Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Undo button Unable to access in timely fashion

#1 User is offline   hortilla 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-July-11, 08:35

If you are planning any more upgrades to your software, would you please consider having a separate action for the "Undo". By the time I am able to select it from the drop down menu, the next player has made a bid and I am no longer unable to correct a misclick. This has happened several times and last night it resulted in my partner being stuck in an opening 2 club bid because I inadvertently hit the pass instead of a responding bid. Although I attempted to "undo", it was disabled and by the time I typed, please allow an undo, all hands were passed and the contract was in play.

It is a problem.

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-July-12, 03:33

Not related to your specific request to modify the software, but the incident you cite is a good argument for disallowing Undo rather than improving the implementation.

Inadvertently hitting pass instead of a responding bid (significantly, you do not even specify which) is not a mechanical error but a loss of concentration, and as such not a legally valid reason to change call.

#3 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-July-13, 07:59

View Postpescetom, on 2021-July-12, 03:33, said:

Not related to your specific request to modify the software, but the incident you cite is a good argument for disallowing Undo rather than improving the implementation.

Inadvertently hitting pass instead of a responding bid (significantly, you do not even specify which) is not a mechanical error but a loss of concentration, and as such not a legally valid reason to change call.

With this statement, I agree. If you play in any tournaments, the UNDO is disabled. So, think about what you are going to bid or play before making the bid or play.
I have seen it happen that players make a 2 club opening bid-and wind up playing it there.
So in most cases, I see little reason to allow an undo. I have made bidding and play misclicks-and do not ask for undos.

#4 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-July-13, 08:22

You can set your settings to require an OK for your bid. In other words, you have to verify your bid - so 2 clicks instead of one. If it is a mechanical error - then you can catch it before the bid is in. Without this button, I used to bid inadvertently just by waving my mouse over the bid and lingering while thinking about what to bid.

#5 User is offline   jsfphelps 

• Pip

Posted 2021-July-13, 10:39

For social bridge that is a very reasonable request. Not all play if competition.

#6 User is offline   murdockbb 

• Pip

Posted 2021-July-13, 12:42

The Undo should be an option in table setup. For those who enjoy playing a passed 2C bid fine, don't allow Undo. For those of us who play recreational with friends, the undo is helpful. We don't enjoy playing bad bids. Making the Undo easily available for those who want it is a reasonable request.

#7 User is offline   haroldsqzu 

• Pip

Posted 2021-July-13, 22:14

View Postphoenixmj, on 2021-July-13, 08:22, said:

You can set your settings to require an OK for your bid. In other words, you have to verify your bid - so 2 clicks instead of one. If it is a mechanical error - then you can catch it before the bid is in. Without this button, I used to bid inadvertently just by waving my mouse over the bid and lingering while thinking about what to bid.

In order to change your settings, click on your account and then on the settings tab. There are a lot of things about the behavior and appearance on BBO that you can change. I strongly recommend the everyone set "Confirm bids" to ON for any type of game (robot, casual/friendly, ACBL tournament). The importance of doing this before making your bid is 2-fold: (1) you are required to alert any conventional bid at the same time as your bid appears, and confirm bid=ON lets you make sure to alert the bid you decided on before it goes on the table (as required by ACBL in BBO setting, and (2) you can review what each bid means for GIB system before making it. If your bid is alertable, you have time to type full explanation, then click alert, and the confirm by clicking OK on the bid that you selected. Only your opponents will see your alert description, and your partner will not see your alert.

There is a related feature to confirm cards played in case your mouse device makes it hard NOT to misclick. I do NOT recommend setting 'Confirm cards" ON. If you set it to confirm each card, the results is you waste time (confirming all your bids (when only 1% might be due to mouse error). Partners that have this set to ON don't
catch their actual misclicks (when it could be changed)
due to playing in timed event). You will quickly realize that Confirm Card set to ON is not useful because it is only rarely relevant and wastes your time in timed event.

In regional or higher ACBL games on BBO,some have an undo, but that requires you to call the director and he makes a ruling whether undo is allowed or not. Because this wastes time, I would not use this feature.

For non-competitive bridge that doesn't involve awarding points or any casual game, I prefer sites that let the person who is serving or hosting the game make decision on whether to allow undos in bidding or play. Unless this involves unauthorized information, I feel that Undo's should be considered in a looser manner than official ACBL rules when there is no director involved in casual bridge

When I played on OKBridge, I would always serve and most expert players allow undo's in bidding and in play or agree to allow you to skip the board (whatever is fair).

I do not work for ACBL or BBO so these are just my personal thoughts.

#8 User is offline   hortilla 

• Pip

Posted 2021-July-14, 10:04

Thank you for the replies. I have to advise that my misclick of the "Pass" is not a function of my lack of concentration but an occasional problem with fine motor skills with my left hand. I have been advised to refrain from using my dominant right hand on the keyboard due to chronic tendonitis. Also I do not play in tournaments and rarely do I play with individuals who are concerned with "legally valid" bids. I am a social player and have been playing with the same two friends for over 20 years. I have yet to meet any player who refuses an "undo" at our table. The issue is that it is difficult to access the "undo" in a timely manner sometimes. I thank those who suggested the option of selecting the "Confirm bids" in Settings. Done.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users