• You cannot reply to this topic

Comedy of Errors Mea culpa

#1 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-January-26, 18:36

PZBS Transatlantic Seniors Cup, at the other table, NS were defeated by 1 trick in 4 :) At our table East declared 4 and the play was a comedy of errors :) Reasonably, South led his singleton in partner's suit -- unfortunately that was the only lead to give the contract :( When North won and led a small , declarer erred by ducking to South's Q :) South can defeat the contract by returning a black suit :) but Instead he led a :( Now declarer can succeed by an elegant dummy-reversal (Win A; ruff a ; overtake a trump; ruff another ; cross to dummy in trumps; draw 2 more rounds, chucking s; finally lead a towards hand, to make 2 more s and K) :( Instead, declarer led a won by North's A :) Now North should defeat the contract by exiting with his trump :) However, he stupidly led a , allowing declarer win K and cross-ruff the last 8 tricks :(

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-January-26, 22:46

That set held at least one other funny hand. I sat out our match (good news for our guys!).

Board one saw north pick up Kxx J10xxxx x Kxx at al, white.

At one table, this led to a multi 2D over which my teammate said double. They play multi v multi so double showed a single suit major overcall.

South knew he had a big fit with either partner or RHO: void KQxx AQxx AQJxx!

I haven’t discussed a defence to this defence, tho I will now. Anyway, I think that on general principles south should redouble to tell opener to bid his suit. South thought otherwise. He passed, presumably hoping to work it out later.

West bid 2S, which strikes me as strange, holding a weak hand and 4-2 majors, but what do I know?

Two passes followed and now south was on the precipice. I’m not sure what he ‘ought’ to do, but his actual choice did not fare well.

He bid his void: 3S.

I think I understand his logic. If he had real spades, he’d double so this ‘should’ be coming in hearts. I don’t know if I’ve read his mind, but I do know his partner didn’t.

3S played poorly

At the other table, my teammates don’t play multi. Their auction was 2H (2S) 6H. +980.

I’ve had some weird results playing against multi so I’m not throwing rocks...my house is made of far too much glass for that.

On your hand, our e-w collected 500 against 4H doubled. Diamond to the Ace, diamond ruff, spade to the ace and later collecting a trick in hearts and clubs.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users