BBO Discussion Forums: Always thinking slam - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Always thinking slam

#21 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-February-07, 14:16

If you show keycards rather then ask for them you have more flexibility.
So 4 would be an even number of keycards and 5 an odd number with K, at the same time denying K

#22 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-February-07, 14:28

I don't understand this.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#23 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-07, 15:03

jillybean, on 2023-February-07, 14:28, said:

I don't understand this.

Instead of 4 being the key card ask, use 4 to show an even number of keycards and higher bids to show an odd number of keycards plus specific controls. This way the partnership will be in a better place to establish whether the grand is on if all keycards are there.

After a 5 bid:
Sign-off in 5
Bid 5 to show all keycards, but no Q
Bid another unshown control to show all keycards plus the Q looking for the grand
Sign-off in 6

#24 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-February-08, 21:17

Here's the full hand, the Kx and the auction we didn't have. No One bid slam, maybe next time.
Not a great slam, needing to break 3-3 , should I be worried about this one? Cancel that ! I can ruff a D and get back to hand with a S ruff

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#25 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-08, 22:46

I open 1N (playing 12-14) with that hand, then superaccept (even though my partner hates superaccepts) the transfer if I get a chance. No slam try after that - looking at the West hand it would take a perfect 14 from partner for slam to even have a chance.

Incidentally, after a club lead, even assuming the spade is onside, you still need a 3-3 diamond break. Holding the North cards I am 100% leading a club on that auction.

#26 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-09, 07:02

3 is a competitive bid here given it will struggle to make opposite a minimum responder. On that basis I would not be bidding 4 as responder as the hand is a touch too weak for that

#27 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-09, 07:12

akwoo, on 2023-February-08, 22:46, said:

I open 1N (playing 12-14) with that hand, then superaccept (even though my partner hates superaccepts) the transfer if I get a chance. No slam try after that - looking at the West hand it would take a perfect 14 from partner for slam to even have a chance.

Incidentally, after a club lead, even assuming the spade is onside, you still need a 3-3 diamond break. Holding the North cards I am 100% leading a club on that auction.

Of course you don't need a 3-3 diamond break, J is doubleton 1/3 of the time which brings it up over 50%.

The hand is way too good for 1N, even with a superaccept, partner won't bid game on plenty of hands that will make game. It doesn't say whether it's IMPs or MPs, but never at IMPs and rarely at MPs (people who play weak NT much more rarely open (24)(25) hands 1N than those who play strong).

#28 User is offline   vladojuve 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-February-09, 09:33

I'm an average player. I want to learn more. If anyone has any free material, please send it to vladojuve@gmail.com

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users