BBO Discussion Forums: Abuse of robots - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Abuse of robots Player does not play the same system as robot partner

#1 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2021-March-12, 17:36

Small club.
Weak player like to hire robot partner but having no interest to learn the system robot plays.
At the start of the round she alerts opponents to ignore all automated alerts because she is bidding naturally.
Because robots bidding system includes for example Cappelletti it may cause ridiculous situation and some opponents complaining that player cannon play different system with her partner.
From the other hand she has no control on bidding agreements with robots and became victim of bidding misunderstandings much more often than benefit from them.
I am director, invited to the table after opponents got a bad results forgetting to double 3 spades after 2 diamonds intervention by the player (natural/cappelletti) and 3 spades preemptive jump by robot.
What should I do?

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-12, 18:18

I am not a Director, but I have played extensively with Robots (and Humans on BBO for a while now (not as much as many others).
In my opinion, you should not worry about it.
Only the robot can alert in a robot-human partnership.

The robot tells the table (partner included) what it "understands" the bid/call to mean. NOT what it actually is.

Because robots do not remember their individual partners (there are so many!), it is absolutely 100% impossible for the (misrepresented) bid to be a partnership understanding.
The robot is telling the truth, "I understand this bid to mean X".

Another situation that commonly arises is when Human+robot are playing Human+Human.
If Human+Human are playing a highly unusual system (Posted Image) such as Acol or Precision, or worse, they alert their call, but the robot will not understand the alert.

If someone bids 1NT (11-14), the robot makes an inappropriate call, and the Human+robot partnership suffers, would there be any damages awarded against the Human+Human pair?
Not in my experience.

#3 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-12, 20:00

I would bar the player. I would refuse to play against such nonsense. Do you want to lose 1 player or many?

Frankly, allowing a robot at all in a "real game" is borderline farce.

#4 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-12, 20:12

View PostTylerE, on 2021-March-12, 20:00, said:

I would bar the player. I would refuse to play against such nonsense. Do you want to lose 1 player or many?

Frankly, allowing a robot at all in a "real game" is borderline farce.

But which player would you bar?
The robot that provides the wrong information, or the human that doesn't care what her partner thinks?

If you start barring people on BBO who do things that their partner interprets correctly but wrongly, or wrongly but takes some other action, or any of several other possibilities, then there wouldn't be many people left on the site.

I do tend to agree with the farce point.
I think (have said so elsewhere) that robot and Human Bridge are quite different games.
A bit like having one pair Curling while the other pair plays Ice-Hockey.

Sure, both games are played on ice and require skates, ice and a ball and sticks, but the pace is a little different, amongst other things.

#5 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-12, 20:17

The human. I don't want that in my game, or a game I'm competing in.

#6 User is offline   j_with_a_B 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-21, 14:26

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-March-12, 20:12, said:

A bit like having one pair Curling while the other pair plays Ice-Hockey.

Sure, both games are played on ice and require skates, ice and a ball and sticks, but the pace is a little different, amongst other things.

If you are Curling while wearing ice skates then you may not know how most people play the game... I have never seen "curling balls" before... They must be made of stone!

#7 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-21, 16:02

View Postj_with_a_B, on 2021-March-21, 14:26, said:

If you are Curling while wearing ice skates then you may not know how most people play the game... I have never seen "curling balls" before... They must be made of stone!

lol
Yes Curling is an Olympic sport governed by the World Curling Federation.
It has been around for longer than Bridge.
It is easily the craziest 'sport' at the Olympics.

CURLING IS A TEAM SPORT PLAYED BY TWO TEAMS OF FOUR PLAYERS ON A RECTANGULAR SHEET OF ICE. ITS NICKNAME, "THE ROARING GAME", ORIGINATES FROM THE RUMBLING SOUND THE 44-POUND (19.96KG) GRANITE STONES MAKE WHEN THEY TRAVEL ACROSS THE ICE.
BROOM OR BRUSH
There are two types of broom. The most common is a brush or "push broom". The other is a corn/straw/Canadian broom, which, with long bristles, looks much like a normal broom.

ICE
For indoor tournaments the artificially created ice has its surface sprinkled with water droplets which freeze into tiny bumps on the surface. Called "pebbled ice", this surface helps the stone's grip and leads to more consistent curling.

Some of the most successful "Curlers" are Canadians. They take it pretty seriously by the look of it.
Yes, they don't wear skates. The stone (see above) weighs nearly 20 Kg.
So the image of Ice hockey players (with skates) dodging around a slow-moving stone with their sticks and a puck while beating the living ***** of each other struck me as appropriate.

For an Australian, Curling looks a lot like a winter version of backyard cricket.

#8 User is offline   pgrice 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-March-22, 02:41

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-March-21, 16:02, said:

lol
Yes Curling is an Olympic sport governed by the World Curling Federation.
It has been around for longer than Bridge.
It is easily the craziest 'sport' at the Olympics.

Some of the most successful "Curlers" are Canadians. They take it pretty seriously by the look of it.
Yes, they don't wear skates. The stone (see above) weighs nearly 20 Kg.
So the image of Ice hockey players (with skates) dodging around a slow-moving stone with their sticks and a puck while beating the living ***** of each other struck me as appropriate.

For an Australian, Curling looks a lot like a winter version of backyard cricket.

Old Canadian joke:
Man 1: I went to the fights last night ...
Man 2: Was it any good?
Man 1: Naw, a hockey game broke out ...

#9 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-22, 04:35

(One of) My favourite Ice Hockey moments: http://bit.ly/HansonFight

#10 User is offline   j_with_a_B 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-24, 14:42

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-March-21, 16:02, said:

Curling is shuffleboard for frost-backs, hosers and Canknuckleheads...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users