BBO Discussion Forums: The Official BBO BBQ and Grilling Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Official BBO BBQ and Grilling Thread Tips, tricks, suggestions, links, recipes, questions....

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2011-July-16, 15:07

For our anniversary this year, my wife and I decided on a bistro set with umbrella and an outdoor charcoal grill. So far, it has been 100+ degrees more days than not, but that has not deterred me from sweating over kabobs, steaks, hamburgers, and today grilled corn on the cob, grilled onions with red bell peppers, and grilled bratwurst on onion pita bread with Dujon mustard.

This is my first experience with outdoor grilling, so any tips, recipes, etc. would be appreciated.

Bon Appetit!
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-16, 15:39

I just bought a new one. The box wouldn't fit in the trunk so I opened it and loaded up all the pieces.

Forgot to load the assembly instructions so I'll get back to you next week (I hope).
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-July-16, 16:25

Grilled corn-on-the-cob.

First time was a failure, so this time I followed Bobby Flay's instructions and it was awesome - it gives the corn a smokey, nutty flavoring. Pull down the husks and remove the silks, then pull the husks up. Soak in water, shake off excess water, and then grill for about 30-45 minutes*, turning every 15 minutes.

Times will vary greatly depending on grill, it seems. Some recipes call for 15-20 minutes, but mine took about 45.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-16, 16:40

You can barbecue almost anything including your dessert.

A couple of favourites of mine:

Take half an aubergine/eggplant. Cut a diagonal groove in the skin and put sliced garlic in the groove. A little olive oil and barbecue till really tender.

Take a banana, slit the skin, put a square or two of good quality dark chocolate inside, wrap in foil and barbecue.

#5 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2011-July-16, 17:40

I hope to see more on this thread. We bought a grill last year but we have not used it all that much. I thought I was the only guy in the U.S. that was not an expert on grilling but maybe there is at least one other. So I will be looking forward to suggestions.
Ken

#6 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-16, 18:26

Weber Smoky Mountain is the correct answer to any question about smokers in this thread.
OK
bed

#7 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-16, 18:42

I grilled squash, eggplant, onion and rosemary spiced lamb sausage for dinner this eve. and served with basil vinaigrette*, fresh mozz and tomatoes.

* large bunch of fresh basil, several garlic cloves, a green chili pepper, a shallot, 2-3 tbs soy sauce and 1/4 c olive oil. Throw in blender, spoon onto plates then put other stuff on top.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#8 User is offline   heyrocky 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:mountains, college basketball, math

Posted 2011-July-16, 20:56

For those that do not like them (me!), grilling vegetables makes them close to palatable. Well, most of them. I like grilling corn using Bobby Flay's method, but still don't like to eat it. Those I grill for like their corn that way.

Has anyone tried pizza on the grill? I imagine a slightly drier crust dough would be needed, but have not tried it myself.

#9 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-July-16, 21:25

I found a use for the declining coals today. Instead of simply waiting for the coals to die out, I cut corn tortillas into quarters and placed them on the grill and lowered the lid - about 20-30 minutes later I had homemade tortilla chips, salt free.

I had made pico de gallo (spelling?) earlier - very simple and a favorite.

I am becoming a big fan of grilled vegetables, also, and I usually grill any bread we will be having while the meat dish rests.

Does anyone use thermometers when they grill? I know I was a bit nervous about the bratwurst today, but it came out perfectly, although that could have been luck. Burgers last weekend were a bit underdone, I thought.

Also, I have buffalo hamburger meat - any suggestions?

#10 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-17, 12:01

I don't usually use a thermometer for grilling burgers, steaks, chicken parts or fish. I do use a timer.

For other stuff, like smoking a pork tenderloin or grilling a leg of lamb or a whole chicken, I use a digital thermometer connected to a probe by a 2 foot or so long metal cable.

Grilling a whole chicken is the new thing around here. Just cut out the back with kitchen scissors, marinate in 1/4 cup oil and spices for a few hours, and grill on med heat with lid closed for approx 20 minutes per side. Pretty reliable and easy. My dog likes the raw chicken backs.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#11 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-July-17, 13:36

This is my first experience with outdoor grilling. Any suggestions about using the different types of heat? I am unclear as to whether the top should be up or down and when to do which.

So far I have used direct heat (top up) for items like steaks, burgers, sliced veggies, kabobs, and used convection (top down) for slower cooking items like corn-on-the-cob and would also use that for roasting a chicken or for ribs.

#12 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-July-17, 13:42

Grilled watermelon with feta cheese is DIVINE

Cut watermelon into steaks
Throw on a bit of salt to draw out some water
let sit for 30 minutes or so

brush with a bit of olive oil and throw it on the grill
serve with good feta cheese
Alderaan delenda est

#13 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-July-17, 16:48

I never would have dreamed to try to grill watermelon. Thanks, Richard.

#14 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-July-17, 17:19

I ran into in a restaurant a couple years back.

Its getting increasingly popular

http://www.food.com/...termelon-317554

(the important thing is the feta)
Alderaan delenda est

#15 User is offline   G_R__E_G 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-18, 07:15

Best burgers you'll ever have, four ingredients. Ground sirloin, Montreal steak spice, ketchup, soya sauce. I've heard that Montreal steak spice may be called Canadian steak spice in the USA. If you can't find it then I'd suggest buying some and taking it home with you if you're coming to the NABC. I can't really tell you quantities as we just wing it but I'd guess that for a couple of pounds of meat we'd use about 1/3 cup of ketchup, 2 heaping tablespoons of spice and a couple of teaspoons of soya. As for instructions - mix, grill, eat. :)
Visit my club website www.midlanddbc.com

#16 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-July-18, 07:21

BTW, this is probably viewed as hertical, however, here's how I "grill" hamburgers

Start with a 50-50 mix of ground sirloin and coarse ground chuck
Mix in whatever you want for spices (I normally go with some fine diced shallots and garlic and a bit of fish sauce. Maybe some tomato confit)
Shape the meat into a patty
Seal each patty into a small ziplock bag and suction out all the air
Submerge in a 132 degree water bath for 1 hour

Finish by flash searing on the grill
Alderaan delenda est

#17 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-July-18, 08:02

Buy some fresh mussels, place them in an aluminium foil tray, and put it on the grill until they open. Wonderful appetizer while drinking a glass of Champagne.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#18 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-18, 11:51

Grilling? I like it quick and easy >>> My prefered dish is grilled trout /whole fishes, not a filets/ with lemon slices, rosemary and garlic clothes. about 12-14 minutes, the grill should be so hot as possible. Excellent with Mosel wine and french baguettes.
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#19 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-July-18, 13:07

Pork back ribs....marinate in Oyster Sauce and chopped oregano (be generous with both), then brown on the grill, preferably with lots of the chopped (fresh)oregano still clinging to the ribs, until they (the oregano, not the ribs) all char and fall off....turning quite frequently, while basting, generously, with more Oyster sauce.

Test for doneness by lifting one end of the rack and bending it back over towards the other end (I suggest tongs for this unless you like bbq'd fingers.....altho with the oyster sauce and oregano, the fingers might taste ok anyway)....if the meat breaks, then it's done.

Cut into individual ribs and place in a large bowl and toss with fresh lemon juice and serve.

Everyone who has tasted these says they are either the best or amongst the best they've ever tasted...the friends who gave us this recipe said it repeatedly won an annual BBQ cook-off contest in their home town.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#20 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-July-18, 13:22

MikeH - nice to see you post again!

I hope you contribute more than BBQ recipes :)
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users