Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Dilemma A defensive problem

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-07, 10:26

Defence is tough. You decide to pass your 12-count as dealer at adverse, playing a weak NT, and are on lead after a simple auction. You cash two high clubs, all following, and now have to plan to take two more tricks. What is your choice?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-07, 11:48

Hard to see how a club continuation can hurt.
For a diamond switch to be right, declarer must have something like 3 hearts and a slow diamond loser. Among others this means the 4 preempt would have to be based on a 6 card spade suit.
My QJ in spades argues against that.
If he has bid that way with AKT9xx Axx Ax xx or AKT9xx AKx xx xx I pay of.

Rainer Herrmann

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-May-07, 12:04

View Postrhm, on 2018-May-07, 11:48, said:

If he has bid that way with AKT9xx Axx Ax xx I pay of.

Declarer has more than six spades.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-07, 12:08

View Postrhm, on 2018-May-07, 11:48, said:

Hard to see how a club continuation can hurt.

Declarer has AK9xxxx, AK, Ax, xx (which admittedly is a pretty big 4 4th in), either partner ruffs high and declarer pitches a diamond or he ruffs low and the trump loser disappears.

Even worse, partner has Kxx and declarer's hand is otherwise high and he ruffs low.

#5 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-May-08, 04:46

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-May-07, 12:08, said:

Declarer has AK9xxxx, AK, Ax, xx (which admittedly is a pretty big 4 4th in), either partner ruffs high and declarer pitches a diamond or he ruffs low and the trump loser disappears.

Even worse, partner has Kxx and declarer's hand is otherwise high and he ruffs low.

It seemed to me that a heart could not be right, as that would fail if declarer had Ax or Axx in hearts. A club is needed when declarer has something like AKxxxxx Kx(x) A(x) xx but will not work if declarer has the spade 10 which he is about 70% to have. A spade works when declarer has AKxxxxx A(x) AK(x) xx, but again fails if declarer has the ten of spades. AT9xxxxx A(K) A(K) xx with no losers outside trumps needs a club switch. I think there are slightly more hands where it is right to exit with a trump, but it is very hard to know which hands would open 4S in fourth.

#6 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-08, 05:34

View Postlamford, on 2018-May-08, 04:46, said:

It seemed to me that a heart could not be right, as that would fail if declarer had Ax or Axx in hearts. A club is needed when declarer has something like AKxxxxx Kx(x) A(x) xx but will not work if declarer has the spade 10 which he is about 70% to have. A spade works when declarer has AKxxxxx A(x) AK(x) xx, but again fails if declarer has the ten of spades. AT9xxxxx A(K) A(K) xx with no losers outside trumps needs a club switch. I think there are slightly more hands where it is right to exit with a trump, but it is very hard to know which hands would open 4S in fourth.

I agree that a trump switch caters to most conditions.
A diamond switch looses when declarer has something like AKxxxxxx A Kx xx
A club continuation is only necessary if declarer has AKxxxxxx Kx A xx and partner has the spade ten or the above when partner has the king and declarer 8 spades and no loser in the red suits.

#7 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-May-08, 05:58

View Postrhm, on 2018-May-08, 05:34, said:

I agree that a trump switch caters to most conditions.
A diamond switch looses when declarer has something like AKxxxxxx A Kx xx
A club continuation is only necessary if declarer has AKxxxxxx Kx A xx and partner has the spade ten or the above when partner has the king and declarer 8 spades and no loser in the red suits.

Declarer actually had AK9xxxx A AKJ xx and I wrongly played a club, and partner ruffed with the ten, but the diamond loser went away. Mea culpa.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users