BBO Discussion Forums: Pokerbridge. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pokerbridge. A game to get pokerplayers started on bridge.

#1 User is offline   carl3 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-March-05, 01:28

Pokerplayers simplyfied my game atMy link You bid by stating (honestly) how many
"tops" (=A,K or Q) you have. If you cannot bid higher than the bid before (if any) you must pass.
The highest bidder becomes declarer and the player who does not have the opening
lead looks at dummy's cards and tells how many tops there is and which is its longest
suit and how long it is (in case of a tie this info is given only for the highest ranking suit.)
The sum of the highest bid and the number of tops in dummy is the "topnumber" (tn).

Declarer now chooses a contract. If is a partscore the number of tricks contracted for is
tn+3(1) if suit (NT) is chosen but if is a gamecontract the level can be chosen freely.
If for example tn=8 4 in a major is ok but not 4 in a minor- If tn= 4 or 5 you are not
allowed to play NT.

If tn=8 you must play game but even if it is only 7 it is often a good idea to play 4 in a
major if you have 8+ cards there..Note that it is the opponents DUTY to correct declarer
if he plays from the wrong hand etc.

The players contribute 6 coins (or matches representing a certain value) each to a pot.
If declarer makes his contract he recieves 4 (2) coins from the pot it is a game (partscore).
If he fails the opponents share the same money. (in the last hand it may be less.) Overtricks
don't matter except in one case. If declarer takes ALL the tricks he wins ALL the 18 coins.

If you use this game to introduce beginners you provide the pot and play without this last rule.
Why should this be better than minbridge you may well ask. To get the young of today
to play an old game like bridge you need an incitament but when they discover how fun
bridge (even in this simple form) is, the money is no longer needed. Also both the bidding and
the choice of contract is much faster in this game than in minibridge. And finally the contracts
in minibridge are often soft which is not the case here. Most of the time they are however quite playable. Why don't you at least try the game?

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2024-March-05, 01:42

I thought this was going to be a post about bridge in the Main Bridge Club.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#3 User is offline   carl3 

• PipPip

Posted 2024-March-05, 06:02

View Postjillybean, on 2024-March-05, 01:42, said:

I thought this was going to be a post about bridge in the Main Bridge Club.

Do you mean by your reply that this game does not belong here? But everything that could be done to get more bridgeplayers should be done and pokerplayers is
not such a bad "target group"IMO. And it is an exciting game... Recently when I played it the matches were worth 20 SK each. Before the last game I had 8 matches
and the others 6 and 0 matches each with 4 matches still in the pot. The player with 0 matches bid game. He made it but was just one trick away from
taking all the tricks. Had he done so he would have won 240 SK. 1instead he lost 40 SK to me. Best Regards. Carl

#4 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-March-05, 13:35

View Postcarl3, on 2024-March-05, 06:02, said:

Do you mean by your reply that this game does not belong here?

You've created the same thread 7 times on this forum, including under duplicate accounts pretending to be someone else. You were doing the same thing on BridgeWinners, until your account got banned for repetitive spamming.

Please stop; you received sufficient feedback the first time you posted it.

#5 User is offline   carl3 

• PipPip

Posted 2024-March-06, 01:45

View Postsmerriman, on 2024-March-05, 13:35, said:

You've created the same thread 7 times on this forum, including under duplicate accounts pretending to be someone else. You were doing the same thing on BridgeWinners, until your account got banned for repetitive spamming.

Please stop; you received sufficient feedback the first time you posted it.

The "Topgame" is probably the best solution when a fourth player cannot be found but you have to play it to understand that.

Long ago a variation was published in "Mister Bridge" and an English bridgeteacher praised it and said that he was now
using it instead of Minibridge.

But now when the "Pokerbridgevariation" is becoming popular noone will play the Topgame which I think is a little sad
considering how much I have worked to perfect it. Best regards. Carl

PS (To Seligman) I admire your solution of that 4333 problem.

#6 User is offline   lackeman 

• PipPip

Posted 2024-March-17, 04:00

View Postcarl3, on 2024-March-06, 01:45, said:

The "Topgame" is probably the best solution when a fourth player cannot be found but you have to play it to understand that.

Long ago a variation was published in "Mister Bridge" and an English bridgeteacher praised it and said that he was now
using it instead of Minibridge.

But now when the "Pokerbridgevariation" is becoming popular noone will play the Topgame which I think is a little sad
considering how much I have worked to perfect it. Best regards. Carl

PS (To Seligman) I admire your solution of that 4333 problem.

I have played his game and i like it. It work well if play with money. And if u are only 3 players

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users