BBO Discussion Forums: Sponsers/Advertisments - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sponsers/Advertisments

#1 User is offline   bridget358 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 2023-November-05

Posted 2023-November-05, 11:55

Your site sponsors and or advertisments are pornographic. Young people in compromising clothing and poses. This is discusting and rude to Bridge Players. There is no way to eliminate them, by clicking the X and choosing innapropriate does not stop these advertisements from appearing one minute later and worse.
0

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,874
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-November-05, 13:13

Wow. I don’t see any ads on this forum and definitely haven’t see inappropriate ads on BBO itself. Have you considered whether the ads you are seeing are because you or some other user of your computer/tablet/phone have visited ‘inappropriate’ sites? I think a lot of advertising is targeted according to website tracking software. For example, after shopping for a present for my wife, I got a stream of ads for similar products for a long time, even after turning off ad personalization
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,403
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2023-November-05, 15:41

View Postmikeh, on 2023-November-05, 13:13, said:

Wow. I don’t see any ads on this forum and definitely haven’t see inappropriate ads on BBO itself. Have you considered whether the ads you are seeing are because you or some other user of your computer/tablet/phone have visited ‘inappropriate’ sites?


It's a real problem that I too have encoutered on the BBO app and reported to BBO in the past, receiving apologies but also tacit admission of little power to rectify things. Definitely not due to visiting inappopriate sites: if it never happens to you then maybe google ads knows more about you than I would be comfortable with, or maybe just you never play on the app but only in a browser.
0

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,874
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-November-05, 16:27

View Postpescetom, on 2023-November-05, 15:41, said:

It's a real problem that I too have encoutered on the BBO app and reported to BBO in the past, receiving apologies but also tacit admission of little power to rectify things. Definitely not due to visiting inappopriate sites: if it never happens to you then maybe google ads knows more about you than I would be comfortable with, or maybe just you never play on the app but only in a browser.

I use an iPad on my iPad. Never had an issue. I get all kinds of ads on multiple websites. But not on BBO which is maybe weird?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,403
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2023-November-05, 16:32

View Postmikeh, on 2023-November-05, 16:27, said:

I use an iPad on my iPad. Never had an issue. I get all kinds of ads on multiple websites. But not on BBO which is maybe weird?


I have never had pornographic ads in any situation except on my Android tablet with the BBO app. It is probably the situation in which the ad providers know least about me. But other apps do not seem to attract/permit the same ads, maybe BBO has the lowest possible level of agreement or bridge is categorized as socially deviant.
Maybe the ad providers are also more attentive to US/state laws than to EU laws.
0

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

  • Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,150
  • Joined: 2003-July-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Calgary, D18; Chapala, D16

Posted 2023-November-09, 15:47

Not trying to make light of this - inappropriate ads are a nightmare, and BBO's had its share of them before - but there are those for whom "young people in compromising clothing and poses" is Shein. And arguably Shein's ads are inappropriate (and relatively useless for BBO ads - I can't imagine we are the target demographic), but SOP for 40 years.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)
0

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,403
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2023-November-09, 16:04

View Postmycroft, on 2023-November-09, 15:47, said:

Not trying to make light of this - inappropriate ads are a nightmare, and BBO's had its share of them before - but there are those for whom "young people in compromising clothing and poses" is Shein. And arguably Shein's ads are inappropriate (and relatively useless for BBO ads - I can't imagine we are the target demographic), but SOP for 40 years.

In one of the cases I mention I was being shown sexually allusive images and offered the possibility to encounter girls from Eastern Europe... gives you an idea of the level. Far from a nightmare (unless maybe you are dumb enough to show interest) but still demeaning and inappropriate.
0

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

  • Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,150
  • Joined: 2003-July-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Calgary, D18; Chapala, D16

Posted 2023-November-09, 16:23

Oh lovely. I only seem to get those (sent to Mildred, oddly enough) in my google docs account. Ick, either way (but for me, more concerning from the scam expected than the prurience. I can live with the odd bridge player seeing the odd bikini-equivalent-clad model. The thousands of moneys they could lose if they responded to that ad, I am less comfortable with).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users