Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ACBL--which chart?

#1 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-03, 07:19

The structure is 1M-2C = Cs or inv+ M raise. Kitty & Steve Cooper recently wrote "It is illegal to combine 2C as a limit raise or better with possible real clubs and no support. That is because Barry Crane used to play that way." I think they meant only that it is not GCC: Isn't this structure midchart?

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-June-03, 07:26

View PostFlem72, on 2012-June-03, 07:19, said:

The structure is 1M-2C = Cs or inv+ M raise. Kitty & Steve Cooper recently wrote "It is illegal to combine 2C as a limit raise or better with possible real clubs and no support. That is because Barry Crane used to play that way." I think they meant only that it is not GCC: Isn't this structure midchart?

Midchart: 3. All other constructive rebids and responses are permitted [...]
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-04, 18:26

View PostFlem72, on 2012-June-03, 07:19, said:

That is because Barry Crane used to play that way.

So it's considered kind of like retiring a sportsperson's jersey number?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-05, 10:17

It's more like the Infield Fly Rule...

There are several of these in the ACBL GCC, the one that comes to mind being 1NT forcing response cannot *guarantee* INV+ values.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-June-05, 10:53

View Postmycroft, on 2012-June-05, 10:17, said:

It's more like the Infield Fly Rule...

There are several of these in the ACBL GCC, the one that comes to mind being 1NT forcing response cannot *guarantee* INV+ values.

I remember playing against a pair that used this treatment. Their 2/1 bids were nonforcing and denied as many as 10 HCP. They bid 1NT on all hands of 10+ HCP.

#6 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-05, 12:57

View PostVampyr, on 2012-June-04, 18:26, said:

So it's considered kind of like retiring a sportsperson's jersey number?

or maybe closer to something like widening the free-throw lane in basketball b/c Wilt Chamberlain dominated (uber-dominated?) the game when the original and smaller one was regulation.

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-June-05, 19:55

View PostFlem72, on 2012-June-05, 12:57, said:

or maybe closer to something like widening the free-throw lane in basketball b/c Wilt Chamberlain dominated (uber-dominated?) the game when the original and smaller one was regulation.

It's a little different in bridge, though, isn't it. There are no advantages to be gained by height or physical prowess; there are no innate barriers to anyone's success.

If a method is effective, most pairs will adopt it; the playing field is still level, but the game has improved. This is, after all, how all of the popular modern treatments and conventions, many of them played almost universally, came into being.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-June-05, 21:25

View PostVampyr, on 2012-June-05, 19:55, said:

It's a little different in bridge, though, isn't it. There are no advantages to be gained by height or physical prowess; there are no innate barriers to anyone's success.

If a method is effective, most pairs will adopt it; the playing field is still level, but the game has improved. This is, after all, how all of the popular modern treatments and conventions, many of them played almost universally, came into being.

I'm not saying this is occuring here (it's not), but it is possible for a game to become worse despite the playing field still being level through people adopting superior treatments/systems/whatever.

A real life example is the card game, magic in which you build decks and then pit them against other people in best of 3 matches. There is a big tournament scene. Banning of particular cards etc occurs regularly because this happens:

At the start of the lifecycle there are 5 options, A, B, C, D, E. Deck A 'beats' (goes 60:40 to 70:30 ish) against deck B which beats C which beats D, which beats E. E vs B may be a toss up. This is fine, but then someone comes up with F. F is ludicrously superior to all other options, so everyone plays F. Someone eventually comes up with Anti-F which beats F and loses to anything else.

Then you have a metagame of F, Anti-F and the weird holdouts who refuse to play 'popular' stuff (who get crushed by F and beat anti-F). Top 8 of all tournaments are made up of F or Anti-F and nothing else. When this has happened before you regularly play 8 round swiss matches all against F or maybe see anti-F once or twice.

This is sickeningly degenerate and bad for the game because everyone plays F or Anti-F. However, the playing field is still 'level' and it will be a test of execution skill when two Fs come up against each other, this is still super bad for the game.

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-June-05, 22:45

View PostCthulhu D, on 2012-June-05, 21:25, said:

I'm not saying this is occuring here (it's not), but it is possible for a game to become worse despite the playing field still being level through people adopting superior treatments/systems/whatever.

This was interesting, but as you say it is not happening here.

This 2 treatment, by the way, is not at all popular around here, where it is not prohibited.

#10 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-05, 23:15

I doubt this has occurred ever in bridge - only a system with a fert could achieve the sort of degenerate metagame being spoken of above - and none of those have ever achieved the sort of tournament results that can be posted by Combo winter decks, SF2: Turbo Akuma or Toxic tunnel rushes in C&C generals - decks, characters and strategies so powerful that they achieved total domination of the metagame, some within days of their discovery.

I was just pointing out it is hypothetically possible.

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-June-06, 03:06

View PostArtK78, on 2012-June-05, 10:53, said:

I remember playing against a pair that used this treatment. Their 2/1 bids were nonforcing and denied as many as 10 HCP. They bid 1NT on all hands of 10+ HCP.

That's (almost) precisely what I do over a 1 opening. Over a 1 opening I prefer to use 1 for that (with 1NT being weak with spades) and similarly for 1 over a 1 opening (with 1NT being weak with hearts). This method works best if your openings are limited.

The discussion reference to MtG's meta-game seems completely pointless for bridge. In bridge one can play F and anti-F at the same time since we are allowed to change our system (deck) when the opponents open the bidding. The issues in MtG were actually ones of game design - the card designers missed some ways some of the early cards could be used, in particular zero cost mana-producing artifacts. That led to a situation where if you were not playing a particular blue or black deck you had already lost. As it happened the players liked the ability to abuse cards so the card designers deliberately introduce them now but add enoug options to create a lively meta-game with more than 2 options. And if there are 10 possible decks then this is not so dissimilar from bridge systems (5 card majors, 4 card majors, strong club, mixed club, strong diamond, Fantunes) is it?

The bridge equivalent would be adding a 6th denomination (misere?) to the bidding or something like this that completely changes the nature of the game. No convention in the history of bridge has ever been so important as to become a must-play, even Wilcosz despite some claims about it, let alone become so game-changing as to make otherwise good systems obsolete.
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-June-06, 03:28

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-June-06, 03:06, said:

No convention in the history of bridge has ever been so important as to become a must-play,

Really? Can you do without 1/1 forcing?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-June-06, 03:32

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-June-06, 03:28, said:

Really? Can you do without 1/1 forcing?

See my post above about playing 1 - 1 as weak and natural. ;)
I take your point though and if you had said takeout doubles instead I would have had to agree with you.
(-: Zel :-)

#14 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-06, 06:28

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-June-06, 03:06, said:

The discussion reference to MtG's meta-game seems completely pointless for bridge. In bridge one can play F and anti-F at the same time since we are allowed to change our system (deck) when the opponents open the bidding.

A HUM with a fert could achieve this though (certainly it could achieve the levels of dominance) - the point though was to establish that despite a level playing field the game can be degenerate. Using Akuma or tunnel rushes are more relevant examples to bridge.

#15 User is offline   BCTR 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-June-07, 13:59

Where to write dont know sorry if its in wrong topic "ACBL directors are not good they are not sufficient"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users