• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you do now ?

#1 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-April-01, 15:34

3N ?

I'll explain why I'm posting this later.

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-April-01, 15:56

What do we need to double a weak 1N? I can’t imagine merely bidding 2S here, not to mention that I don’t like natural overcalls.

Having bid 2S, 3N is pretty clear.

I suspect that there was some misinformation going on. However, that’s less likely in online bridge than ftf
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-April-01, 16:00

View Postmikeh, on 2021-April-01, 15:56, said:

What do we need to double a weak 1N? I can’t imagine merely bidding 2S here, not to mention that I don’t like natural overcalls.

Having bid 2S, 3N is pretty clear.

I suspect that there was some misinformation going on. However, that’s less likely in online bridge than ftf

Online bridge, but with F2F alerting rules, and it's UI not MI.

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-April-01, 16:38

What actually happened was that your partner (correctly) alerted 2 as 5-4 spades and a minor either way round and then passed it - with a bad 1354 hand which was the "right" decision to field your misbid. 3 plays better but you're never going to stop there.

You may have looked uncomfortable when he explained your bid.

I have no idea how you sort this one out, fortunately they didn't take the chance we gave them to make 2 and we got most of the matchpoints anyway for 2-1, 3N-2 would be all of them.

#5 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-April-02, 02:44

Looking at it without the UI:

First of all I am assuming that there is no clear agreement with partner over whether 3 is forcing. With a normal overcall hand (i.e. less than 15 hcp), I expect to bid game over opposing 1NT only when our side has a trump fit. So in principle 3 is not forcing. The difficulty for me is that I would have doubled 1NT every day of the week.

However, you have taken a minority decision not to double 1NT, and could reasonably hope to have got 300+ by doing so (especially as the opps apparently cannot escape into Clubs). So you need game to beat the 300s. My answer is influenced by the fact that I play in a location where 12-14 is the usual 1NT range, and I play a penalty double. This may be less persuasive if most of the field plays 15-17?

With the UI, it's more difficult. My reasonable choices are 3NT and pass. I think the UI tips me off that 3NT is likely to be better than passing, so I'd pass.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users