BBO Discussion Forums: Alerting after inetrfence over 1NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alerting after inetrfence over 1NT

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2011-August-24, 13:12

This is for an EBU jurisdiction.

I'm putting some basic bidding notes together for a new partner who is a beginner and tends to learn by wrote. She wants to play weak NT and I have found that we are more susceptible to interference and more likely to have to have agreed responses (not found a problem having played strong NT for a year).

As a general rule I want to play "system on" where possible to reduce mental strain so in these responses are the bids alterable as opposed to announced?

1NT-(2C) -? System on
P! - No interest in proceedings. I wondered about this because we do play system on and this bid conveys a meaning to partner
X! - Stayman - I'm fairly certain this is alerted
2D!/2H! - transfers as normal
2S! - transfer to minor then bid 3C! for usual pass or correct
2NT to play

I'd also be interested to know opinions on whether this is a good approach or if there is something better for B/I?

Thanks in advance

Simon

PS Most of the club wouldn't know or care but we have some good players and they will ask or challenge and if she isn't sure partner gets flustered so its important for her benefit we get the rights

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-August-24, 13:13

If 2N is indeed to play, i.e. signoff, you must alert.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-August-24, 14:14

I think it's quite fine to play systems on over 2 and double, but you must play systems off when the interference is higher. (My personal recommendation: Lebensohl is a must, and double is for takeout.)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-24, 15:44

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-August-24, 14:14, said:

I think it's quite fine to play systems on over 2 and double, but you must play systems off when the interference is higher. (My personal recommendation: Lebensohl is a must, and double is for takeout.)

Agreed. Simple Lebensohl (the 2nt relay bit vs. 3x forcing) and negative doubles are enough.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-24, 17:18

2NT is not "to play", if you play system on. I suppose you mean "invitational".

You will have to alert (not announce) transfers over interference. Also you might have to alter the double. I am not sure if a double meaning "stayman" is alertable if 2 was a natural bid (it may be sufficiantly similar to a t/o double on clubs to count as such) but if 2 was artificial, the default meaning of double is that it shows clubs. Also, if a 2 response to the double denies majors (as in Stayman) you must alert.

You don't have to alert transfer accepts, though.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-August-24, 19:29

On your first one--if the meaning of PASS is that it has no meaning, that is not alertable anywhere, I hope. The mere fact that the pass denies certain holdings which different calls would show should not make it alertable.

If the pass requires a redouble after 1NT is doubled, that is tougher. It is not simple, because we are moving toward explanation of what actual calls mean -- not what the person doing the alerting is going to do.

A long time ago, 1N (X) P! was alerted by nearly all weak notrumpers because it required opener to keep the auction alive.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-August-25, 03:11

System on with X = Stayman is an excellent approach for B/I over a 2C overcall. Unfortunately it does not work over higher-level interference. If you can cope with Lebensohl or Rubensohl over a 2DHS overcall then this is recommended, if not then just play 2bids weak, 3bids game-forcing and a take-out double.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   Porreankel 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-25, 03:59

Well i actually don't agree.
Your argument wanting to play system on, would also fit if you were to play system off.

Playing a (11)12-14 1NT you will see that your opp's will interfeer a bit looser than you are used to. You will also see a lot of modified defence systems on 1NT when playing 12-14 instead of 15-17. So a lot of players will X instead of bidding. That means that converting to 12-14NT your escape system are the most important. You have several to choose from, but Nilsland is great imo.

So to the actual question. I think system should be off when opp's interfeering. X should be penalty no matter what they bid (due to looser bids from opps as described above)
Overcalling opp's bid should be kind of stayman (Atleast when opps bid a minor)
Partners bid also on 2 level should be "I want to play here" - if you have a hand that wants to play game on top of the 1nt opening you have to jump to 3 level.
Lebensohl is btw a must!

Well this post was written really fast from my work, so prolly some spelling errors. And if you you want more info I can deepen it later.

www.bridgetime.org

#9 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-25, 15:26

in blighty, X, 2D/H/S as described all need to be alerted. 2NT to play doesn't need to be alerted, nor does pass.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users