March-01, 19:24, said:

jobless claims at 48-year low
https://www.reuters....w-idUSKCN1GD55Y

Geez, the Fed is worried about the economy overheating....... woe is us! ;)
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#9522 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-02, 01:45

View Postkenberg, on 2018-March-01, 21:21, said:

I just thought I would mention that I got my 23andme results back. It seems that I have more than the usual number of Neanderthal links in my DNA. This probably explains a lot. Just in case you have been wondering.

Sources of imagination and creativity. Watch out for newly arrived visitors, however.... lol
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#9523 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-02, 08:52

View Postkenberg, on 2018-March-01, 21:21, said:

I just thought I would mention that I got my 23andme results back. It seems that I have more than the usual number of Neanderthal links in my DNA. This probably explains a lot. Just in case you have been wondering.

it explains a lot more that you would participate in 23andme at all, for what that's worth.
OK
bed

#9524 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-March-02, 09:41

How can Paul Ryan allow Devin Nunes to continue as a chairman of the House Intelligence Committee?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#9525 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-02, 09:44

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-March-02, 09:41, said:

How can Paul Ryan allow Devin Nunes to continue as a chairman of the House Intelligence Committee?

magical R
OK
bed

#9526 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-March-02, 10:26

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-March-02, 09:41, said:

Considering who's in the White House, the bar for "intelligence" is quite low.

#9527 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-02, 10:28

View Postldrews, on 2018-March-01, 19:24, said:

jobless claims at 48-year low
https://www.reuters....w-idUSKCN1GD55Y

I’ll make two predictions:
1. There will be a day in the next two years when unemployment is at least a point higher than it is today.
2. When that day comes, you will not blame Donald Trump.

The reality is that presidents have little ability to effect the economy (especially prior to Congressional action), that any impact the president can have will take years to pan out, that most of the good economic data is just a smooth continuation of the improvements that began when we started digging out from 2008 under Obama’s watch, etc. The reality is that you are choosing your news to fit your views rather than vice verse. I could do the same by pointing out inflation is going up (same article) or the recent stock market correction, or the weakening dollar, or the loss of retail jobs, or the “Trump slump” in overseas tourists coming to the US.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#9528 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-02, 10:29

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-March-02, 08:52, said:

it explains a lot more that you would participate in 23andme at all, for what that's worth.

Why? Probably this thread is not right for a prolonged conversation on this but my reasons are a mix of the practical and the curious. The practical is that I am adopted and know very little of my genetic history. I did learn a couple of years back that my birth mother lived into her 90s, but she also developed late stage Alzheimer's. Or so it was said. Someone in their 90s often has reduced mental capacity and this is sometimes just generically referred to as Alzheimer's without any careful medical diagnosis having been made. It turns out that I have none of the genetic markers for Alzheimer's, this pleases me and I think it will please my daughters and perhaps even please the grandkids. In general the genetic news for my health was favorable. I have gone through life leaving pages blank when filling out family history forms in doctor's offices. Information can be useful. But yes, I am also a bit curious.

I am guessing from your comment that you see an interest in personal genetics as somehow odd. That aspect might be relevant to the social/political flavor of this thread, so I will comment on it. I very much believe that we must first look to our own choices in making us who we are, but I also think that completely ignoring genetics would be willful blindness. Of course I was joking about the Neanderthal bit, I just got a kick out of it. I also found that I do not have the genetic markers that are usually found in "Elite Power Athletes". They are usually CC or CT, I am TT, whatever that means. But no, I do not blame my genetic inheritance for the fact that I did not win an Olympic Gold Medal. Genes matter, our choices matter more. Much more.

So this second paragraph might bring us back to politics.
Ken

#9529 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-March-02, 10:31

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-March-02, 08:52, said:

I decided to try it a few months ago. Learned that I'm 99.7% Ashkenazi Jewish -- no surprise there. And I'm in the bottom 9% for Neanderthal variants.

Does this explain why I often can't relate to Ken?

#9530 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-02, 10:33

no, sorry. i apologize for you actually taking time responding to my trolling. my comment was much more a reflection on the credibility of 23andme specifically as an organization than on your results.

amazon suggests to me that a lot of people (over a significant sample) have issues with dealing with them.
OK
bed

#9531 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-March-02, 10:36

View Postbarmar, on 2018-March-02, 10:31, said:

I decided to try it a few months ago. Learned that I'm 99.7% Ashkenazi Jewish -- no surprise there. And I'm in the bottom 9% for Neanderthal variants.

Does this explain why I often can't relate to Ken?

That must be it! :)
Ken

#9532 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-March-02, 11:03

Btw, Scott Pruitt, one of the president's best people, who now heads the EPA, has some odd beliefs:

Politico: (from Oklahoma radio station Pruitt interview tapes)

Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt dismissed evolution as an unproven theory, lamented that “minority religions” were pushing Christianity out of “the public square” and advocated amending the Constitution to ban abortion, prohibit same-sex marriage and protect the Pledge of Allegiance and the Ten Commandments, according to a newly unearthed series of Oklahoma talk radio shows from 2005.

I'm just guessing, here, but I would certainly think 23andMe would find Pruitt with close to 100% Neanderthal.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#9533 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-March-02, 11:05

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-March-02, 10:33, said:

no, sorry. i apologize for you actually taking time responding to my trolling. my comment was much more a reflection on the credibility of 23andme specifically as an organization than on your results.

amazon suggests to me that a lot of people (over a significant sample) have issues with dealing with them.

I have not had any problems with them, but then my intentions were pretty simple. My interest in the health angle far outweighed anything else, they were clear that they were reporting on genetic markers and not offering a medical diagnosis, and that's what I expected.

The country, and the world, is caught up in questions of identity so the question of just what makes us who we are has relevance. I am at the extreme opposite end of those who can, for example, trace their family back to the first American settlers. As mentioned, I am adopted. My adoptive father came to this country when he was 10, brought by his older brother who was 16, an adult at the time. He was always unsure of what country he came from. Ellis Island says Hungarian nationality, Croatian ethnicity. He thought he was Austrian or maybe Czech. I have never developed the need to "search for my roots", not in any substantive way, but naturally I am curious. I never completely understood what Sartre meant by "Existence precedes essence" but if it was meant to place importance on choices I agree with it.
Ken

#9534 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-02, 12:02

View Postkenberg, on 2018-March-02, 11:05, said:

I have not had any problems with them, but then my intentions were pretty simple. My interest in the health angle far outweighed anything else, they were clear that they were reporting on genetic markers and not offering a medical diagnosis, and that's what I expected.

The country, and the world, is caught up in questions of identity so the question of just what makes us who we are has relevance. I am at the extreme opposite end of those who can, for example, trace their family back to the first American settlers. As mentioned, I am adopted. My adoptive father came to this country when he was 10, brought by his older brother who was 16, an adult at the time. He was always unsure of what country he came from. Ellis Island says Hungarian nationality, Croatian ethnicity. He thought he was Austrian or maybe Czech. I have never developed the need to "search for my roots", not in any substantive way, but naturally I am curious. I never completely understood what Sartre meant by "Existence precedes essence" but if it was meant to place importance on choices I agree with it.

i will point out for the record that my own personal genetics are of great interest to me. i happen to have awful genes, i suppose. i am now 31; i never knew my maternal grandfather -- my mother never knew her father. she was 3 when he passed away from heart disease. my paternal grandparents both passed away in my teens, my grandfather with alzheimers and my grandmother from cancer perhaps related to smoking, but addiction in general is very common in my family.

my own father passed away a couple years ago from issues related to cancer, though it wasn't necessarily obvious cancer was an issue because he lived his entire life with a degenerative bone disease that caused calcium buildups (real bone spurs) in his joints. he had both his hips replaced and was in desperate need for knee and shoulder replacements when he passed.

my girlfriend with whom i'd like to start a family has historical issues as well. these all weigh heavily on us when we discuss our future.
OK
bed

#9535 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-March-02, 12:56

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-March-02, 12:02, said:

i will point out for the record that my own personal genetics are of great interest to me. i happen to have awful genes, i suppose. i am now 31; i never knew my maternal grandfather -- my mother never knew her father. she was 3 when he passed away from heart disease. my paternal grandparents both passed away in my teens, my grandfather with alzheimers and my grandmother from cancer perhaps related to smoking, but addiction in general is very common in my family.

my own father passed away a couple years ago from issues related to cancer, though it wasn't necessarily obvious cancer was an issue because he lived his entire life with a degenerative bone disease that caused calcium buildups (real bone spurs) in his joints. he had both his hips replaced and was in desperate need for knee and shoulder replacements when he passed.

my girlfriend with whom i'd like to start a family has historical issues as well. these all weigh heavily on us when we discuss our future.

I can see why you might wan to do some genetic testing but from what you say, and I mean this, it does not sound as if you need to give up on the idea of having a family. We all benefit from healthy choices, and there might well be some things that are of particular importance for you to watch for. Obviously this is something that you and she must think through yourselves but it sounds, from here, like it's genes with some problems to be dealt with rather than genes that prevent you from having a family. Good luck. Fwiw, my wife has had both knees and one hip replaced. She still belongs to a walking group (fairly substantial walks) and teaches yoga. They told her the yoga would have to go, but it didn't. She teaches "gentle yoga". Modern medicine is truly impressive. But good luck, that's the most anyone can say.
Ken

#9536 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-02, 13:38

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-March-02, 12:02, said:

It is still possible that, if one of you happen to carry a gene that could be detrimental, that's it's recessive so that if the other one of you doesn't carry it, your children won't be affected even if it's passed on (they'd just perhaps need to be careful about partners, but maybe these things will be solved by then).

The Orthodox (Jewish) community has a genetic problem, plus an interesting solution. The problem is that some genetic (recessive) diseases are more common among Ashkenazi Jews (and some among the Persian Jewish community) and so it is very important to get pretested before having kids. But if you happen to have a recessive gene and it gets known, it could make you much less marriageable. So in communities that rely on matchmaking anyway, the two people take an anonymous genetics test in HS, and get a PIN. When a couple starts dating, they can submit their PINs together, and it only tells them if BOTH have the markers (so that way there's mutually assured destruction preventing telling people about the other person, not that you're supposed to gossip anyway).

Sorry for the digression.

Good luck!
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#9537 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-02, 14:06

Thank you both. I don't mean to suggest that our problems are necessarily life-altering in any way. Everyone has some problems, on some level, it seems. We just want to be prudent when it comes to leveraging available technologies to put ourselves in the best position to have a successful future together, whatever that might mean. It might mean nothing. It might mean a lot.
OK
bed

#9538 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-March-02, 14:42

https://www.nbcnews....ficials-n852641
Alderaan delenda est

#9539 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-March-02, 15:32

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-March-02, 14:42, said:

NBC: Nobody at State, Treasury or Defense was told a tariff decision was being announced yesterday; no paperwork was ready; there was no plan for communicating with foreign countries, Congress or the public; people at the meeting hadn't been vetted.

Alderaan delenda est

#9540 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-March-02, 15:47

And then there is more of this potential quid pro amateur quo whatever....

Yahoo:

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Securities and Exchange Commission late last year dropped its inquiry into a financial company that a month earlier had given White House adviser Jared Kushner's family real estate firm a $180 million loan.

• 1073 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

54 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 54 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook