Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Making 7NT Doubled off an Ace

#1 User is offline   riverwalk3 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-May-29, 14:45

This happened in an ACBL 18 board daylong tournament yesterday, where I managed to score 60% for 1.5 masterpoints. One of the deals (my only clean top board) was where I bid 7NT off an ace: I for some reason thought hearts were keycard after asking and thus thought we had all 5 keycards, and being matchpoints wanted to bid notrump. West failed to find a club lead, then with everything breaking luckily I had 12 tricks. West let go of his diamond stopper early, and at the end East decided to hold to his club ace so my diamond 3 was good at the end.

#2 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-May-29, 15:36

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-May-29, 16:07

I’ve told this story before but some 45 years ago, playing with a pickup partner in a sectional pairs, we reached 7N, by partner. He had lost his mind in the auction.

My LHO doubled and laid down the spade Ace, greeted by a call for the TD and the statement that it wasn’t his lead.

We had 13 winners outside of the spade suit.

The funny part was that we scored 11 on a 12 top. 7N was (mis)bid at three Thales, doubled at each, and allowed to make. I don’t know whether the defence was the same or whether my rho simply guessed wrong on the lead at the other tables

I had to redouble, I guess😀
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-30, 03:48

View Postmikeh, on 2022-May-29, 16:07, said:

I’ve told this story before but some 45 years ago, playing with a pickup partner in a sectional pairs, we reached 7N, by partner. He had lost his mind in the auction.

My LHO doubled and laid down the spade Ace, greeted by a call for the TD and the statement that it wasn’t his lead.

We had 13 winners outside of the spade suit.

The funny part was that we scored 11 on a 12 top. 7N was (mis)bid at three Thales, doubled at each, and allowed to make. I don’t know whether the defence was the same or whether my rho simply guessed wrong on the lead at the other tables

I had to redouble, I guess😀

Hilarious. I guess the lead wasn’t accepted and the suit banned from lead?

Reminds me of a little old lady who told me when against 7NT, lead your ace, in case partner revokes before you cash it in the otherwise normal course of play!

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-30, 04:29

My favourite story of this type was they guy that made 7 of a suit doubled off the ace of trumps. The hand containing it had 14 cards and declarer managed to crossruff and get it played to trick 14.

#6 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2022-May-31, 01:58

I did it 40 years ago at Coventry. And I still wonder today... why didn't I redouble?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users