BBO Discussion Forums: How to declare this slam to 7 - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to declare this slam to 7

#1 User is offline   cencio 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 148
  • Joined: 2017-August-11

Posted 2023-October-02, 12:12


0

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,664
  • Joined: 2014-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2023-October-02, 13:05

Why would you want to bid to 7?

6 looks good seeing both hands but I'm just playing in 4 :(
0

#3 User is online   mw64ahw 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 908
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-October-02, 15:58

I'd upgrade the West hand and open 1NT so

1NT - 2 transfer
2 - now 3 and 4 upwards are all slam tries for me.

I end up in 6s rather than 7
0

#4 User is offline   Gilithin 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 968
  • Joined: 2014-November-13
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2023-October-02, 17:36

If you find yourself wanting to bid 30ish percent grand slams often, you might want to reconsider your approach. If nothing else, I can think of plenty of pairs who would be happy to play in money games against you. In terms of bidding the small slam, West shows a balanced 14+; East shows both red suits; West shows 3 hearts; East makes a slam try, which may or may not show shortage; West shows controls in the black suits and/or lack of a diamond control; and East checks for keycards excluding A. How that actually pans out on reality depends massively on the methods and agreements being used but that should be a reasonable plan for you to be able to translate it into the system you and your regular partner are choosing.
0

#5 User is online   sfi 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,555
  • Joined: 2009-May-18
  • Location:Oz

Posted 2023-October-02, 17:43

I wouldn't upgrade, but it still seems clear to get to slam:
1C - 1H
1NT - 3H (slam try)
3S (cue)

West can hardly have a better hand once East invites, and would guess 6H at this point. Further bidding shouldn't dissuade either hand from that target.
0

#6 User is offline   johnu 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,820
  • Joined: 2008-September-10
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2023-October-02, 20:19

Transfer to hearts

1

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,878
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2023-October-03, 01:11

View Postsmerriman, on 2023-October-02, 13:05, said:

Why would you want to bid to 7?

6 looks good seeing both hands but I'm just playing in 4 :(


7 is only a decent contract if N opens a weak NT so you know where all the cards are.
0

#8 User is offline   johnu 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,820
  • Joined: 2008-September-10
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2023-October-03, 05:59

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-October-03, 01:11, said:

7 is only a decent contract if N opens a weak NT so you know where all the cards are.

Strangely enough, if the North and South hands are swapped, South would have a weak NT and the E-W players could have really tested their bidding.
0

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,101
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2023-October-03, 11:39

View Postsfi, on 2023-October-02, 17:43, said:

I wouldn't upgrade, but it still seems clear to get to slam:
1C - 1H
1NT - 3H (slam try)
3S (cue)

West can hardly have a better hand once East invites, and would guess 6H at this point. Further bidding shouldn't dissuade either hand from that target.


I wouldn't upgrade either, although it's not outlandish (K&R 15.0, a little less in my eyes).
Our developments would be similar:
1C - 1H
1S - 3H (imposes trumps)
3S - 3N (I too control S)
4C - 4D
4N (even) - 5C
5H (denies D) - 6H (can lose DK, maybe HQ)
P
0

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,878
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2023-October-03, 11:51

View Postpescetom, on 2023-October-03, 11:39, said:

I wouldn't upgrade either, although it's not outlandish (K&R 15.0, a little less in my eyes).
Our developments would be similar:
1C - 1H
1S - 3H (imposes trumps)
3S - 3N (I too control S)
4C - 4D
4N (even) - 5C
5H (denies D) - 6H (can lose DK, maybe HQ)
P


I would upgrade out of a weak no trump, I valued this as 15.

1-1
1N (15-bad 19)-2 (asking)
2 (3 hearts not denying 4 spades, 15-16) - 3 (cue, sets hearts, partner can't have diamonds here or would have opened 1)
3 (cue) - 5 (exclusion, cannot want to play in clubs given other system bids not made)
5 (2 without Q) - 6
0

#11 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,101
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2023-October-03, 12:35

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-October-03, 11:51, said:

I would upgrade out of a weak no trump, I valued this as 15.

1-1
1N (15-bad 19)-2 (asking)
2 (3 hearts not denying 4 spades, 15-16) - 3 (cue, sets hearts, partner can't have diamonds here or would have opened 1)
3 (cue) - 5 (exclusion, cannot want to play in clubs given other system bids not made)
5 (2 without Q) - 6


To each his own. I would be unhappy to play 3 as imposition of trumps, rather than second suit or (better) secondary (re)transfer. We use the latter mechanism and would bid 3 here, opener bids 3 showing disinterest in diamonds and willingness to collaborate in hearts slam investigation.
0

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,878
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2023-October-03, 15:49

View Postpescetom, on 2023-October-03, 12:35, said:

To each his own. I would be unhappy to play 3 as imposition of trumps, rather than second suit or (better) secondary (re)transfer. We use the latter mechanism and would bid 3 here, opener bids 3 showing disinterest in diamonds and willingness to collaborate in hearts slam investigation.


Opener is KNOWN to hold 2 or 3 diamonds, there is little point in introducing the diamonds here as a suit in which you might play, this use is I think much more frequent than a slammy 5-5 in the reds where you want to know about his diamond holding and won't find out later.
0

#13 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,101
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2023-October-04, 16:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-October-03, 15:49, said:

Opener is KNOWN to hold 2 or 3 diamonds, there is little point in introducing the diamonds here as a suit in which you might play, this use is I think much more frequent than a slammy 5-5 in the reds where you want to know about his diamond holding and won't find out later.


I was referring to the strong NT equivalent where opener upgraded to 1NT and responder showed 5+4+ GF+ in the reds, opener may well hold 4+ diamonds - sorry for any confusion with the weak NT scenario.
0

#14 User is offline   Gilithin 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 968
  • Joined: 2014-November-13
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2023-October-04, 16:39

View Postpescetom, on 2023-October-04, 16:14, said:

I was referring to the strong NT equivalent where opener upgraded to 1NT and responder showed 5+4+ GF+ in the reds, opener may well hold 4+ diamonds - sorry for any confusion with the weak NT scenario.

Use second round transfers and the issue just goes away.
0

#15 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,101
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2023-October-05, 05:59

View PostGilithin, on 2023-October-04, 16:39, said:

Use second round transfers and the issue just goes away.

Indeed we do, in this case bidding 3 for diamonds: see earlier post.
0

#16 User is offline   fuzzyquack 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 75
  • Joined: 2019-March-03

Posted 2023-October-16, 14:57

1C/1N-7H
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users