• You cannot reply to this topic

Taliban Animals or, I veel keel you!!

#21 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-09, 13:28

View Postluke warm, on 2012-October-09, 13:13, said:

who said anything like that? certainly not me

Perhaps you didn't mean to say it, but perhaps you should look again at how these quotes come off.

they should be put down like the mad dogs they are

and than the article quoted directly after.

Sunday proved to be a very productive day for Muslims. Great strides were taken, and with explosive gusto, to convince the world that Islamists are a peaceful people, or at least would be if we infidels would only submit and stop forcing them to commit acts of mass-slaughter. I weep for their plight.

You are at best unclear who 'they' are and your quoted article makes it very clear that you have a strong bias against Muslims in addition to making readers believe that by 'they' you mean Muslim's in general.

#22 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-October-09, 13:59

View Postluke warm, on 2012-October-09, 13:13, said:

we were speaking of christians though, right?

It almost sounds like you think its wrong to slander an entire religion based on the the behavior of some extremists...
Alderaan delenda est

#23 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-October-09, 14:02

View Postdwar0123, on 2012-October-09, 13:28, said:

Perhaps you didn't mean to say it, but perhaps you should look again at how these quotes come off.

and than then article quoted directly after.

You are at best unclear who 'they' are and your quoted article makes it very clear that you have a strong bias against Muslims in addition to making readers believe that by 'they' you mean Muslim's in general.

Don't forget the mocking "or, I veel keel you!!" subtitle that he affixed...
Alderaan delenda est

#24 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2012-October-09, 14:14

i think the subtitle referred to the title (taliban animals)... and i see nothing i posted that references any group other than islamist extremists... just how fringe these are remains to be seen since they are either ruling several mideast countries or are on the verge of doing so
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#25 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-09, 14:20

Let me translate that for you.

View Postluke warm, on 2012-October-09, 14:14, said:

i see nothing i posted that references any group other than islamist extremists...

"I just meant the extremists!"

just how fringe these are remains to be seen since they are either ruling several mideast countries or are on the verge of doing so

"I meant them all(at least in these countries)!"

#26 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-09, 14:29

View Postluke warm, on 2012-October-09, 14:14, said:

i think the subtitle referred to the title (taliban animals)... and i see nothing i posted that references any group other than islamist extremists... just how fringe these are remains to be seen since they are either ruling several mideast countries or are on the verge of doing so

Lol "i see nothing i posted that references any group other than islamist extremists" then next sentence "just how fringe these are remains to be seen". So you justify your bias against muslims by calling at least a large percentage of them if not most "extremists" and saying you are only against extremists. Got it.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#27 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-October-09, 14:44

JImmy i dont really see much difference between the Taliban leaders and say Mao and Stalin.

I note they all seemed to love to both kill and have sex with 14 year old girls.

Sometimes they choose to do one over the other to the girl, sometimes they did both to the girl.

Frankly I think the Taliban leaders hve goals and methods that closer match Stalin and Mao than the few, very few killers of abortion docs. I dont think it was the best analogy.

OTOH I am not sure calling those that practice genocide on a grand scale, a savage, is the best word to pick.

To be fair I always thought one could be a savage but not want to kill on a massive scale.

savage (1) wild or untamed.

#28 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-October-09, 14:53

View Postluke warm, on 2012-October-09, 11:40, said:

muslim extremists are (or are trying to be) the ruling body in several contries... libya, egypt, syria (to be determined), pakistan, afganistan...

How much must the US military budget grow to moderate the opinions of those extremists? Will the additional $2 trillion be enough?
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#29 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-October-09, 15:39

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-October-09, 10:55, said:

Where I struggle with mainstream Islam is the inability to depict/satirise/criticise the prophet, that to me is the hallmark of a cult not a religion.

A religion, imo, is merely a cult that has gained a certain critical mass.

I like the concept of the meme: a meme as an idea or system of ideas that is capable of evolving and propagating, but in the human mind rather than the physical environment.

Religions struggle to infect as many hosts as possible. The rules internal to a religion therefore evolve to maximize the chances of success....but old, established religions are always going to be handicapped precisely because religion, at least ostensibly, relies upon revealed truths. Now, humans are remarkably adept at changing their view of the same facts while claiming to be true to ancient beliefs, but there can be little doubt but that a relatively young religion will likely, to be successful, have traits that make it more efficient in capturing and retaining believers.

A very common device employed by religions is to confer a state of certainty and privilege upon the believers....and a sense of community. That sense of community not only enhances and preserves, through constant immersion and repetition, the particular delusions/teachings of the religion but also makes non-believers become 'other', and we, as a species, tend to be suspicious and distrustful of the 'other'.

Making it a crime to draw an image of the prophet is a means of societal control. Just as is the rule that an apostate must be killed......which was certainly a common aspect of Christian thinking in earlier centuries.

Islam, having been invented far more recently than was Christianity, owes its success to precisely those traits that allow it to maximize the control it exerts upon believers.

By outlawing apostasy, it makes it virtually impossible for any believer to express doubt. By suppressing the expression of doubt, and by mandating a regular public display of submission in prayer, individual thought is kept controlled...critical thinking is in fact effectively extinguished. Much the same happens in bible camps or on the fundie campuses in the US, tho the Xian fundies won't (can't) see it that way.

By preventing the depiction of the prophet, and here I feel less secure in my opinion, it seems to me that Islam reduces the temptation to think about the prophet as a real human, and thus suscpetible to human failings. It also ensures that the 'image' of the prophet is conveyed, to the extent that it is, in words, controlled by the imans and other clergy.

In short, for a religion to be successful, it must develop or possess a means of limiting the ability of its followers to think independently or to even consider alternatives to the beliefs being promulgated by the clergy.

As for the original post, it is perhaps useful to bear in mind that illiterate people under the control of power-hungry zealots have always been capable of outrageous barbarism. The Salem Witch trials are examples from the historically-recent past. The literal extinction of entire communities as part of religious cleansing features in early and medieval Christanity.

In Afghanistan, islamists are having to deal with an abrupt and forceful imposition upon them of ideas foreign to their view of the world, including ideas of gender equality as alien to them as such ideas would have been alien to the early Puritan settlers in the New World. Women didn't go to school in the West until recently, in historical terms. There are people still alive today who were born at a time when women couldn't vote, and it wasn't that long ago that a married woman couldn't own real estate in her own name. The traditional christian marriage still has the father 'giving away' the bride, which has its origins in the understanding that women were, legally, chattels...and thus the actual property of the father until married, at which time she belonged to the husband.

Western powers are thus attacking core values by which these people have lived for centuries, and this is being imposed upon them rather than representing an internal evolutionary change. This directly threatens the power of the local religious leaders by calling into question the correctness of their way of life.

I am not, for one moment, defending the acts of the taliban or other religious extremists. I do, however, condemn those who say that such acts are unique to any particular set of delusional rules. Those who make such statements seem, at least to me, almost always to be members of any religious (and thus deluded) group, which group either still does or in relatively recent times did acts equivalent to those they now criticize.

Oh....did I hurt anyone's feelings by calling their religious beliefs delusional? If so, let me just suggest that such a person list all of the key elements of a major religion other than theirs; identify those they consider to be absurd or delusional, and then compare them to the tenets of their own belief. As long as they are capable of intellectual honesty (which religion does its very best to prevent, in the case of the religion in question) then maybe they'll get the joke.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#30 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-09, 16:30

Deleted a lot of stuff with which I agree strongly, well said.

View Postmikeh, on 2012-October-09, 15:39, said:

In short, for a religion to be successful, it must develop or possess a means of limiting the ability of its followers to think independently or to even consider alternatives to the beliefs being promulgated by the clergy.

I am not sure I would put it so strongly, some of the eastern religions, Buddhism as an example, don't strike me as following this trait.

#31 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-October-09, 17:48

View Postdwar0123, on 2012-October-09, 16:30, said:

Deleted a lot of stuff with which I agree strongly, well said.

I am not sure I would put it so strongly, some of the eastern religions, Buddhism as an example, don't strike me as following this trait.

Funny you should make that point, because I had originally written that I exempted Buddhism from my general criticism. However, there are those who would argue that Buddhism is given too easy a pass by Western critics of religion. And the limited knowledge I have about how Tibet used to function, as a theocracy, and how Bhutan operates (in theory they have religious freedom but non-Bhuddists are prohibited from seeking converts) as well as the practice of forming monasteries suggest that there are similarities between Bhuddism and more, shall we say, aggressive religions.

I also note that Buddhism enjoys far less success than either Christianity or Islam, and while I am sure that there are many reasons for this, its relative passivity and what we see as a sort of 'laid back' approach may be part of the explanation. It just isn't as successful a meme as the Big Two.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#32 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-09, 20:07

View Postmikeh, on 2012-October-09, 15:39, said:

A religion, imo, is merely a cult that has gained a certain critical mass.

Oh....did I hurt anyone's feelings by calling their religious beliefs delusional? If so, let me just suggest that such a person list all of the key elements of a major religion other than theirs; identify those they consider to be absurd or delusional, and then compare them to the tenets of their own belief. As long as they are capable of intellectual honesty (which religion does its very best to prevent, in the case of the religion in question) then maybe they'll get the joke.

I was going to make the same comment about critical mass. A religion is merely a cult that is old enough and has gained enough adherents to gain general acceptance as 'not strange'. Any other distinction is silly or misses the point.

As for your last point, I think this is perhaps a slightly more eloquent way of putting it:

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." ~ Stephen Roberts
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#33 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-10, 10:57

I'm reopening this thread, as it appears that the vitriol in some of the first few posts has cooled down a bit. However, this is a topic that can easily get out of hand, and we reserve the right to close it again if it gets heated and there are complaints. So please try to keep it civil.

#34 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-October-10, 11:18

View Postjonottawa, on 2012-October-09, 20:07, said:

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." ~ Stephen Roberts

Never seen that quote before, but I really like it
Alderaan delenda est

#35 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-October-10, 11:39

Considering that the government of Pakistan awarded Yousafzai a national peace prize in 2011 for her efforts, it's clear that many Muslims differ with the Taliban. I read that she considers Obama her hero.

In the US, we have problems with religious extremists too. The doctor shooters are rare, fortunately. But non-violent extremists who believe that science is wrong about evolution use our political system to dumb down the schools.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#36 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-10, 12:03

View Postbarmar, on 2012-October-10, 10:57, said:

I'm reopening this thread, as it appears that the vitriol in some of the first few posts has cooled down a bit. However, this is a topic that can easily get out of hand, and we reserve the right to close it again if it gets heated and there are complaints. So please try to keep it civil.

You seem to be implying that you're moderating the thread because people are getting emotional and then being rude. I think you're completely missing the point.

The ideas expressed by some in here are offensive and reprehensible (far worse than anything I've ever posted here.) They clearly reflect a 'kill them all and let god sort them out' or 'muslims aren't quite human' mindset. (If you still don't quite get it, perhaps this will help: Do you think a thread entitled 'Zionist animals' and linking websites like this or this (if we're talking about killing young girls) would/should receive comparable treatment? If not, why not?)

If that's a worldview you don't want to see on these forums, that's perfectly understandable, but to imply that those of us who don't share this view are being rude (or emotional) about it is simply not accurate.

(And for the record, I don't think the thread should be censored/hidden, because I favor freedom of expression, but reasonable people can disagree about that.)
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#37 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-10, 13:29

View Postjonottawa, on 2012-October-10, 12:03, said:

If that's an opinion you don't want to see on these forums, that's perfectly understandable, but to imply that those of us who don't share this view are being rude (or emotional) about it is simply not accurate.

I'm not trying to censor opinions, that's why I reopened the thread. I just want it to be kept relatively calm. I know it can't be expected to be all sweetness, but I'm hoping to a racist or ethnicist flame war.

Religious arguments practically never shed any light -- that's practically the definition of a religious argument. So I don't really have much hope for anything beneficial coming from this thread. But I didn't want to stifle discussion.

I don't expect to be reading the thread myself much longer -- threads like this generally devolve into repetitions of the same arguments we've seen before, and I don't find them interesting. So I'll probably only notice if it devolves if someone reports it.

#38 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-11, 07:39

View Postluke warm, on 2012-October-09, 10:27, said:

why do you call it "islamophobia?" people should be afraid of those pieces of crap animals... they have no regard for any view but their own, to the point of sawing off heads and murdering anyone who disagrees with them... they should be put down like the mad dogs they are

I would nominate this as the most entertaining post of the year... if I wouldn't have the sad feeling that Luke is serious.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#39 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-October-11, 08:10

Freedom is always the freedom of dissenters to be heard. (Rosa Luxemburg)

Obviously extremists do not like freedom, they want to live in their own mindset- and they want anybody else to share their view. As understandable as this is- it is simply wrong.

I am very happy to live in western Europe, where this freedom is quite often reached as good as possible.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#40 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2012-October-12, 09:08

:P
"We had no intentions to kill her but were forced when she would not stop (speaking against us),"
said Sirajuddin Ahmad, a spokesman of Swat Taliban now based in Afghanistan's Kunar province.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users