Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suggestion for new software Showing bids

#1 User is offline   herrmarkt 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-April-11, 09:21

I recommend that the bids be shown without having to click on an icon. As a novice player, it is helpful to see the bids during play.

Also, when the robot is going to win often the software speeds up so that I can't even follow the play. It would be better to install claim so at least I can see how the defense loses.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-April-12, 15:55

View Postherrmarkt, on 2021-April-11, 09:21, said:

I recommend that the bids be shown without having to click on an icon. As a novice player, it is helpful to see the bids during play.

We're already violating the Laws by allowing you to review the bidding after your play to trick 1. Keeping the auction visible permanently would be worse.

Also, when the robot is going to win often the software speeds up so that I can't even follow the play. It would be better to install claim so at least I can see how the defense loses.

You can wait until the hand is over and then review the play trick by trick in the history viewer.

#3 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-April-12, 19:09

View Postbarmar, on 2021-April-12, 15:55, said:

We're already violating the Laws by allowing you to review the bidding after your play to trick 1. Keeping the auction visible permanently would be worse.

Worse? Aren't they equally bad, other than one being more frustrating?

Having it visible always was how it used to work. Are you saying the reason for changing it to only appear on click was to make it 'better', as opposed to because the new interface was designed solely for mobile without proper progressive enhancement?

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2021-April-15, 15:37

No, the real reason was because we use the same basic software for the mobile app and HTML5 version, and there's no room on the mobile app to keep it always visible.

Yes, we could have the web version use the additional screen space for this, but since it would make things worse "legally" (IMO), it seems like the wrong direction to go.

#5 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-April-20, 16:27

View Postbarmar, on 2021-April-12, 15:55, said:

Which LAWS are those? ACBL? EBL? WBF? How do they apply to non-ACBL tourneys?

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2021-April-25, 20:48

View Post0 carbon, on 2021-April-20, 16:27, said:

Which LAWS are those? ACBL? EBL? WBF? How do they apply to non-ACBL tourneys?

There's only one set of Laws of Duplicate Bridge.

#7 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-29, 16:44

View Postbarmar, on 2021-April-25, 20:48, said:

There's only one set of Laws of Duplicate Bridge.

Where?

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2021-April-30, 09:13

http://www.worldbrid...e-paginated.pdf

#9 User is offline   morecharac 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cyclothymic dilettantism

Posted 2021-April-30, 10:53

View Postbarmar, on 2021-April-30, 09:13, said:

I think there are some slight differences in the ACBL version, which took effect six months later. Nothing that would matter to this issue, though.

Somebody with a better memory would know better than I do.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2021-May-08, 09:07

View Postmorecharac, on 2021-April-30, 10:53, said:

I think there are some slight differences in the ACBL version, which took effect six months later. Nothing that would matter to this issue, though.

Somebody with a better memory would know better than I do.

There are a small number of places where the Laws allow RA options, but some of these have been removed in the 2017 revision. For instance, the previous version allowed the RA to prohibit weighted scores when adjusting, this is no longer an RA option. Most of the other RA elections tend to apply to specific events, not by editing the Laws (e.g. it's common to allow consulting your system card in an individual event).

Also, RAs can translate to their local language, or make minor editing changes that don't change the intent.

But for the all practical purposes, the Laws are international.

#11 User is offline   JmBrPotter 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bicycling, Chess, Computer Science, Go, Hiking, Learning, Military Simulation Games, Photography, Quality Improvement, Reading (SciFi, nonfiction), Statistics, Teaching, Two-Player Partial Information Games, Two-Player Total Information Games, oh! I almost forgot---Duplicate Contract Bridge playing and directing

Posted 2021-May-14, 02:04

I, perhaps incorrectly, understood that European practice kept the bidding cards on the table during the play of the hand. Perhaps, I got it wrong or this is no longer the case.
:-)

Brian Potter

e-mail: ClioBridgeGuy >at< att >dot< net
URL: Bridge at the Village

Bridge is more than just a card game. It is a cerebral sport. Bridge teaches you logic, reasoning, quick thinking, patience, concentration, and partnership skills.
- Martina Navratilova

#12 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-14, 02:23

View PostJmBrPotter, on 2021-May-14, 02:04, said:

I, perhaps incorrectly, understood that European practice kept the bidding cards on the table during the play of the hand. Perhaps, I got it wrong or this is no longer the case.

I have not heard of leaving the entire auction (which would be impractical and in clear violation of the laws), but it is common in some UK homes to leave the last bid exposed (to affirm the contract). I seem to remember reading that this was part of EBU regulations for some years. It's unheard of in Italy or France, however.

#13 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-14, 04:45

It is rare in Club Bridge in Australia to use Bidding Boxes.
Typically Bidding pads are used, and players write their bid on the pad.
When I learned that the bidding was supposed to be covered after trick 1 and tried to cover up the pad, there was outrage.
The first time I used a bidding box was at an interstate teams trial (I was a fill-in).
I don't plan to return to Clubs even after COVID is under control in Australia.
I was constantly getting respiratory tract infections.
The previous system of sharing dirty pieces of paper amongst senior citizens is a super-spreader event.
Who needs it?
Online is fine for me - it's 52 cards wherever you are.
Non legit hoc

#14 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2021-May-14, 06:05

View PostJmBrPotter, on 2021-May-14, 02:04, said:

In the UK bidding cards should be left on the table until the opening lead is faced.

When we've done this in the ACBL, it tends to cause a delay in the opening lead as people wait for us to remove our bidding cards. When we explain why the normal comment is, "that's a good idea".
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#15 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2021-May-14, 06:08

View Postpescetom, on 2021-May-14, 02:23, said:

I have not heard of leaving the entire auction (which would be impractical and in clear violation of the laws), but it is common in some UK homes to leave the last bid exposed (to affirm the contract). I seem to remember reading that this was part of EBU regulations for some years. It's unheard of in Italy or France, however.

I don't recall ever seeing this in the EBU regulations and I've been using them for a number of decades. I've also never seen it at a tournament.

But I have 'adopted' some juniors where this was common practice at their school. My view is that anything that any bridge teacher does that keeps players interested in the game is fine and they do not take long to change.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#16 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-May-14, 09:25

By Law, it's an "aid to memory", same as the local trick of canting the contract in your box. You're always allowed to ask on your turn, and if you forget when it's not your turn, oh well.

Having said that, *because* it's something you're entitled to at your turn, it's not something I care about, unlike the auction (after faced opening lead, I agree, it's the smart way to do it, and probably cuts down on "pickup = pass" too) or "leader's suit on the right, please".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#17 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2021-May-14, 12:41

View Postmycroft, on 2021-May-14, 09:25, said:

By Law, it's an "aid to memory", same as the local trick of canting the contract in your box. You're always allowed to ask on your turn, and if you forget when it's not your turn, oh well.

Having said that, *because* it's something you're entitled to at your turn, it's not something I care about, unlike the auction (after faced opening lead, I agree, it's the smart way to do it, and probably cuts down on "pickup = pass" too) or "leader's suit on the right, please".

It's certainly a technical violation of the laws on memory aids and restatement of the auction, but having said that, they seem to have been written by a committee with a severe hangover, if not actually drunk.
What I always liked about leaving the card out is that it unequivocably establishes the agreed contract, a certainty which does not seem to interest the laws and is not always available at the end of f2f play without suitably configured BridgeMate or equivalent.

#18 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-14, 22:09

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-May-14, 04:45, said:

I don't plan to return to Clubs even after COVID is under control in Australia.
I was constantly getting respiratory tract infections.

Perhaps keeping the masks on can prevent those. I think many will use.

#19 User is offline   morecharac 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cyclothymic dilettantism

Posted 2021-May-16, 08:53

View Postpescetom, on 2021-May-14, 12:41, said:

It's certainly a technical violation of the laws on memory aids and restatement of the auction, but having said that, they seem to have been written by a committee with a severe hangover, if not actually drunk.
What I always liked about leaving the card out is that it unequivocably establishes the agreed contract, a certainty which does not seem to interest the laws and is not always available at the end of f2f play without suitably configured BridgeMate or equivalent.

It was an improvement over the previous version, which was apparently written by Talmudic scholars. Except Call out of turn, which was written by a sleep therapist.

#20 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-16, 16:45

View Postmorecharac, on 2021-May-16, 08:53, said:

It was an improvement over the previous version, which was apparently written by Talmudic scholars. Except Call out of turn, which was written by a sleep therapist.

In ancient Aramaic and then translated into Latin - by toddlers.
Non legit hoc

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users