BBO Discussion Forums: Confused about Bot's Negative Doubles - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Confused about Bot's Negative Doubles

#1 User is offline   msheald 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-March-17, 05:04

Hello! In general, I've been taught that a negative double means exactly 4 cards while a bid means 5+ cards. I realize that this depends on point count and the level of the bidding. However, I've had the bot give a negative double regardless of level and point count, be that at the one level or higher, when it holds 5 cards. That is confusing to me.

Here is a recent example.

https://tinyurl.com/266rgk5o

I realize that 10 points would be borderline 3 hearts bid at the three level, and I think that there are folks who might prefer a negative double in this situation. Personally, I think that a negative double would be the correct bid at IMPs but the suit bid would be the correct bid in MP.

In one of today's deals, I had the same thing happen at the one level. (The deal is closed now, so I'll post it tomorrow.) Would anyone use a negative double at the one level when responder has 5 cards in a suit? Perhaps with a bust hand when trying to keep the bidding open, but I think that is incorrect at IMPs, (and maybe correct at MP), but even I would rarely use it in MP, and I tend to be an aggressive bidder. Best regards.

Mike

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-March-17, 12:59

1m (1) x shows either exactly 4 hearts, or 5+ hearts but not quite strong enough to bid 2. So it is very common to double there at the one level with longer hearts, rather than meekly pass. If you get the opportunity to rebid 2 at your second turn, this tells partner you don't have invitational values.

GIB's bid in the first hand above just seems silly though.

#3 User is offline   msheald 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2024-March-18, 04:11

Thank you! I appreciate your comment. Best regards.

Mike

#4 User is offline   msheald 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2024-April-17, 03:57

Another example.

My human partner and I do not play negative doubles this way. With 5 or more, we bid the suit. With a weak hand, like 5 points and 5 cards where the negative double would force bidding at the two level, we might double rather than bid the suit. In this example, with a 6-card suit and 8 points where partner would have the opportunity to bid at the two level, we would never use a negative double. We try not to mislead one another with our bids, and a negative double in this situation would do that since we don't play negative doubles his way. Best regards.

Mike

https://tinyurl.com/24k8jy6e

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users