Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to deal with this matter?

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-03, 09:24

Today I am glad to play with my friend in the MBC,but we encounterred a unhappy matter.
We played only two hands against East.
E-W employed BBO bidding card,their system is " Strefa Pro" ,I know this is a early version of polish club.

First hand :

1 is explained by their BBO convention card,but there is no explanation on 4,so I let East explain,now you see that East explained 4 as "Try to guess like my partner", and then nothing to say.
Both of my partner and me still treated them politely.

Second hand :

now you see that final result is 3E -8.
There are misunderstandings between them,after 6 round,East claimed -8,and nothing to say ,then left table at once.

We have kept polite to them,they also kept silent, nothing to say, I am wondering why they did such thing,how to deal with this matter?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-January-03, 15:40

On the first hand, I think it was just means as a humorous way to say that they don't have an agreement. Since his partner has to guess what it means, so do you.

The second situation is, unfortunately, not too uncommon. When partners get mad at each other, they punish them by throwing the hand.

If you don't like the way someone behaves, the best you can do is mark them as an enemy so you don't have to play against them.

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-04, 14:35

View Postlycier, on 2016-January-03, 09:24, said:

We have kept polite to them,they also kept silent, nothing to say, I am wondering why they did such thing,how to deal with this matter?

As Barry wrote, the first hand is just a case of the pair not having an agreement. On the second, no one was forcing you to accept the concession.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-January-04, 18:08

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-January-04, 14:35, said:

As Barry wrote, the first hand is just a case of the pair not having an agreement.

Well and good, while we have just a case of the pair not having an agreement from now on, would we always explain this bid undiscussed as " Try to guess like my partner " ?

#5 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-04, 18:37

Explaining it as "no agreement" is fine. I suspect the phrasing used is a literal translation from Polish or similar language - the Polish bridge books I've read often use phrases like that.

For example, WJ2000 describes the auction:
2 (weak 2-suiter with at least one major) - 4 (to play in partner's major)

as "today you better try it rather than me".

Or possibly the person is just trying to be amusing and their sense of humour does not match yours.

#6 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-January-04, 18:39

View Postbarmar, on 2016-January-03, 15:40, said:

On the first hand, I think it was just means as a humorous way to say that they don't have an agreement. Since his partner has to guess what it means, so do you.

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-January-04, 14:35, said:

As Barry wrote, the first hand is just a case of the pair not having an agreement. On the second, no one was forcing you to accept the concession.

I don't think your opinions are correct,BBO game is a self-alerting system,whether partner can understand that bid undiscussed,opener should have a duty to explain the bid clearly,even with that bid undiscussed.In other word,it is a matter for opener not to alert own bid, obviously it is another matter for responder not to understand,so " Try to guess like my partner" is really a rediculous explanation.

Opener can't explain own bid not because of the bid undiscussed.

#7 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-04, 18:51

View Postlycier, on 2016-January-04, 18:39, said:

opener should have a duty to explain the bid clearly,even with that bid undiscussed.

That's not correct though - you are entitled to the opponents' agreements. If they don't have one, there is no obligation for the bidder to tell you what they hold.

It is a different situation if they have an agreement and the bidder has simply forgotten it. Then there is misinformation.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-04, 21:51

View Postlycier, on 2016-January-04, 18:39, said:

I don't think your opinions are correct,BBO game is a self-alerting system,whether partner can understand that bid undiscussed,opener should have a duty to explain the bid clearly,even with that bid undiscussed.In other word,it is a matter for opener not to alert own bid, obviously it is another matter for responder not to understand,so " Try to guess like my partner" is really a rediculous explanation.

Opener can't explain own bid not because of the bid undiscussed.

You have this wrong. BBO policy on self-alerting is not intended to affect the information conveyed; it simply defines the (default) identity of the individual primarily responsible for conveying it. When you explain your bids, you should be mentally asking yourself "what do I expect that my partner's response to this question would be, had he been asked it instead of me?" and then give that response. If you have no idea or expectation of how he would respond to the question, then that is the limit of your own disclosure obligation, and indeed anything extra would be improper.

Self-alerting as a policy is probably the best solution in an imperfect world. But it has one disadvantage, which is the propagation of the myth that it means that you should describe your hand rather than your agreements, which myth is all too commonly and stubbornly held.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-January-05, 11:24

View Postsfi, on 2016-January-04, 18:37, said:

as "today you better try it rather than me".

A similar expression in English is "Your guess is as good as mine"; but in a self-alert system, "mine" becomes "partner's".

Or possibly the person is just trying to be amusing and their sense of humour does not match yours.

The problem on BBO is that humor often doesn't translate well.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users