Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for Intermediate partner

#1 User is offline   DBMBC2016 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-April-05, 17:02

I'm looking for partner to play DC9 East (Central Florida) 99/199 games on Monday or Friday evenings. I play 2/1, use Stayman and Transfers for NT bids, weak 2 Diamonds, Hearts and Spade and strong 2 Clubs, play Jacoby 2NT, use Blackwood and Gerber, but learning 1430. I can be contacted by email at libbygallagher2@gmail.com.

#2 User is offline   NZ_Acol 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-April-05, 20:32

Have you seen my post here https://www.bridgeba...artner-2-hours/ ? Would 10pm start FL time suit you?

I understand what you wrote... except "I play 2/1"?

#3 User is offline   ThomasRush 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge (?), Toastmasters, wine, people, libertarianism, creating humor, teaching bridge

Posted 2022-April-06, 19:42

View PostNZ_Acol, on 2022-April-05, 20:32, said:

Have you seen my post here https://www.bridgeba...artner-2-hours/ ? Would 10pm start FL time suit you?

I understand what you wrote... except "I play 2/1"?

"2/1" is a system very common amongst players in the ACBL. It's read "Two over one", and is short for "Two over one game forcing" -- that is, after an opening of one of a suit, responder's non-jump bid at the 2-level (Say, 1!H - 2!C) sets a game force. The cornerstone of the system is that responder's 1NT response to opener's 1!H or 1!S bid is artificial and forcing one round, with a range of 6 to a bad 12 HCP (possibly a bit more if you open light).

A number of other tools are almost universally used by 2/1 players, such as New Minor Forcing, Jacoby 2NT response to major suit openings, and 4th suit forcing.

Setting a game force early with a 2/1 game-forcing response allows you to have very accurate game and slam bidding, at the expense of somewhat less-accurate partscore bidding. In my experience, it also helps many less-than-expert players do a lot less guessing. It also removes some of the ethical challenges players used to have -- where a long pause before raising partner's major to 3 on an auction like 1S - 2C; 2S - 3S might show a hand you didn't want partner to pass short of game, while a quick 3S bid would be "I'm only bidding because I promised a second bid" (ugh!).

Max Hardy wrote a pair of nice books, "Standard Bidding for the 21st Century" and "Advanced Bidding for the 21st Century" that lay out one of the popular variants if you choose to learn more about it.
He who plants a tree affirms the future

#4 User is offline   ThomasRush 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge (?), Toastmasters, wine, people, libertarianism, creating humor, teaching bridge

Posted 2022-April-06, 19:44

Those looking for partners should also consider using the partnership desk at bridgewinners.com . Registration is free, and there are a lot of people serious about bridge at all levels of skill.
He who plants a tree affirms the future

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users