Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

souths bid response to tod

#1 User is offline   maris oren 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-April-04, 12:38

What should South respond to Partners X?

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-April-04, 12:52

What is the club ? I'd probably pass, particularly if partner will strain to double if short in clubs and this might be a 7 or 8 count opposite.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-04, 13:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-April-04, 12:52, said:

What is the club ? I'd probably pass, particularly if partner will strain to double if short in clubs and this might be a 7 or 8 count opposite.

If the club is more or less natural and partner promises near opening values with some kind of majors, I bid 2NT over which he can still find the hearts fit if necessary.
If he is a strainer or a strain then I pass.

#4 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-April-04, 13:18

When posing a bidding problem, please specify the form of scoring. Also, provide as much possibly relevant information as is available.

For example, at imps one might prefer to seek a vulnerable game if the opps are non-vulnerable...I’m not implying anything about my actual choice here, but make the heart holding, say, Q10xx rather than Jxxx and we might well be better in 4H, or 3N, than collecting 300 or so from 1C doubled.

Also, as implied by Cyber, the decision here may be influenced by their methods. In NA, and commonly elsewhere as well, 1C is frequently played as 3+ but some 4 card major players suggest 4+ when they bid 1C. Finally, while most of would tend to assume a strong 1N method, if they play a weak 1N, then 1C will either be 15+ or shapely...both might influence our decision.

As it is, you’re asking for an opinion on what to do without telling us very much, at all, of what we’d know at the table.

The fact that so many posters seem to think that such information is unnecessary is unfortunate. Maybe such posters don’t think about this sort of thing when playing.....I suggest that they should learn...it will vastly improve their game.

End of rant.

I’d pass
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-April-04, 13:52

To add to Mike's comments, we actually play different methods over a 2 card club to 3+.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users