• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you bid this ?

#1 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-April-01, 15:14

MPs

How do you plan how to bid this hand. X ? 3 ?

If you X, what does 2 show from partner ?

I'll reveal more later.

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-April-01, 15:52

Cyberyeti, on 2021-April-01, 15:14, said:

MPs

I'll reveal more later.

It’s close between double, 3H and 2C.

The problems with:

Double: this isn’t that great a hand for spades, especially if partner has only 4 of them. Double invites spades more than I’m comfortable with.

3H: I’d like something in spades. Make it Kxx void Axx AKQ10xxx and 3H would b3 a standout. Good opps don’t lead hearts against 3N, unless LHO doubles, and not even then if they have a decent alternative...my hand suggests that they probably do

2C: at least I rate to go plus if this ends the auction. More seriously, 2C leaves me happy about spades if partner can bid them voluntarily, and I’m not passing if, as I expect, the bidding continues (regardless of whether partner bids or not)

I think that my choice would vary depending on how I’m feeling. Btw, 2C is definitely NOT a strong candidate if playing imps...we’d miss too many games, but this is MPs.

If I did double, partner’s 2H is simply a forward-going noise, further definition to follow over my next bid. It’s fairly standard to play that the cuebid creates a force to the lower of a suit being bid and raised or game.

Thus over my 3C, 3S by him is forcing but 4C would not be (tho I’d bid 4H over it, then 5C over 4S)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-April-02, 07:42

Anything might be right, but I'd try 3H on the grounds that it describes the main feature of my hand, then hope for the best...

Paul

#4 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-April-02, 08:43

2C for me as the clubs are not solid and spades are problematic
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-April-02, 09:55

Partner actually doubled, RHO passes, your bid with:

It's interesting over 2 and 3 also

#6 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2021-April-02, 10:21

Cyberyeti, on 2021-April-02, 09:55, said:

1N

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-April-02, 13:24

2H is bizarre

And over 2C it’s an easy pass. Yes, I know pass would work out very badly, but I tend to avoid choosing my actions based on the lie of the cards.

Over 3H, this is really interesting. I think it close between 4C and 5C....althomthere is a good chance that we would, in practice, make 3N....responder may have Hxx and they fail to prevent a blockage.

4H would, on the hand, work out superbly....it can’t be the Ace, since one would bid 4N or higher (if one had a good hand) so one can argue that it must be this sort of hand: working values for 5m and nothing in hearts. I’d not try this at the table.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-April-02, 14:56

What actually happened is I bid 1N, next hand bid 2, partner bid 3 RHO passed, back to me

#9 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-02, 15:28

Cyberyeti, on 2021-April-02, 14:56, said:

What actually happened is I bid 1N, next hand bid 2, partner bid 3 RHO passed, back to me

You can’t persist with NTs now, so 3S (you’ve denied 4, no risk of partner raising you) to show your values and still stay below 3NT that partner can bid with help in H to consolidate the (very) fragile stopper you’ve advertised by not bidding it earlier, eg a singleton honor or better.
Over that, partner gets crazy and bids 4H, but it will still take some guts to arrive at the small slam.

#10 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-April-02, 15:46

Cyberyeti, on 2021-April-02, 14:56, said:

This is kind of interesting. I think the initial 1NT is fine - although toward the bottom range of that bid in my methods - but the subsequent auction has made the values actually held much more important. I think 4C now must be forcing - and I think I would prefer that to establish the fit. 3S as an advance cue bid could confuse the situation but I sympathize with wanting to make that bid with an implied meaning of clubs as trumps.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-April-02, 16:51

I did bid 3 now what do you think partner should do ?

#12 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-April-02, 17:05

My concern with 3s is whether partner is suggesting a 4-3 optional game with KJx, Axx, Jxxxx, xx so I don’t know what else to do but bid 4C

#13 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-April-02, 17:21

Winstonm, on 2021-April-02, 17:05, said:

My concern with 3s is whether partner is suggesting a 4-3 optional game with KJx, Axx, Jxxxx, xx so I don’t know what else to do but bid 4C

Well if you think partner has that, you bid 3N like a shot.

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2021-April-02, 17:57

If I was playing with a trustworthy expert, I’d bid 4H over 3C.

Partner did not bid 3N over 2H, which he would do with, say, xx in hearts. He also did not overcall 2C nor did he double 2H. So he has a good hand with long clubs but doesn’t want to commit to 3N.

4H is what is known as a bluhmer bid: it shows length in the bid suit but zero values there and all one’s values outside the suit.

Axx x AJx AKQxxx needs some luck to make 6C, but he won’t bid slam with that hand. With his actual hand, it’s borderline since he has a spade issue, but I think it’s worth trying. If not, then 5C seems reasonable as advancer.

#15 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-April-02, 20:01

Cyberyeti, on 2021-April-02, 17:21, said:

Well if you think partner has that, you bid 3N like a shot.

Question is from responder's seat, what does doubler hold? AQ10x, x AQx AQJxx? 4S is superior to 3NT. My point being that 3S is not so easily described as a concentration of values in support of clubs - that the first requirement of the partnership is to probe for the best game contract, and 4S certainly has that potential.

#16 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2021-April-02, 20:48

Winstonm, on 2021-April-02, 20:01, said:

Question is from responder's seat, what does doubler hold? AQ10x, x AQx AQJxx? 4S is superior to 3NT. My point being that 3S is not so easily described as a concentration of values in support of clubs - that the first requirement of the partnership is to probe for the best game contract, and 4S certainly has that potential.

I can’t imagine bidding 3C with that hand. 1N was constructive and even opposite wastage in hearts, AQ10x void AQx AQJxx is a gf hand. I’d bid 3H. Double should be takeout but I wouldn’t risk it...partner might convert, expecting me to have a heart.

#17 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-April-03, 03:04

What actually happened was pure comedy gold.

The full auction was:

Opening leader had A10xx and AKQxx

Plays out AKQ and his partner believing he had to have 6 hearts for the 2 bid unblocked the J on the 3rd round, a 4th heart was played and 10 tricks instantly claimed.

The traveller showed that 3N+1 scored exactly the same as 6 would have done, the only pair that bid the slam were doubled in it.

Played 19 times, the common results were +170x9, +620x6

#18 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-03, 04:10

Cyberyeti, on 2021-April-03, 03:04, said:

What actually happened was pure comedy gold.

The full auction was:

Opening leader had A10xx and AKQxx

Plays out AKQ and his partner believing he had to have 6 hearts for the 2 bid unblocked the J on the 3rd round, a 4th heart was played and 10 tricks instantly claimed.

The traveller showed that 3N+1 scored exactly the same as 6 would have done, the only pair that bid the slam were doubled in it.

Played 19 times, the common results were +170x9, +620x6

lol. east 2 bid is non advisable especially at mps vul. if ops have game then possible you go for -800/1100. if ops do not have game then -200/500. not great score at mps

#19 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-03, 07:07

Cyberyeti, on 2021-April-01, 15:14, said:

MPs

I'll reveal more later.

Strain not to make a simple overcall with a void in opener's suit.

Carl

#20 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-03, 07:09

1. 1NT would be an overbid.

Carl

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic