BBO Discussion Forums: Pard forgets meaning of bid - how to respond? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pard forgets meaning of bid - how to respond?

#21 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-29, 15:59

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-March-26, 10:34, said:

The NT threshold was partly to prevent a 4N bid which partner then decided whether to alert after looking at his hand, depending on whether 1N-4N-5 was more useful as 2 aces or a 5 card heart suit.

That is probably a good example for UK: over here the heart suit would never occur to anyone, I think even when that rule was made.
1N-3N-4 would be a better traditional example over here.
1-4-4 a modern equivalent (both meanings would be alertable, but some will agree to forget one).

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-March-26, 10:34, said:

I believe what you say is true with self alerts, I play my online bridge elsewhere with normal F2F rules.

Indeed, although it's not the platform that forces you to apply F2F rules.

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-30, 09:56

View Postpescetom, on 2021-March-29, 15:59, said:

Indeed, although it's not the platform that forces you to apply F2F rules.

Based on what people have said they actually do, both here in these forums and on bridge winners, nothing forces them to apply any rules - they do whatever the hell they want.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2021-March-30, 12:40

View Postblackshoe, on 2021-March-30, 09:56, said:

Based on what people have said they actually do, both here in these forums and on bridge winners, nothing forces them to apply any rules - they do whatever the hell they want.

I think you missed the point.

If by they you mean Realbridge, then no, they are exceptionally attentive to the laws and the spirit of the laws too.
If you mean the players, well it wasn't their choice to play without virtual screens and self-alerting, which the platform permits.

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2021-March-30, 16:17

I suppose it's possible that I missed someone's point. However, it is certain that you missed my point.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-30, 16:42

View Postpescetom, on 2021-March-30, 12:40, said:

I think you missed the point.

If by they you mean Realbridge, then no, they are exceptionally attentive to the laws and the spirit of the laws too.
If you mean the players, well it wasn't their choice to play without virtual screens and self-alerting, which the platform permits.

Actually most of the players I play with (club bridge) on realbridge find it much less intimidating, closer to the F2F experience and more pleasant, it IS their choice to play without screens and self alerts.

Not sure it's good for more serious stuff though.

#26 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2021-March-31, 10:06

View Postblackshoe, on 2021-March-30, 16:17, said:

I suppose it's possible that I missed someone's point. However, it is certain that you missed my point.

I guess so and am sorry, but in that case it still escapes me: had you said that people don't obey any rules then I would understand, and agree to some point. But those applying rules are the organisers and TDs, often under guidance from RAs. They may be applying sub-optimal rules (I think so) but it's not as if everyone does their own thing.

#27 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2021-March-31, 12:01

I was referring primarily to players, but some (club level, at least) directors do do their own thing.
--------------------

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users