• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2021-April-10, 00:52

#2 User is online   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-10, 01:29

A bit of bad luck, the form of scoring is not indicated but could explain some shyness and being not too pushy if MPs.

W already had an awkward decision on the 1st round, but could X now to show extras (and a suit not biddable by its own to the 3-level). Whereupon, E can jump to 4H. On a delayed competitive raise, I’m definitely not bidding game anyway. It could be an average HCP hand with Hx trump support.

E on the 1st round with 2 « big » cards (although I’d prefer HK and DA) and a side doubleton was already (almost) worth a raise to 3H. Especially at IMPs. And W would gladly accept the invite.

Overall, I’d say bad luck at MPs but more on East at IMPs.

#3 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-10, 01:56

E should raise to 3H the first time.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-10, 02:49

View PostTylerE, on 2021-April-10, 01:56, said:

E should raise to 3H the first time.

This is auto for us, but if you overcall on less than we do maybe not so much

#5 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-10, 04:18

If 2 promises 6 then East should raise immediately just out of LOTT considerations. It is standard for 2 to show an invitational or stronger raise, so lack of strength should not be an issue for a 3 bid.

#6 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-April-10, 10:20

On its face it looks close but with a ruffing value, the master trump, and presumed spade shortage opposite , 3H is pretty much automatic.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-10, 10:51

View Postapollo1201, on 2021-April-10, 01:29, said:

E on the 1st round with 2 « big » cards (although I’d prefer HK and DA) and a side doubleton was already (almost) worth a raise to 3H. Especially at IMPs. And W would gladly accept the invite.

It is important to realize that an immediate 3 by East is NOT an invite. It is a single raise. Its properties are similar to 1-2. It does not ask West to bid game "with something extra". It just tells West that East is not broke and that he has heart support. If East would want to invite, with a better hand, he has the 2 cue available.

This is the reason why a direct raise to 3 should be automatic with the East hand: It exactly shows the values that he has. (If 3 would have been an invite then 3 would be a significant overbid.)

After a direct raise by East, it is easy for West to bid 4.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is online   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-10, 14:44

View PostTrinidad, on 2021-April-10, 10:51, said:

It is important to realize that an immediate 3 by East is NOT an invite. It is a single raise. Its properties are similar to 1-2. It does not ask West to bid game "with something extra".

I indeed incorrectly expressed myself. I implied 3H as a constructive raise, that doesn’t give up on game should overcaller have extras.
I don’t know, though, how to describe W’s « acceptance » to bid game over that « courtesy raise ».

#9 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2021-April-10, 17:20

I thought E had a clear simple raise to 3. I was surprised to see this was a flat board, everyone played in 2 or 3, making 5.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users