BBO Discussion Forums: I’ve never seen this before - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I’ve never seen this before

#1 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-June-20, 18:01

Penticton Regional Open Pairs

On one round we encountered a very rare situation.

Board one was weird but I think we ended up not too badly, despite the odd bidding.

I was in fourth seat and passed throughout

(1C) 1S (x) P
2D. P. (3N). All pass

There’s nothing at all unusual about the auction….but dummy is unexpected

Void void 97xxxx AKQxxxx

3 N made the obvious 11 tricks…had I not led partner’s suit we might have held them to 10. I know of at least several pairs playing 5C doubled, making 11 or 12 tricks.

Turn to board two, where I’m in third seat, red v red

I held KQx Ax xxx AJ532

P (1S) to me

Even at mps, I think pass is clear, with such terrible shape and no spots in clubs.

So

P. (1S). P. (2H)
P. (3H) P. (6H)

I felt in my bones that doubling was wrong but I was a bit annoyed about the first board and our game wasn’t going well, so (knowing that I might be making it go even worse) I doubled.

I should add that I had no idea who my opps were but they were not seeded and I know pretty much all the experts in the Pacific NW.

This ended badly but the reason I’m posting is the LHO was 7=6 on back to back hands!

Void QJxxxxx AKQJxx void

Now, if only partner had held the stiff heart king😀
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-June-20, 23:12

Richard Pavlicek's bridge site - thanks - provided the odds of 7-6-0-0 shape as 17970 to 1. I have seen Zia with a 8-5-0-0 hand where the odds are 31947 to 1. But having two 7-6-0-0 hands against you back to back...well I cannot remember that either!

The opps. on the second hand cannot have been that good as instead of bidding 6 quickly surely a bid of 5NT is better. Partner could have AKx(x) and would not know whether to raise 6 to 7 but I think I would on that bidding.

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-June-21, 02:32

View PostLBengtsson, on 2023-June-20, 23:12, said:

Richard Pavlicek's bridge site - thanks - provided the odds of 7-6-0-0 shape as 17970 to 1. I have seen Zia with a 8-5-0-0 hand where the odds are 31947 to 1. But having two 7-6-0-0 hands against you back to back...well I cannot remember that either!

I've had a 10-3-0-0 which must be even lower odds. I've had opps have a 4-0-0-9 which they proceded to open 2, alerted as 4 and a longer minor.

#4 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-June-21, 06:48

1) We played them in 5 (opened) + 1 (IIRC lead), and 6=

2) We played 11 and 12 against you that session, I wanted to say hi, sorry I didn't recognize you.
3) I once had 11 missing two Xs, Kx twice, 3 weeks apart, 2 basically home games (2 tables/1 table), dealt at table, different venues, never again.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users