• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is the second cue bid an error

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-October-25, 14:05

Hi

Notwithstanding me pushing my points a little I only went slam hunting after the second diamond cue bid

I appreciate I seem to think the pack has an extra ace. Actually no it's best hand and I'm being hard on myself. Maybe when the bot added up the points it came to more than 40

Regards P

#2 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-25, 15:27

I don't know if 4 by North after the 2 by responder should have been a splinter, but it should be because 3 if forcing. That should discourage responder from making any slam tries.

As it was, 4 denied a spade control (ace?) so I think North cue bid 4 to imply the A, notwithstanding the explanation.

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-25, 16:03

Thx. I will put the hand through a bidding table and check alternatives

I think we we were both a bit confused. Its remarkably close though and slightly unlucky, notwithstanding the shortage of points in the pack :)

I have something of an issue with 5NT in Blackwood. I would prefer 2 keycards minus the Queen. But GiB thought I had an extra 2-3+ points so.....

I was overexcited by having AK diamonds opposite and forgot to count, looked at all those discard opportunities etc

I forgot the other dimension. It was last hand in a fairly average (actually I was doing ok) IMP tourney and was the 3rd 6H bid in a row. The first two were makeable (one I missed on a 4-0 trump break, one I made) so that's another explanation for the events

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-25, 18:49

johnu, on 2021-October-25, 15:27, said:

I don't know if 4 by North after the 2 by responder should have been a splinter, but it should be because 3 if forcing. That should discourage responder from making any slam tries.

As it was, 4 denied a spade control (ace?) so I think North cue bid 4 to imply the A, notwithstanding the explanation.

Who are you and what have you done with johnu?

GIB bids the same way with Jxxx QJxxx AKxx -, so nope, doesn't show anything at all in spades.

Also (ignoring South's hand) bids it with Jxxx KQJxx Axxx -, where it doesn't have spades *or* the extra diamond.

Incidentally the 3 bid also denies a void in clubs, since GIB treats ace and a void the same way.

Both 3 and 4 mean I have some points and no idea how cuebidding works.

#5 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-29, 17:43

I checked the bidding through a bidding table. If I use the alternative 2D cue bid rather than the stronger 2S I don't get into slam problems. But I felt like making a strong bid, as already explained. Maybe a simple 4H would have sufficed

#6 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-29, 17:57

smerriman, on 2021-October-25, 18:49, said:

Both 3 and 4 mean I have some points and no idea how cuebidding works.

😂

#7 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-29, 17:58

I just tried something else. After the 4D I tried to sign off but then get the 4S cue. What can you do. Slam bound all the way

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users