BBO Discussion Forums: Android App - Single Dummy Solver - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Android App - Single Dummy Solver Demo version

#1 User is offline   catch22 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-13, 07:51

I've published an Android app, Suit Player Six, which solves single dummy problems. This version only allows 6 cards total for North South as I was hoping, maybe foolishly, I could get some reward for the time I have invested in this, through a paid app with no restrictions.

App is available through Google Play http://tinyurl.com/9z4xh6v

Any feedback would be most welcome. In particular:
Is this an App bridge players would use?
What additional features, if any, would people like to see?
Would people only use it if it was free or supported through ads?

#2 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2012-October-13, 14:43

I get an error

The application SuitPlayer (process com.josulasa.android.suitplayer) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

this happens every time i hit analyse and i am forced to close.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#3 User is offline   catch22 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-13, 15:14

View PostCascade, on 2012-October-13, 14:43, said:

I get an error

The application SuitPlayer (process com.josulasa.android.suitplayer) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Sorry you are having problems - I've tested on friends Android phones, but the coverage is by no means comprehensive. Could you e-mail me with details of the cards you are trying to enter, the version of Android you are using and the model of your phone.

It runs successfully on my 2 year old HTC Desire HD, but that allows 32MB of heap per application, which may well be important. So, it is possible if you have an older phone that there is not enough memory allocated per application. The biggest issue I have faced is trying to get the memory usage down, particularly on hands that have lots of combinations. e.g. K432 - J975 was the worst I have seen generating 80,000 nodes. But if it is a memory issue I would expect it to work with simple hands. For example, AK32 - QJ generates 0 nodes, so I would expect that always to work.

Thanks,

John

#4 User is offline   catch22 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-13, 16:11

View PostCascade, on 2012-October-13, 14:43, said:

I get an error

I checked the error that was reported and it appears to be an issue with Android versions prior to 2.3. Although the publisher was happy to target 2.2 :(. I've put in a fix to remove the code that relied on 2.3, but I can't test it on a device, I can only test on the emulator, but it does work there.

I've uploaded a new version, but it normally takes a couple of hours before it appears I the store. Version will be 1.0.2 for Suit Player Six and 1.0.6 for Suit Player.

Thanks for trying the app and would be interested to know if this fixes the problem.

John

#5 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2012-October-13, 17:43

View Postcatch22, on 2012-October-13, 16:11, said:

I checked the error that was reported and it appears to be an issue with Android versions prior to 2.3. Although the publisher was happy to target 2.2 :(. I've put in a fix to remove the code that relied on 2.3, but I can't test it on a device, I can only test on the emulator, but it does work there.

I've uploaded a new version, but it normally takes a couple of hours before it appears I the store. Version will be 1.0.2 for Suit Player Six and 1.0.6 for Suit Player.

Thanks for trying the app and would be interested to know if this fixes the problem.

John

Thanks it is working now

but it did fail on K432 - J975

I will play more later.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#6 User is offline   catch22 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-13, 18:14

View PostCascade, on 2012-October-13, 17:43, said:

Thanks it is working now

but it did fail on K432 - J975

I will play more later.

Thanks for the update, it is possible to squeeze the memory further.

Could you try checking KT854 - J32 and KQT84 - 32, as that will indicate how much memory I am playing with.

Thanks,

John

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users