• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another modest 5-5 hand

#1 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-December-23, 08:08

MP

How would/should this auction proceed in your preferred system (2/1, Acol or whatever)?
Opponents will remain silent throughout.

#2 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-December-23, 08:39

With my Acol partners:

1 - 2
2 - 4
Pass

It will probably go the same way with my 5CM (not 2/1) partners. There is a remote possibility of a 5 cue after which I think we'd stop in 5. It's hard to be objective seeing both hands together.

#3 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-23, 08:40

I'm having a hard time judging the value of the South hand, especially with the North hand visible. The two plausible auctions in my system are:

1-2NT (fit, limit raise or minimum game force); 4 (to play)-P
1-2; 3 (we bid good 5-card suits)-3 (by implication: at least a slam try); 4 (control)-4 (control); 4 (not even enough for Last Train after the enthusiastic 3)-P

#4 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2022-December-23, 10:08

For me the 5-5 suit gives me enough distributional strength to start the slam sequence after South has shown Extras.

1-2 I've started putting the non-limit 3 card raises through 2/1 leaving the Jacoby equivalent as 4+card limit+ raises
2 short unlimited - 3 3+ guard 13+hcp
3NT-4 given North can ruff
4NT 2KCs - 5 control continued slam interest (i.e. 2 keycards)
6 my combined modified loosing trick count is working

Perhaps on a less reckless day I bid 5 to deny the control, and South then has the choice of whether to slam or not

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-December-23, 11:34

This is a hand on which it’s easy to overbid to the poor but not-hopeless slam…it needs 3-2 trump and the diamond ace onside so it a bad contract

1S 2H. Gf
2S 3S. Some slam interest, may be (as here) mild
4C. Cue bid. Definitely willing to cooperate. Doesn’t promise strong interest
4D. Normal
4H. Borderline. Shortness in partners primary suit isn’t as valuable as, say, Kx.

Now responder has a tough choice. 4S would be saying ‘I’ve made slam moves but I can’t afford the five level unless you have more than you’ve described so far’. That’s a conservative view with the club king yet unshown, but the trumps aren’t great, the heart suit won’t likely be worth much if the 4H bid was shortness and the diamond King is Kxx.

If responder did move,imo think should be 5C. Now opener bids an easy 5S and that’s where we end. Not as good as 4S but far better than slam…even though slam may make.

Fwiw I’m pretty sure that both my partnerships would likely reach 5S.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2022-December-23, 12:45

View PostAL78, on 2022-December-23, 08:39, said:

With my Acol partners:

1 - 2
2 - 4
Pass

It will probably go the same way with my 5CM (not 2/1) partners. There is a remote possibility of a 5 cue after which I think we'd stop in 5. It's hard to be objective seeing both hands together.

At favourable I'd open 1

1 - 1
1 - 2*
2 - 4

South could bid 3 with serious slam interest

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-December-23, 12:49

With my Acol partners:

1 - 2
2 - 4
Pass

Curiously the addition of the 10 would completely change our auction.

We open 1 and rebid 2 over 1 with this hand type, but the spade suit is not quite good enough (3 of top 5 honours in both suits not QJ10, not a huge hand NF).

We would likely duplicate your auction.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-December-23, 12:52

View PostDouglas43, on 2022-December-23, 12:45, said:

At favourable I'd open 1

1 - 1
1 - 2*
2 - 4

Any reason N doesn't have AQJxx, x, x, Axxxxx on this sequence ? and would you expect him to bid on ? slam is decent opposite that, great if partner has 10.

#9 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-December-23, 15:25

My dime's worth. Modest + modest = modest. 12 + 14 = game values, not slam

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2022-December-23, 16:04

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-December-23, 15:25, said:

My dime's worth. Modest + modest = modest. 12 + 14 = game values, not slam

"Seven losers each" said my partner dismissively.
Yet as mikeh points out, find A onside and it probably makes slam.
That's why I found this combination intriguing, and preferred to show the two hands right away rather than attempt a progressive which has more ramifications than contributors.
It's perched right on the natural system sore spots of opener rebidding distribution or strength and handling two opening+ hands.

#11 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-23, 16:16

I think the South hand is a lot weaker than it looks, to the point that I think it perches on "minimum game force" instead of "slam try". In my system the two hand types have different first-round responses, and if South decides that hand is a minimum game force that's the end of slam investigation. Bid your games quickly and your slams scientifically.

Even if South decides this is a slam try (14 HCP, almost all aces and kings, and a 5-card side suit) my 2/1 auction does not get too close to slam. Showing shape immediately with a decent 5/5, instead of rebidding the catchall 2 (which I strongly dislike here, especially since clubs is such a low ranking suit) allows opener to put on the brakes later when the slam gadgets come out to play (notably, last train). The North hand is worth a lot of tricks opposite support for both black suits, while slow values in the red suits are near worthless. This is pertinent information to share with partner if you want to have a sensible slam investigation. And, once informed, South can visualise the issue on a diamond lead through the K98, plus it is far from guaranteed that both black suits will run. I think this board is not very complicated provided you keep your eyes on the prize.

As an aside, generally slams need to be 50% or so before they are worth bidding (at both IMP and MP scoring). Since we need an onside ace of diamonds as well as some good breaks in spades and something not awful in clubs (and no first round ruff in a red suit, of course) I would be happy to stay out of this slam. In fact, even 5 is in trouble if the diamond ace is offside!

#12 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2022-December-23, 16:39

View PostDouglas43, on 2022-December-23, 12:45, said:

At favourable I'd open 1

1 - 1
1 - 2*
2 - 4

That's what I was hoping for as true Acol :)

With my Acol partners:

1 - 2
2 - 4
Pass
It will probably go the same way with my 5CM (not 2/1) partners.

That is actually what I would expect from most 5CM 2/1 partners, and indeed what the robot bid.

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-December-23, 08:40, said:

1-2NT (fit, limit raise or minimum game force); 4 (to play)-P

Fair enough, that's one reason why I did not ask about rebids over 2.

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-December-23, 08:40, said:

1-2; 3 (we bid good 5-card suits)-3 (by implication: at least a slam try); 4 (control)-4 (control); 4 (not even enough for Last Train after the enthusiastic 3)-P

One of my current partners would die rather than not bid a good 5-card suit, so we would both rebid 3 here and sort out the strength situation later if necessary and possible.

View Postmikeh, on 2022-December-23, 11:34, said:

1S 2H. Gf
2S 3S. Some slam interest, may be (as here) mild
4C. Cue bid. Definitely willing to cooperate. Doesn’t promise strong interest
4D. Normal
4H. Borderline. Shortness in partners primary suit isn’t as valuable as, say, Kx.

Now responder has a tough choice. 4S would be saying ‘I’ve made slam moves but I can’t afford the five level unless you have more than you’ve described so far’. That’s a conservative view with the club king yet unshown, but the trumps aren’t great, the heart suit won’t likely be worth much if the 4H bid was shortness and the diamond King is Kxx.

If responder did move,imo think should be 5C. Now opener bids an easy 5S and that’s where we end. Not as good as 4S but far better than slam…even though slam may make.

Probably how it would go with my best partner. I agree that a 4H control-bid with singleton in partner's suit is borderline in terms of opportunity. I do think however that (at least at I/A level) it should be either obligatory (as I play) or excluded (as many do): leaving it up to judgement seems dangerous, although I understand that at expert level that might work out.

#13 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2022-December-23, 16:53

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-December-23, 16:16, said:

I think the South hand is a lot weaker than it looks, to the point that I think it perches on "minimum game force" instead of "slam try". In my system the two hand types have different first-round responses, and if South decides that hand is a minimum game force that's the end of slam investigation. Bid your games quickly and your slams scientifically.

Even if South decides this is a slam try (14 HCP, almost all aces and kings, and a 5-card side suit) my 2/1 auction does not get too close to slam. Showing shape immediately with a decent 5/5, instead of rebidding the catchall 2 (which I strongly dislike here, especially since clubs is such a low ranking suit) allows opener to put on the brakes later when the slam gadgets come out to play (notably, last train). The North hand is worth a lot of tricks opposite support for both black suits, while slow values in the red suits are near worthless. This is pertinent information to share with partner if you want to have a sensible slam investigation. And, once informed, South can visualise the issue on a diamond lead through the K98, plus it is far from guaranteed that both black suits will run. I think this board is not very complicated provided you keep your eyes on the prize.

As an aside, generally slams need to be 50% or so before they are worth bidding (at both IMP and MP scoring). Since we need an onside ace of diamonds as well as some good breaks in spades and something not awful in clubs (and no first round ruff in a red suit, of course) I would be happy to stay out of this slam. In fact, even 5 is in trouble if the diamond ace is offside!

I don't think anyone has expressed serious interest in slam, either in comments or suggested auction.
I agree that South is weaker than it looks, at least as support in spades (NT has some potential from South's point of view, and I was surprised that nobody discussed this yet).
How South evaluates the situation depends partly upon the noises from North.
I agree that there is a case for showing shape immediately rather than languishing in a catchall 2, hence the post.

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-December-23, 18:44

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-December-23, 16:16, said:

I think that a hand with 5 controls, a reasonable primary fit, a possible ruffing value and a suit that may be establishable opposite say Qx or Kx is far…FAR….to good to conclude, before partner gets ANY say in the auction, that this is a ‘minimum game force’.

Collaborative bidding means exchanging information before rushing to judgement.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#15 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-24, 03:41

Partner can still make slam tries opposite a minimum game force, it just requires a good 16+ or so. The North hand with an extra king or ace would qualify.

#16 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-24, 04:40

Late in the thread but it seems it will be a dialogue like

S - I have extras and we could go to slam (some kind of forcing raise at one stage, e.g. 3S after a 1S-2H-3C or 2S start)
N - I’m definitely wanting to collaborate (4C)
S - I’m continuing to collaborate (4D, which could also mean I do not quite have enough to rush into BW even knowing you are ok on your side)
N - I have done enough noise (4H or 4S), please go on if you can
S - me too (4S or pass), and starting to get worried about the D lead that we’ve gently telegraphed to the opps

The bids might be different depending on methods but the overall tone would remain similar.

But we’ve all been in worst slams that made, haven’t we? Or better ones that went down…

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-December-24, 04:56

View Postpescetom, on 2022-December-23, 16:04, said:

"Seven losers each" said my partner dismissively.
Yet as mikeh points out, find A onside and it probably makes slam.
That's why I found this combination intriguing, and preferred to show the two hands right away rather than attempt a progressive which has more ramifications than contributors.
It's perched right on the natural system sore spots of opener rebidding distribution or strength and handling two opening+ hands.

I don't use LTC but the N hand looks more like 5 losers than 7

#18 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2022-December-24, 07:16

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-December-24, 04:56, said:

Not my cup of tea either, but yes it would be 5 with traditional counting.
Maybe he adds something to compensate for the Qs and the known hearts misfit, or maybe he was just fishing for excuses for not responding with a control-bid :)

#19 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-24, 17:43

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-December-24, 04:56, said:

Maybe 6 the way I count :)

Regarding the hand that is usually a "Jacoby" 2NT for me - who knows what happens after - if anyone explores for slam or not

1S-2NT (either 3H or 4C) etc

#20 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-December-25, 03:28

View Postthepossum, on 2022-December-24, 17:43, said:

Maybe 6 the way I count :)

Regarding the hand that is usually a "Jacoby" 2NT for me - who knows what happens after - if anyone explores for slam or not

1S-2NT (either 3H or 4C) etc

I think there's a good case for Jacoby requiring 4 card support, imagine AQxxx, x, Qx, AQxxx opposite the actual S hand and Kxxx, AJxxx, Kx, Kx, the second is a really good slam, just requiring trumps 2-2, or trumps 3-1 and clubs 3-3 or 4-2, the first pretty much requires clubs 3-3. The ninth trump makes a hell of a difference, and knowing about it immediately is really useful.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users