BBO Discussion Forums: Matching Team Partners Automatically - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Matching Team Partners Automatically Matching Team Partners Automatically

#1 User is offline   JohnyYuma 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge (Naturally), Movies, Music, travelling, Reading etc.

Posted 2021-July-25, 12:21

This may or may not have been discussed before
I would like an enhancement in the software whereby, for pairs - whether Pairs required tournament or Team matches or Swiss teams - an option should be given to players that. when they register at the partnership desk - they can opt for themselves to be automatically matched to another player - either based on BBO algorithm or something else.
Remember - this does not take away anything from the existing functionality whereby you are free to invite partners of your choice
but
takes away the sending/accepting invites for those players who do not want to go through this song and dance.
Probably an opinion poll can be taken among BBO players as to the desirability of this feature. based on my limited knowledge it should be a simple and quick fix
Thanks

#2 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-July-25, 14:42

I doubt that you have any significant chance of being successful with this request.

There are very few aspects of BBO that can be fixed simply and quickly.

The requirement for a player to accept a substitution has the benefit of ensuring that the player is ready to play and has not disappeared away from the keyboard. If the substitution was automatic, getting a sub who does not respond is a major problem for the table and tournament director.

And I'm not convinced that everyone wants to be automatically subbed. What if you get paired with a player that you have marked as an enemy? Do you wish to sub for novices and beginners? Will you sub with a player who says "Precision only" in his profile?

I think that there are too many variables for this to be useful for the vast majority of BBO users.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   JohnyYuma 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge (Naturally), Movies, Music, travelling, Reading etc.

Posted 2021-July-26, 07:09

paulg
Thanks for your reply
Respectfully..I beg to differ...for the following reasons
1. I am not taking anything away from existing functionality - I am giving another option to the players who chose to do so
2. As mentioned before = This will also take away the song and dance routine meaning potentially I may be inviting 3-4 players and still eventually end up without a partner.
3. I am not convinced about your argument for absent players...to me, if you have registered at the partnership desk, it explicitly implies that you are available and willing to play
4. I know this is simple as I work in IT and may not know the exact code but have a fairly good idea about the generic process
Thanks again

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users