• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Compatability ratings

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-August-23, 20:33

Hi

Can I ask how compatability ratings are worked out and whether they can be trusted in any way in partnership desks for tourneys

Just asking because once when kibitizing I found I was given 2 and half stars compatability with Bob Hamman
My concerns purely relate to ability. Nothing personal

And if the algorithm somehow were able to predict personal compatiability that is even more important at a Bridge table lol

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2024-August-24, 03:30

BBO’s compatibility ratings are mostly based on country and language. The idea is that if you can chat with someone and share a common bridge culture, you're halfway to a good game. We also consider things like friendliness and experience, but we don’t reveal every detail to keep things simple and avoid any debates.

The compatibility rating is just a guide for when you’re not sure who to partner with — it’s not an advanced matching system. The main thing we focus on is whether you and your potential partner are from the same region and can communicate easily. Convention cards or system notes don’t factor into the rating at the moment.

#3 User is offline   Joe_Old 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-August-25, 14:35

The problem is: the system also gives two stars (or more) to players I've "ignored", which is halfway to a public meltdown

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-August-25, 14:53

View PostJoe_Old, on 2024-August-25, 14:35, said:

The problem is: the system also gives two stars (or more) to players I've "ignored", which is halfway to a public meltdown

From what I see, most "ignoring" is between highly compatible regular partners after a fight :)

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2024-August-28, 16:28

Joe_Old, on 2024-August-25, 14:35, said:

I'm not sure why it doesn't take that into account. But since these players are shown in black to you, it's not clear that you need the compatibility stars to tell you to avoid them.

We do take account of "popularity", the ratio of the number of people who are following you to the number of people who are ignoring you. If you have similar ratios, you're more compatible.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users