BBO Discussion Forums: GF (almost) with a void in partner's suit - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GF (almost) with a void in partner's suit

#41 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-June-02, 15:24

I think I need to tell partner that we have game. To do this I need to bid 2*
Partner rebids spades, showing 6+, now I get to describe my hand as a GF 2 suiter. ©DavidKok
Yes there is a discrepancy in suit quality between hand 1 and this hand but I don't see how the methods used would differ.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#42 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-June-03, 22:06

For reference:

2 or 2? (Currently 62% 2)
3 or 3? (Currently 60% 3 and 30% 3 (with 3 votes for 2N)).

Not that the majority decision in any poll is necessarily the right one, but definitely a couple of tricky decisions in this hand.

#43 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-June-04, 15:17

View Postjillybean, on 2023-June-02, 15:24, said:

I think I need to tell partner that we have game. To do this I need to bid 2*
Partner rebids spades, showing 6+, now I get to describe my hand as a GF 2 suiter. ©DavidKok
Yes there is a discrepancy in suit quality between hand 1 and this hand but I don't see how the methods used would differ.

With the original hand, the only game might be 5 on a 6-1 fit. Showing the poor hearts won't get you there.

With the hypothetical, the only game might be 4 on a 4-3 fit. How will you get there if the 3 is not taken as suggesting a possible strain?

Or is it your point that _because_ 2/1 is not quite GF, you can't describe this hand. I certainly agree with that!

#44 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-June-05, 03:16

No, the point is that even with 2 100% GF, natural continuations simply aren't sophisticated enough to solve all these issues. We might belong in 3NT, we might belong in 4 or 4 or even in slam or 5. Showing your shape is almost always the best way to get to a good contract - at the very least you won't regularly miss 8 card major suit fits. Using different routes to describe the same shape based on suit quality is nice but places a lot of strain on the system, and doing so in anticipation of a good 7-card fit is masterminding.
If your system is good enough to have two sequences to show 45(+) but with different suit qualities for each I would take the route that best matches the example hand. I know for a fact that my continuations over 1-2 are not, so I'll just bid my suits one at a time and hope partner can do something intelligent.

#45 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-June-05, 19:21

"Using different routes to describe the same shape based on suit quality is nice but places a lot of strain on the system, and doing so in anticipation of a good 7-card fit is masterminding."

I would have said that EXCLUDING 7-card fits is masterminding.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users