Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A tale of two tournaments It was the best of hands: it was the worst of hands

#1 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-16, 19:40

Board 4: 2NTEx+5 1690 -14.0 IMPs: I double (alerted as 'takeout") and my partner in a dubious display of devilish duplicity, ignores me. Was he working on a helpdesk at the time? Who knows?
Board 5: 6NTS= 1440 +13.9 IMP's. With a stroke of luck, I recover. According to GIB this contract is doomed big-time. It looks OK to me. Any thoughts?
Here's board 5: 10 is led

Non legit hoc

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-16, 22:49

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-September-16, 19:40, said:

Board 4: 2NTEx+5 1690 -14.0 IMPs: I double (alerted as 'takeout") and my partner in a dubious display of devilish duplicity, ignores me. Was he working on a helpdesk at the time? Who knows?
Board 5: 6NTS= 1440 +13.9 IMP's. With a stroke of luck, I recover. According to GIB this contract is doomed big-time. It looks OK to me. Any thoughts?

Board 4: robot decision to pass looks insane to me, who knows? Apparently it thinks your dbl shows 16+ TP, maybe that's right (14 and a stiff?), still don't think it's enough that North is supposed to pass. The double itself is not great as you are off-shape (not particularly happy when partner bids diamonds, which could be 4 cd suit) and have a not well positioned SK in their suit with the spades behind you and you aren't that strong that you have to get involved.

Board 5:
You'd much rather be in 6d rather than 6nt. This is another one where there's no good reason to jump shift.
Reasons not to JS:
  • It's not strong in this position; it's invitational, non-forcing (a common treatment when 1d-2c is being played as a GF). You were lucky to get a 2nd chance to bid. Also, you can't bid hearts naturally after 3 as 3 supposedly denies 4 cd majors.
  • Even if it were strong JS, this wouldn't the hand to deploy it. You might want to play in hearts (impossible to reach if SJS), and your clubs aren't anywhere close to solid. You are supposed to have akqtxxx not AJxxxxx. Maybe AKQTxx in a 17-19 point 2326 hand (when played as strong as GIB used to do, not inv NF as it does now). Bidding 2c then 2H then clubs again, describes your hand much more accurately (doesn't overstate solidity of club suit, keeps hearts as an option, doesn't overstate overall strength, is still 100% GF).
But one thing your misbid did accomplish is bamboozle West, making it harder for it to find the fatal club exit, it probably can't imagine you having AJ of hearts along with As/AC, so it probably thinks heart shift partner has to have KJ and you can be kept off dummy if singleton spade. GIB's hand generation module should be better, and defend/cater to cases where declarer misbid/psyched rather than always assume declarer has what he "promised" in the auction.

#3 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-17, 01:13

It's true, 6 is the only makeable slam. Here's the solved hand.
I think I was a bit 'psyched' after board 5, and really wanted to get back into the game.
I didn't really see it as a SJS. The 3 was "invitational. 3 was just further describing my hand as 6+;3-;3;3-;11-HCPQ; 11+ total points partial st". (Not sure what I have a 'partial st' in - I think it ran out of space).
At no time did GIB think I had more than 13+ total points.

I do agree with the concept of misbidding as a robot bamboozlement technique though.
Non legit hoc

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users