BBO Discussion Forums: Is this a pre-empt? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this a pre-empt? 2/1 ACBL

Poll: Is this a pre-empt? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

1 diamond or 2 diamond?

1. 1 Diamond (11 votes [57.89%])

Percentage of vote: 57.89%

2. 2 diamonds (5 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

3. another bid (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

if 2 diamonds what should West bid after 2hearts and 3 heart raise?

1. Pass after bidding 3 diamonds (8 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

2. 3 diamonds then 4 diamonds (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

3. another bid (10 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-16, 07:06

View Postmtvesuvius, on 2011-June-15, 10:38, said:

Anyway, pretty much every post she makes gets downvoted by someone, because they all have the same worthless and annoying advice -- Agree what the bid means with your partner... The posts that don't tell us to have an agreement with partner are usually some very badly thought out logic, or misinterpretation of some post or hand.

Just telling people to have an agreement with their partner is totally pointless, and is spam IMO

And there you have it, Lurpoa, that is why I downvote almost every single one of your posts.

I think that this is a bit unfair. Lurpoa's posts in this thread, at least, are pretty similar to other people's.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-16, 07:49

I like what Justin said about preempts vs a passed pd.

OFFTOPIC: With all due respect to your rights of posting what you believe, Lurpoa, I also agree that advicing people to have a pdship agreement on each post is being annoying and is a kind of spam as Adam said.

At first i thought Justin was being harsh in some of his replies in forums, when i talked to him in private and read his replies over the time in these forums, i figured that he is genuinely saying what he believes is right. If i were you,when he disagres with you, instead of taking it personal and downvoting, i would take it as an honest answer. Not every good players spares their time to reply these topics each and every day. We have Justin, Andy, Francis, Cherdano, Helene,Phil,Csaba,Han,Adam, RHM,655321... and lot more i forgot to mention here that i love to read/debate.. even when i strongly disagree with them from time to time or even when they think my opinion was ridicilious.

And there are people like me, who tries to be better player tomorrow than today, not to prove anything to others but to themselves, and i see it as a great oportunity to debate/discuss/read these people in order to improve. Please dont discourage them with downvotes.

We all need to slow down and go easy with those downvotes, or it will lose its value and importance. Or maybe we will recieve more political replies compared to honest replies due to down and upvote scoring. I found myself upvoting people just because i thought they are downvoted unjustified or vice versa. Perhaps what i am doing is wrong too.

I am willing to see someone whose english is better than me to start a topic about discussing this new vote system.

I wont be offended to be downvoted for going off topic here, probably deserved. But i had to say it eventhough earlier i said i will not speak on this issue ever again.

Sorry
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-June-16, 08:08

Oops, I misclicked on -. I wanted to vote +. Sorry MrAce :(
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#24 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-June-16, 08:40

View PostLurpoa, on 2011-June-15, 03:14, said:

But now: 1 overcall is OK. No, not a 2 overcall, which, will make it impossible to find a 44 fit.

Partner passed, your opponents opened, and the thing you are most worried about is missing a 4-4 spade fit? Bridge is not quite that simple.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#25 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-June-16, 11:31

Pard is a passed hand, so 2 is fine. Over 2 West can bid 3, showing support and a max passed hand. This is done in case overcaller has an unusual preempt, as players sometimes have opposite passed hands.

#26 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-June-16, 11:33

View PostMrAce, on 2011-June-16, 07:49, said:

(...) downvotes. (...)

Something we could definitely live without. No need to revive the dark days of witch-hunting.

#27 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-16, 14:29

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-June-15, 02:28, said:

After preempting you should not bid again. But if you were going to pick a time to do so, a hand with great defense (for a preempt) and pretty bad offense when the opps have bid a partial is not the right time.

Partner can compete if it's right. And indeed, partner with 4 diamonds, a good hand, and a stiff heart will surely compete (or just bid 4D the first time).

Justin, perhaps one of us misread the OP. I thought the 2nd poll question was asking what West (partner, in your terms) should do with his hand. But then your next sentence answered that. Or maybe I was reading something into your response that is not there.

#28 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-16, 14:42

Not playing "standard" methods (in which a cue-bid would be Michaels), I would bid 2 playing Top and Bottom cue-bids a la Hardy. West can then comfortably jump to 4, as he will expect East to have 6 diamonds.

Playing "standard" methods, I'd start with 2, expect West to bid 3 over 2, and would pass over 3. Let partner decide whether to defend.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#29 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-20, 13:06

View PostLurpoa, on 2011-June-15, 00:24, said:

And indeed, I open on the W-hand: 1....

whether to open 4144 1 or 1 depends on partnership agreement

#30 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-20, 14:31

1 is fine in my book, I have decent values and a good suit. I don't see much upside in pre-empting when holding the suit.
If indeed a fit exists it will be much more difficult to locate if I bid 2 at my first turn. Another reason to forego the pre-empt is defensive potential with 6 points outside .
IMO there are just too many flaws to bid 2.
I would open the West hand in 1st seat 1.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users