• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lead problem

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-05, 18:29

Your LHO is an intermediate minus player, RHO is a pro. They play 2/1.
What would you lead?

EDIT: Team Match (swiss)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-May-05, 20:03

I'm not an expert (as I have said previously) but East appears to be 6-5 in the majors. I would lead a trump as that may prevent East setting up his/her suit with a ruff in dummy

#3 User is offline   JonnyQuest 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-05, 21:25

Q

#4 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-05, 23:10

The Club J hoping to set up a trick there on the go and then cash our side A.
But both the trump and heart Q could be winners.
But we can assume partner has no trumps or cannot ruff the diamonds.

#5 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-May-05, 23:18

View PostMrAce, on 2018-May-05, 18:29, said:

Your LHO is an intermediate minus player, RHO is a pro. They play 2/1.
What would you lead?

K Safe lead. Gives nothing away
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#6 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-06, 00:49

Not an expert too but I go with Felicity and lead a trump.
Declarer is at least 56xx but no need to rush into a minor as declarer probably can’t discard (it is unlikely dummy has JD and CAK).
Dummy is 3x6x or longer Ds, with singleton or void hearts (or partner would have 8-9 clubs and not stay silent if short suit is clubs, and with 6322 shape dummy might have rebid 1NT).
I have a nice opposition in D so they won’t establish (in case communications are easy for declarer). I hope partner will hold something to prevent the establishment of the H suit too.
Given my trumps are very small, leading trumps will also prevent a high crossruf (8 trumps + 3 aces = only 11 anyway).

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2018-May-06, 01:10

Declarer is probably 5=6=1=1 for his use of keycard. Dummy should be 3=1=6=3 or possibly 3=2=6=2, altho that inference may not be reliable with a weak player.

I lead a club, since if declarer has a high card entry to his hand in a minor, it rates to be in that suit so I attack that entry. It's close between this and a trump , hoping Lho has two hearts and we can score a cheap ruff and play another trump. However I expect Lho to have a stiff heart anyway and I want to make declarer use ruffs back to his hand, banking on 3-2 trumps
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-06, 02:28

No doubt this is wrong but, I’d be tempted to lead QH. As east has not made any grand slam try it suggests that he has an ace missing. Given West’s bidding it looks like he holds both minor suit aces, hence partner should have one of the major suit aces. Either will do, and should enable his to get in and give me a ruff for the setting trick, assuming of course that dummy can’t over-ruff. It looks like the QH is dead meat anyway, so the lead probably won’t give away. A trick.

#9 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-May-06, 04:40

Heart Queen.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-06, 06:19

Thanks all for the replies.
I was the East player. Received J lead. Won in hand with the K and played a to K and then I played T which is covered by J and I ducked the 2nd . North tried playing trump but I won with the 9 and played small 3rd , ruffed with J and cleared trumps and claimed.
The full deal is;

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-06, 06:39

You are clearly a very supportive partner, Timo!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#12 User is offline   dond01 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-May-06, 09:22

On a side note - looks like East was also fortunate on this deal that West decided to support spades instead of the presumably equal or longer hearts, given West's holdings.

#13 User is offline   mrt2000 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-May-06, 13:01

View PostMrAce, on 2018-May-06, 06:19, said:

Thanks all for the replies.
I was the East player. Received J lead. Won in hand with the K and played a to K and then I played T which is covered by J and I ducked the 2nd . North tried playing trump but I won with the 9 and played small 3rd , ruffed with J and cleared trumps and claimed.
The full deal is;

If N doesn't cover the 10 you go off.

#14 User is offline   pes_6 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-May-06, 13:20

Lead: Q

#15 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-06, 13:34

View Postmrt2000, on 2018-May-06, 13:01, said:

Redouble.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#16 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-06, 16:53

It's either a trump or a club, and I have to admit I probably would have made the mistake of leading a club (only a trump beats it).

The Qh is wrong, because partner, who has some heart length, had a chance to X 5H and he didn't do it; thus, he doesn't have the Ah. The diamond is likewise wrong, as partner had a chance to X 6S to ask for a diamond lead and he didn't that, either. So that leaves a club, trying to build a club trick, or a trump, trying to stop a heart ruff. I think I would have led the wrong black suit.

#17 User is offline   thawp66 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-May-07, 07:33

View Postmrt2000, on 2018-May-06, 13:01, said:

IMHO North should duck the H T (though it seems counterintuitive). At which point E should STILL duck. If S wins the now stiff J, you sltill make 6 in similar way as before. The only reason to play A is to make 7 which is crazy in IMPS and probably not a good play in match points either as 6 making rates to be a good board.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users