• You cannot reply to this topic

No boring hands tonight! (3)

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-February-09, 10:30

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-09, 10:42

3 for now, intending to bid 4 over 3NT (4NT instead of 4 might also work). A difficult hand. If partner bids something other than 3NT over 3 we'll be in a good spot.
We could start with a double to save space but I'm not sure what to bid over 2NT or 3. Maybe 4 again, though that's close to my definition of torturing partner. Double then 3 suggests heart length and I don't want partner to pull to hearts, especially not with a strong notrump.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-February-09, 12:20

Depends on what a 1N opening would have shown

I’m doubling. Yes, I’m short a heart but if partner commits to hearts, we may have ten tricks on power.

Meanwhile, if he rebids 2N, then if that shows 15-17, I make a strong slam move. If an opening 1N would have been 15-17, I just bid 4N, which may be an overbid😀. But I do have 7 controls and a good declarer has a lot of information on the auction. Maybe I’ll get lucky and opening leader leads the King of spades from KQ109xx into partner’s Ax(x).

3S is my second choice but this hand doesn’t look suit oriented to me unless partner has shape. Too much risk of a spade ruff and/or bad breaks.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-February-09, 12:30

I actually prefer X here than 3. To me, X says values, not the other major necessarily. I want to keep the bidding low and try to find the best spot. It is a difficult hand to bid imo, and you could go very wrong. If partner bids 3 next, then 3 is next. Is this a cue agreeing s, or asking for a stop for 3NT? Think you would have to go over your agreements with your partner in respect of what happens over weak two pre-empts, and how the bidding progresses when they interfere in the auction like this.

So, on reflection, as DavidKok has said, 3 may work better here.

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-February-09, 12:39

1NT would be 12-14 , partner is quite shape conservative.

3S elicits a 3NT response
X and you will hear 3D
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#6 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-09, 14:28

I double and bid 3S over 3D.

If partner bids 3N then, I bid 6N, because partner either has 15 hcp or a 6th diamond, which are about equally valuable for 6N. (Okay - partner could have 12 hcp with 4 spades and 5 diamonds - in that case I curse the card gods and write off the session.)

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-February-10, 00:46

One pair found 6D
(still learning)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users