BBO Discussion Forums: Pattern Precision - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pattern Precision A bit like ACOL and as good as it gets.

#1 User is offline   nigeldkr 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-July-25, 12:27

Jack Hawthorn is the author - a ex-naval engineer (nuclear physics) -

I have not found any weakness in his text.

Either hand can become captain of the hand. . Opener by having 16 points r 7 controls or and with any hand with less than 4 or losers.

Romex is used to to quantitatively bid strong NT hands - has the quality mark of a 2 point range.
Kokish relay 1C - 1D: 1H - 1S = opener has 20-23 HCP ballanceed hand - responders 1S shows 0-4 or 5 points)
1C-1D is 8 + points positive with an unbalanced hand

Responder bids 2C over an opening 1H or 1M bid.- ie standard including criss cross bidding of responders Major with a balanced hand you should bid 1C - 1 D with 0-10 points in hand (bang on hand evaluation of balanced hands.
the genome of tie systen is 2D = 5431, 2H 6421, 2S 5521, 2NT 4441 - Delta relay reveals the exact shape of partners hand. It is possible to bid controls (2 step bid (Beta).,Gamma bids can be replaved by kickback RKCB - saves bidding space. Here trump suit agreement needs to precede bidding kickback or KRKCB and delta bids need to have revealed the shap of partners hand.

Responder bids submarine splinters - appropriate when th author is a submariner this makes it difficult for opponents to find alternative contacts or to make lead directing doubles.

2/1 bids pre-empt partners bidding. This system is excellent because it is possible to make limit raised 1/2M = 9 loser hand 1M 3M = 8 loser hand. Opener needs 7 losers or less to open (accept when opening 1NT 10-12 )i.e.with both 4 - M if vulnerable

2C is g/f 2/1 bid - it is completely artificial.[/size][/size]

Having spent years deriding ACOL, I now find it is possible to intergate this system into a precision system and now my 2/1 bidding has become a the means only to preempt partner.

I hope I have given you a flavour of this system - pls feel free to contact me should you want to play this system on line or if you liver near Colchester contact me directly. - This is a bare bones presentation there is a lot of detail in this system to allow you to fully embrace this system - especislly so as it is possible to use standard modern precision (i.e. last train etc.

ps it is a shame that we cannot practiceprecision bidding online - if this is possible pls let me know how. top players seem to use precision systems.[/size][/size][/size]

#2 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-July-26, 04:33

View Postnigeldkr, on 2018-July-25, 12:27, said:

I have not found any weakness in his text.

Either hand can become captain of the hand. . Opener by having 16 points r 7 controls or and with any hand with less than 4 or losers.

Romex is used to to quantitatively bid strong NT hands - has the quality mark of a 2 point range.
Kokish relay 1C - 1D: 1H - 1S = opener has 20-23 HCP ballanceed hand - responders 1S shows 0-4 or 5 points)
1C-1D is 8 + points positive with an unbalanced hand

Responder bids 2C over an opening 1H or 1M bid.- ie standard including criss cross bidding of responders Major with a balanced hand you should bid 1C - 1 D with 0-10 points in hand (bang on hand evaluation of balanced hands.
the genome of tie systen is 2D = 5431, 2H 6421, 2S 5521, 2NT 4441 - Delta relay reveals the exact shape of partners hand. It is possible to bid controls (2 step bid (Beta).,Gamma bids can be replaved by kickback RKCB - saves bidding space. Here trump suit agreement needs to precede bidding kickback or KRKCB and delta bids need to have revealed the shap of partners hand.

Responder bids submarine splinters - appropriate when th author is a submariner this makes it difficult for opponents to find alternative contacts or to make lead directing doubles.

2/1 bids pre-empt partners bidding. This system is excellent because it is possible to make limit raised 1/2M = 9 loser hand 1M 3M = 8 loser hand. Opener needs 7 losers or less to open (accept when opening 1NT 10-12 )i.e.with both 4 - M if vulnerable

2C is g/f 2/1 bid - it is completely artificial.[/size][/size]

Having spent years deriding ACOL, I now find it is possible to intergate this system into a precision system and now my 2/1 bidding has become a the means only to preempt partner.

I hope I have given you a flavour of this system - pls feel free to contact me should you want to play this system on line or if you liver near Colchester contact me directly. - This is a bare bones presentation there is a lot of detail in this system to allow you to fully embrace this system - especislly so as it is possible to use standard modern precision (i.e. last train etc.

ps it is a shame that we cannot practiceprecision bidding online - if this is possible pls let me know how. top players seem to use precision systems.[/size][/size][/size]

Excellent.Most certainly would like to have a detailed look at this newer version of modified Precision system.

#3 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2018-July-28, 06:26

View Postnigeldkr, on 2018-July-25, 12:27, said:

P.S. it is a shame that we cannot practice precision bidding online - if this is possible please let me know how. Top players seem to use precision systems.

My various partners and I practice our various Strong Club systems on BBO, why can't you? Use Partnership Bidding under Other Bridge Activities. We can set the distribution to practice the rare or difficult schemes.

I have been looking on the Internet for several years for the notes of Pattern Precision and even wrote the authors an e-mail. I would love to have the notes. One of my systems, Ultra Club Relay, is on bridgewithdan.com

I have other Strong Club Systems that I have played and would be willing to describe them if you would like notes.

Please e-mail your notes and I will reciprocate.

Thanks, PrecisionL on BBO
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#4 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2018-July-28, 07:46

Pattern Precision is available on Kindle Unlimited (free trial available). As we have that I will tell you a bit about the system.

The author is listed as: J. W. Hawthorne (Author), Jack Hawthorne (Author)

Other Kindle Unlimited books by the same author:
The Pattern Club System: The Key to Accurate Bidding Through Hand Patterns
Pattern Club System - Nuts & Bolts: "Just the Facts, Ma'am!"

For Pattern Precision the opening bids are:

1: 16+, 5+ controls, 6 or fewer losers
1: 0+, catchall, usually 15 or less, if balanced (and not 3rd seat not vul) will only be 4-4 in the majors
1M: 5+, usually 15 or less
1NT: 12-14, except 3rd not vul 10-12
2: 6+s, usually 15 or less
2: 6+s and a void, usually 15 or less
2M: 10-12, 5-3-3-2

Basically the system has a lot of pattern out with relays. Here is an example of the book, using a CTC (The Bridge World) September '99 hand.

AJ
AT43
AK8642
A

QT9654
KJ
Q
K875

1(1)-1(2)-1(3)-2(4)-2(5)-3(6)-3(7)-3(8)-4(9)-4(10)-6NT

1: 16+
2: 8+ 5+S
3: DELTA
4: 6S 421
5: DELTA
6: 6S 2H
7: ASCOT
8: 6214
9: KAPPA
10: 2 CTLs

The text says "There was insufficient room to determine which Queen(s), so West decided on the small slam in notrump."

Here are the replies to 1-2 Distribution Ask

2: any 5m431
2: any 6m421
2: 5m422, 5m5m21(30)
2NT: any 4441
3: 6 any 331
3: 7 any 321
3: 4423
3: 4432
3NT: 16+ HCP <5 controls (further in the text this means 4-4 in the majors)

On review Pattern Precision has no opening for 15 HCP balanced, and I do not recommend playing it due to this fatal flaw.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#5 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2018-August-08, 00:44

View Postglen, on 2018-July-28, 07:46, said:

On review Pattern Precision has no opening for 15 HCP balanced, and I do not recommend playing it due to this fatal flaw.

Thanks, Glen.

Put the 15 hcp balanced hand in 1. Now, would you recommend the system?

Edited 8/13/18: Book on sale at Amazon.
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#6 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2018-August-18, 14:17

Received my softcover copy this week from Amazon.
Wow, lots of interesting ideas and complicated.
Not sure I can find anyone to play any of the 1 part of the system.
The author puts 13-15 hcp hands, nV & 3rd position, in 1.
I haven't found what 15 hcp balanced hands in 1st, 2nd, or 4th position open.

9/11/18: http://bridgewinners...nusual-systems/

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users