BBO Discussion Forums: What do you think about our 2 level openings? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you think about our 2 level openings?

#1 User is offline   Chris2794 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Bridge, Bridge .. did I mention Bridge? The Big Bang Theroy; Bridge; Reading;

Posted 2011-June-07, 09:02

Hey everyone,

I just wanna know what you guys think about the 2 level openings we're playing at the moment.

In general we're playing 2/1 GF and 14-16 NT with 5cM or semibalanced hands.

So here are our 2 level openings:

2: Any semi/gameforcing (2 Relay, 2=any GF after that)
2: Either a weak two in or , 16-19 with a 6 card or or 16-19 any 4441
2/2: 11-15, 5/ + 4+m

Whats your opinion about that? Do you think its good to play that? Any other suggestions?
Maths science history unravelling the mystery and all started with a big bang :]

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-June-07, 09:16

View PostChris2794, on 2011-June-07, 09:02, said:

2: Any semi/gameforcing (2 Relay, 2=any GF after that)

Opening "semiforcings" at the 2-level is of course popular in Germany but I think they are better opened at the 1-level.

I think this bid is very bad. Either responder can never preempt when he has both majors, or opener will be screwed when he has a 16-19 hand.

2/2: 11-15, 5/ + 4+m

I think playing these as 11-15, 5/ and 4+ clubs is hard enough. So with an ambiguous minor it is probably overloaded.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-07, 09:27

I think most 16-19 counts with six clubs or diamonds can easily open at the 1-level. Same with 4441 hands.

Also, with a 16-19 4441 hand you may already be too high when you have to rebid 2NT or higher. There is also an issue with responder's second bid:

2-2
2NT-?

Now presumably 3 and 3 are both to play (unless that suit happens to be opener's singleton) so responder would have to bid 3/ to force. Opposite 16-19 I would like to be able to invite, though.

It also gets awkward if reponder starts with 2NT or 3 and opener now has to show one of the many strong hands he can have.

I would prefer either not to put any strong hands into the multi, or only put some very strong hands into it. Hands that are too strong to open at the 1-level.

If 2 contains any (semi)gf hand then it is very difficult to handle preempts by the opps. Say it goes:

2-(3)-pass-(4)
?

Now it is a big advantage if opener has already denied a variety of shapes (those which are in the 2 opening).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-07, 09:40

Hi,

You can include hand with 5 hearts and 4 spades in the 2H opener, the "Flannery hand".

I am not good at analysing systems.

Your responses to 1m openings is major first?

The consequence of your 2 level openings is, that when opener is
showing a 2-suiter, he has reverse strength?

In general: Try to formulate, what you want to achieve with your
2-level opening bids.
One task of your 2-level opening bids is to make your 1-level opening
bids better defined.

With kind regards
Marlowe

PS: As Helene pointed out, I dont think, you need to include the strong
1-suiter in a minor in the 2D multi opening bid. Less ambiquity make the bid
better.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-07, 10:55

Whats your opinion about that? Do you think its good to play that? Any other suggestions?

I have no objection to what you choose to play 2 and 2M openings. But having played MULTI and almost its all versions, i can easily tell that you are extremely reducing the effectiveness of your MULTI by putting too much options in it, which will cause responder to bid shy when it is right time to put pressure on opponents, with the fear of some other possibilities u may hold. No need to mention, when they overcall, YOU will be the HUNT instead of HUNTER, a nice way of creating bidding puzzles for your side imho.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-June-07, 17:03

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-June-07, 09:16, said:

Opening "semiforcings" at the 2-level is of course popular in Germany but I think they are better opened at the 1-level.

I think this bid is very bad. Either responder can never preempt when he has both majors, or opener will be screwed when he has a 16-19 hand.

I think playing these as 11-15, 5/ and 4+ clubs is hard enough. So with an ambiguous minor it is probably overloaded.

I agree with these comments. I think the openings are very poorly conceived for the reasons given above.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#7 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-June-08, 06:09

I don't see the point of sacrificing several opening bids for hands that don't cause problems (except the 4441's, but everyone has the same problem). 16-19 hands with 6+m or 4441 have no problems opening at 1-level, same with 11-15 with 5M-4m (1M-1NT-2m). Moreover, the strong versions in the multi make the multi a lot worse (I prefer minimulti containing only the weak 2M versions).

Perhaps it would be interesting to know why you want to play this structure.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-08, 06:18

I've played 2M as M+ to allow for a completely artifical 2 rebid after a 1M opening, but I can't imagine that you would need both 2 and 2 as artifical rebids.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   Chris2794 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Bridge, Bridge .. did I mention Bridge? The Big Bang Theroy; Bridge; Reading;

Posted 2011-June-08, 09:15

I thiik this bid is very bad. Either responder can never preempt when he has both majors, or opener will be screwed when he has a 16-19 hand.

Thats a huge point and I totally agree with you. We're actually playing 1/1-1x-3/3 as a preemptive jump but the 2 multi is bad at this point.

It works quite well and the reason we're playing this 2M openings is that we do not play Gazzilli or something like that. A 2m rebid after 1M opening shows 16+

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-June-07, 09:27, said:

Now presumably 3 and 3 are both to play (unless that suit happens to be opener's singleton) so responder would have to bid 3/ to force. Opposite 16-19 I would like to be able to invite, though.

3 is a Relay, asking for the singleton. So we never can play 3 even if we wanted.

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-June-07, 09:27, said:

It also gets awkward if reponder starts with 2NT or 3 and opener now has to show one of the many strong hands he can have.

We have solved the problem with strong / hands after 2NT by playing 3/3 either as weak with / (minimum hand) or 16-19 with /. So the responder can now bid 3/3 or 3M (paco) to see what opener has. With the 6card minor the opener will bid 3NT now.

But now I've got one more question for you:

What do you prefer as 2 level openings?
Maths science history unravelling the mystery and all started with a big bang :]

#10 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-08, 13:03

View PostChris2794, on 2011-June-08, 09:15, said:

I like:
2 22+ balanced or any GF
2 Wilkosz
2 Weak 2 in Hearts
2 Weak 2 in Spades

Wilkosz is of course not allowed in very many events, so you can play something else like Weak 2 in Diamonds instead. Maybe I will try 2 = 17-18 balanced one of these days.

Another scheme I play with one partner, which is more useful for crushing LOLs at the club:
2 22-23 balanced or any GF
2 24-25 balanced or Weak 2 in Hearts or Weak 2 in Spades
2 5-10 points 4+ hearts 4+ spades (not 4-4 if 5-7 points)
2 5+ spades 5+ minor weak
    -- Bertrand Russell

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-08, 13:06

It works quite well and the reason we're playing this 2M openings is that we do not play Gazzilli or something like that. A 2m rebid after 1M opening shows 16+

I happen to know that you can memorize things which are much more complicated than Gazzilli, and Gazzilli is definitely worth it. ;)

Anyway if you want to keep this idea I would recommend changing the 2M openings to 11-13, rebidding 2m with 14-17 and rebidding 3m with 18+, or something like that.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-June-08, 13:16

I don't play it myself, but I think that 2-bids which are weak in the suit above or specific strong hands can be effective and fun.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#13 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-June-08, 16:21

IMO, your Multi is a bit overloaded but including 4441s means that you are likely to harvest the occasional penalty.

#14 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-10, 12:48

For years I have played multi 2 as either a weak 2 in a major or varieties of very strong NT or any GF suited hand, and have used the 2 and 2 as tightly defined 9-11 and exactly 5 card suits, and that worked well. The distinction between 5 cards and 6 is useful.

However I am now in one partnership playing the stong hands incorporated in the 2 open (Kokish type) and reverting to standard weak 2M (may be 5 card), and have 2 as as least 44 in the majors (probably called Ekren) 6-11 count and we are having great fun with it. We have a response to the weak 2 of the next step over 2M as asking, with step replies of weaker 5, weaker 6, stronger 5, stronger 6. With 2M being 5 or 6 you cant preempt so effectively, but you get more disruptive bids into the reckoning than you would weak pure 6 carders. Similarly 2NT over 2 has a clarification set of responses, but any major bid is to play. The 2 open is real fun. Don't ask me if it's the best method - I play for fun not money.

#15 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-10, 12:53

Incidentally, my preference for handling the 3 suiters is to play 1 as either a 6 card suit, or as any hand with a singleton or void other than diamonds, all semibalanced hands not in the 15-16 range going into the 1 open. It copes very well.

#16 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-10, 13:36

Given the choice between

2 Some weak hand with hearts (e.g. Weak 2)
2 Ekrens

and

2 Ekrens
2 Some weak hand with hearts (e.g. Weak 2)

I think I prefer the latter, on the grounds that I want opps to have as little room as possible for finding their penalty doubles against my Ekrens opening. But having decided this, it becomes perfectly reasonable to put another handtype into 2.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#17 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-10, 15:18

One big problem for 14-16 1NT is how to handle balanced 19. 1x 1y 2N usually shows 17-18, so it is certainly a headache to handle those 19 balanced hands. Perhaps a strong 2D showing 19-20 balanced is a good convention that is compatible with 14-16 1NT natural systems.

#18 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-11, 03:20

View Postxxhong, on 2011-June-10, 15:18, said:

One big problem for 14-16 1NT is how to handle balanced 19. 1x 1y 2N usually shows 17-18, so it is certainly a headache to handle those 19 balanced hands. Perhaps a strong 2D showing 19-20 balanced is a good convention that is compatible with 14-16 1NT natural systems.

Transfer walsh does this for you if you play the version where balanced opener with 2 or 3 of the major completes the transfer, but with 17+ breaks the transfer.

My preference is for a full strength 12 count balanced open, so with 12-14 complete the transfer, with 15-16 would have opened 1NT so not be in that position (it also helps having 2 point NT ranges, as responder does not need to be game forcing to use stayman), with 17/18 break the transfer and bid 1NT, with 19 jumping to 2NT. Of course with 4 card major support you raise in various ways.

This solves the problem perfectly, as well as the other benefits given by transfer walsh.

#19 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-June-11, 04:43

Too many hands, and the strong hands aren't strong enough so they will come up and those auctions will be awful. sorryyy
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#20 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-June-11, 13:26

The multi 2D with lots of common and fairly strong hands is a very weak part of the system imo.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users