Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weak 2 opener pushed to 5NT

#1 User is offline   Sharson 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-23, 01:37

I opened a weak 2D bid with 6 diamonds and when the bid came back to partner I was raised to 5D. We went down 2, vulnerable. My partner said after the play, that she had 18 high card points. I had 8 high card points, however, in a weak bid opener, it could have been as low as five, when this bid was made.
Two weeks ago, I was put into a small slam after a weak 2 opening by another partner. The bidding went between opponents and partner and landed at 6 spades. Again we went down.
I am beginning to be leary of a weak 2 opening. Is is better to sit back and let the bidding pass me by? Then higher point hands could present points in an opening, before I show my "weak" long suited hand or just support partners hand?

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-August-23, 01:46

Your partners should learn to bid better. You should also agree on some sort of asking bid, e.g. Ogust, with which you can ascertain your side's combined assets with reasonable accuracy at a very cheap level (much lower than slam).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-23, 02:13

Agree with gwnn, your partners did poorly.

After a weak two in a minor, the main target for your partnership is to find if 3NT is a playable spot. If partner had 18HCP, then he should've investigated 3NT instead of bidding 5.

General advice: when you open a weak two, then shut up for the rest of the auction (unless partner bids forcing ofcourse). If you are planning to rebid at 3-level on your own when opps intervene, then you should just open at 3-level instead of 2. This would prevent the second disaster you described.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-August-23, 02:17

Anyway might we see the hands? I feel ill at ease to criticise your partner when maybe you also are a little to blame. :)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#5 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-23, 05:27

Weak 2's are valuable bids played by beginners and experts alike. Essentially, pre-emptive in nature they often cause the opponents to misjudge the auction by "stealing bidding space.
On occasion your partner will have a good hand and wish to explore for game (or slam), mostly this involves the use of 2NT as an artificial asking bid. It is important to agree with partner how to respond. Common conventions use 2NT as a "Feature" ask or as "Ogust" both are easy to use and can be quite effective. I suggest you discuss with partner and go from there.

#6 User is offline   Sharson 

• Pip

Posted 2011-August-23, 09:37

View Postgwnn, on 2011-August-23, 01:46, said:

Your partners should learn to bid better. You should also agree on some sort of asking bid, e.g. Ogust, with which you can ascertain your side's combined assets with reasonable accuracy at a very cheap level (much lower than slam).

#7 User is offline   Sharson 

• Pip

Posted 2011-August-23, 09:38

View Postgwnn, on 2011-August-23, 01:46, said:

#8 User is offline   Sharson 

• Pip

Posted 2011-August-23, 09:43

Sorry as this was not online, I do not have the hands to show you. It would have been more clear if you saw them. The more I play bridge, the strategy of bidding is what makes it both fun and frustrating. Thank you for the feedback and I will look at the Ogust option. Good point, that for future questions, I will try to show the hand, if possible.

#9 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-23, 10:47

weak players (as we assume your partners to be) often bid far too much over their partners' pre-empts.

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-August-23, 11:10

View PostSharson, on 2011-August-23, 09:43, said:

Sorry as this was not online, I do not have the hands to show you. It would have been more clear if you saw them. The more I play bridge, the strategy of bidding is what makes it both fun and frustrating. Thank you for the feedback and I will look at the Ogust option. Good point, that for future questions, I will try to show the hand, if possible.

For the future, there are ways to create a hand and the auction on these fora. Check out the icons above where you are posting, and try it out, sometime.

Also, if you "multi-quote" posts, then go to big blue "add reply" at the bottom, anything you quote and respond to will all be in the same post.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   Porreankel 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-August-24, 08:30

Well.

Im not to say if your partner has made a poor bid when I have not seen the hands.

But one thing is for sure. Weak 2's are not bad, its a very fine way to describe your hand, and making it harder for your opp's to bid.
But when to use a weak 2 opening are sometimes abused.
Instead of just opening with a weak 2 when you hold something like 6-10 hp and a 6 card suit - you should really try to count loosers and winners instead. Doing this, and opening after a 1-2-3 or a 2-3-4 rule makes it much easier for both you and your partner to be precise in the biddings. You will see that a 6 card suit sometimes are better passed, and sometimes are better opening on the 3 level.

Still conventions like Ogüst are great in combination like gwnn says.

Just my 2 cents :-)

www.bridgetime.org

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 08:37

Teh fact that you have the strenght for playing a contract deosn't guarantee you will make it. It just tells you that it is worth trying for it. Learning from an only 2 hand experience is an overlearning problem, relax and keep the same path, you will see better results soon.

#13 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 09:10

When did anyone bid 5NT?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users