• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Claim

#21 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-December-09, 09:50

View PostVampyr, on 2020-December-09, 08:20, said:

You can claim any number of the remaining tricks.

Although not "all but <number> of the remaining" which would often be more intuitive and less likely to provoke reflex-refusals.

#22 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-December-09, 13:01

I wish it would say either "all of the remaining" or "5 of the remaining 6". But given the comments I've made of others' "critical issues", I'm not, you know, complaining about it. Because it's on their list, and prioritised in the way that works best for them, not me.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#23 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-December-09, 14:27

View Postmycroft, on 2020-December-09, 13:01, said:

I wish it would say either "all of the remaining" or "5 of the remaining 6". But given the comments I've made of others' "critical issues", I'm not, you know, complaining about it. Because it's on their list, and prioritised in the way that works best for them, not me.

I'm shameless about complaining. It is to their benefit and doesn't seem to bother them either way anyway B-)
This one is hardly critical but not a lot of work either.
I could live with "5 of the remaining 6" but still think "all but 1 of the remaining 6" is easier to specify and less likely to confuse/antagonate a weak opponent.

#24 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2020-December-09, 16:43

View Postpescetom, on 2020-December-09, 14:27, said:

I'm shameless about complaining. It is to their benefit and doesn't seem to bother them either way anyway B-)
This one is hardly critical but not a lot of work either.
I could live with "5 of the remaining 6" but still think "all but 1 of the remaining 6" is easier to specify and less likely to confuse/antagonate a weak opponent.

What about something like: "You get your high trump and then I have the rest"?

#25 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-December-09, 18:13

View Postmycroft, on 2020-December-09, 13:01, said:

IIRC, older versions of the software had two sections to the claim dialog, something like this:

I claim: []1 []2 []3 []All
I concede: []1 []2 []3 []All
of the remaining tricks

This was simplified in the HTML version, probably to accomodate the limited space on mobile devices.

But you're talking about what it displays to the opponents -- I think that has always been the number of tricks along with the final result.

#26 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-December-10, 10:41

Yes, I mean "display to the opponents". The issue is that with V3, the claim balloon covers the tricks taken pictures. So if you claim 6 tricks, I can't see easily if it's 6 of 6 (which is wrong, I get my high trump) or 6 or 7 (obviously, idiot, you get your high trump) without counting my cards to see how many are left.

It should be straightforward, with the "contract making" bit, but I find it's not, and with 85% of claims being for all the tricks (and with so many opponents who already auto-deny claims "if they have a trick", without bothering to look if I'm giving it to them), it would be nice if it was clear to the opponents that this one isn't.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#27 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-December-11, 17:08

View Postpran, on 2020-December-09, 16:43, said:

What about something like: "You get your high trump and then I have the rest"?

Even better. But one can't expect that clarity from software.

View Postbarmar, on 2020-December-09, 18:13, said:

IIRC, older versions of the software had two sections to the claim dialog, something like this:

I claim: []1 []2 []3 []All
I concede: []1 []2 []3 []All
of the remaining tricks

This was simplified in the HTML version, probably to accomodate the limited space on mobile devices.

But you're talking about what it displays to the opponents -- I think that has always been the number of tricks along with the final result.

I take note that claiming "all but one" was once possible but may never have been displayed clearly: that does not explain why we cannot now have "all but one" both in input and in display :)

View Postmycroft, on 2020-December-10, 10:41, said:

Yes, I mean "display to the opponents". The issue is that with V3, the claim balloon covers the tricks taken pictures. So if you claim 6 tricks, I can't see easily if it's 6 of 6 (which is wrong, I get my high trump) or 6 or 7 (obviously, idiot, you get your high trump) without counting my cards to see how many are left.

It should be straightforward, with the "contract making" bit, but I find it's not, and with 85% of claims being for all the tricks (and with so many opponents who already auto-deny claims "if they have a trick", without bothering to look if I'm giving it to them), it would be nice if it was clear to the opponents that this one isn't.

We all seem to be saying the same thing about the actual situation, claim balloon bug aside.
Maybe it could be made straightforward to claim all but one?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users