• You cannot reply to this topic

A tough defence to find

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2019-November-14, 16:30

Pairs:

NS playing weak NT, so the 2NT rebid should show a strong NT hand.

After some thought I lead a top diamond (looks the least likely to blow a trick). Partner wins and switches to a heart, my ace covering the queen. Not being sure of where our tricks were coming from apart from my A and partner's A, I settled for one down by cashing my ace then leading a diamond. Declarer dropped partner's stiff king and had the rest, one down.

The optimal defence is far more pretty. I lead a diamond as before, partner wins and returns a club to my jack. I cash the ace and lead another diamond, partner wins and returns a club for me to ruff. I have the A for six defensive tricks and three down. That is a tough defence to find at the table, but beautiful if it could be found.

#2 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-14, 16:45

Partner guessed wrong (as always🤣), although there could be a case for leading up to 3 small rather than 2.
Nevertheless, your H holding makes it unlikely déclarer will discard losers so you can continue with a risk-free HJ and wait to cash. Turning the result into 2 down.

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2019-November-14, 16:52

View Postapollo1201, on 2019-November-14, 16:45, said:

Partner guessed wrong (as always��), although there could be a case for leading up to 3 small rather than 2.
Nevertheless, your H holding makes it unlikely déclarer will discard losers so you can continue with a risk-free HJ and wait to cash. Turning the result into 2 down.

True, although it would have worked nicely if partner had the K instead of the K, but yes, maybe the percentage play for the best result is to passively exit, rather than trying for flukes.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users