Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opener's suit

#1 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-August-31, 23:57

How do you proceed here? (IMPs, if that matters, though if it does, MPs too :) )

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-September-01, 01:28

if 1 is 4+ and if 1 is forcing here then I am inclined to 'Pass' the hand looks a complete misfit. your long suit will take too long to establish. I would rather have penalty here at imps and mps. if would be interesting to see how the bidding goes from there. if I need to make a decision later then later it will have to be. (that does not make it any easier imo.) bidding 3NT, 3 (shows this sort of hand I guess) or 2NT now on first round I can not see as profit.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-01, 04:02

Count me in for 1NT, comfortable at IMPs, less so at MP.

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-September-01, 07:17

Agreements matter.

For example, bidding 2D is very dangerous absent an agreement that this is not a cuebid but an attempt to play 2D.

Another is knowing the opps’ agreements

I’d like to be playing online or with screens because I want to look at their CC to know whether 1H is forcing. In live bridge without screens, looking at their CC or asking a question gives away information to the opps and, unfortunately, partner as well.

If it is, I pass. I intend to double whatever LHO bids when it comes back to me. I do not expect RHO will take a second call….ther3 aren’t enough points in the deck for RHO to bid twice unless someone has psyched. Very few people psyche these days, and the vulnerability makes it even less likely….I’d be more worried if we were red v white.

Btw, I don’t think this hand is as strong as some might think if counting hcp. We have no spots in diamonds, so we aren’t setting that suit up easily, especially if 1D promises 4 cards. Even if it doesn’t, partner rates to be light for the double which implies diamond shortness.

In the unlikely event that 1H is non forcing, I’ll try the conservative 1N. It’s not that I want to play 1N as much as it is that 1N might reveal the psyche should partner unexpectedly hold a strong hand.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-September-01, 12:45

Although I understand the arguments for pass, there is a reasonable chance the opps have an 8-card heart fit and I prefer expressing my values now rather than trying to catch up after lho raises to 2H and it’s passed back to me.

I bid 1N now
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-September-01, 16:08

SMerriman 'How do you proceed here? (IMPs, if that matters, though if it does, MPs too:))
++++++++++++++++++
I rank
1. 2N = NAT. Although bad breaks are likely.
2. Pass = NAT OK for now but uncomfortable if opener raises .
3. 1N = NAT. Underbid.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users