BBO Discussion Forums: 2h or 1nt or other? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2h or 1nt or other?

Poll: your rebid? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

your rebid?

1. 1nt (7 votes [63.64%])

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

2. 2h (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-21, 22:18

MP Unfav vul.

1d=1h
?

T9....KT7...KQ753....A32

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-22, 00:55

If you ever raise with bal and 3 trumps 2H is obvious. If you systemically or stylistically choose not to that is understandable/fine and I wouldn't.

Personally I prefer to play a system where I can bid 2H with this so I'd do so.

#3 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-February-22, 01:03

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-February-22, 00:55, said:

If you ever raise with bal and 3 trumps 2H is obvious. If you systemically or stylistically choose not to that is understandable/fine and I wouldn't.

Personally I prefer to play a system where I can bid 2H with this so I'd do so.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I hope you will respond on the issue you raise and why you choose to play a style that bids 2h rather than bids 1nt.

I posted this problem, derived from a BW deal, from Jeff Meckstroth's comments that he hates 2h here. Not for the first time he states, with a bal minimum hand, one must rebid 1nt.

I post this with the hope to encourge comments and discussion.

#4 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-22, 01:34

While I'd obviously defer to both JLogic and Meck about bridge here, I think the advantages of (1nt with balanced hands, raises means unbalanced) are worth while and fairly obvious. Partner can better evaluate hands knowing that they are unbalanced and can compete better for part scores/competition with knowledge of frequent 4 card support for raise, and unbalanced otherwise. I also feel weak nt hands belong in 1nt, although you are at a disadvantage compared to 1nt all float due to information leakage. Obviously on some part score hands, particularly where responder is minimum but with 5 hearts, you can win by 2H being a better part score than 1nt. On hands that have inv+ or better and face no competition, both auctions are pretty good IMO to develop, so I think it matters much less, as 1m-1M-2M can have good agreements and systems and developments, as can 1X-1Y-1nt auctions (even though lower and slower is generally more flexible).

Countering that, as JLogic noted, this hand does look quite suitish for hearts with the T of hearts pulling extra weight, the Axx side suit, and KQ-fifth of our suit, and "smallish" no-wasted-hcp-doubleton in the T9 of spades ruffing value. If you make one of the minor spots into a heart pretty much everyone would raise, and that isn't that incredibly different from this hand in terms of your trick taking values.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2013-February-22, 01:50

2h may help rightsiding 3nt. But obviously your game and slam bidding become more accurate if 2he denies this hand. It would also be nice if 1nt denied this hand but we have plenty of space after a.1nt rebid
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2013-February-22, 02:12

Yeah Meck hates raising with balanced 3 card raises. I believe that we rightside NT and play the correct partial more often by bidding 2H, so I prefer it, but it does make partners job more difficult.

Whatever, not a huge deal either way, just know what you play with your partner.

#7 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2013-February-22, 02:20

I will say Meck>>>>>>>Jlall at bridge so going with him seems fine :P I will say Meckwell are probably a minority amongst top US players in this though, I think most would choose 2H rather than 1N. In many european countries (Poland, France...) they'd be a majority AFAIK though.

My general view on situations where neither strategy becomes dominant at the top is that it doesn't matter. Natural or strong club? Doesn't matter, go with your preference. Wk NT vs strong NT? Same thing. I prefer bidding 2H but I really don't think it matters.

Also FWIW meckwell will not rebid 1N with a stiff, and won't raise with 3, so if you watch them you will notice them almost routinely correcting 1N to 2M with a 5 card suit. I like to bid 1N with a stiff sometimes, so maybe that makes raising with 3 better since partner won't bid 2M with 5 as often. I think it is reasonable that if you rebid 1N fairly often with a stiff, you should raise with 3 more often, and if you never do maybe you should never raise with 3. I am not sure about that though.

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-February-22, 02:58

Since I know my partner will bid 2M with 5 cards I do rebid 1NT with 3 card support and a side singleton.
I once rebid 1NT with a stiff in partner's suit, I had something like...

K
AQ10x
Kxx
Jxxxx

My father yelled to me for 5 minutes while he was strugging in 2 with J9xxx: We play bridge!, not gamble bridge! (hard to translate), only after the sesssion he recognised I had a real rebid problem.

It took me years on BBF to realice that raising on 3 cards was a playable method, since I learned the total way around, and in my area only weak players do it . But I can't think of playing it that way without a convention that asks fo trump lenght.

For what its worth on my strong club partnership I have acepted that 1-1-2 and 1-1-2 might be done with 3 cards. But only with spades, 1-1-2 makes less sense since hearts are 4 cards more often than spades.

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-22, 04:56

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-February-22, 02:20, said:

I will say Meck>>>>>>>Jlall at bridge so going with him seems fine :P I will say Meckwell are probably a minority amongst top US players in this though, I think most would choose 2H rather than 1N. In many european countries (Poland, France...) they'd be a majority AFAIK though.

The same in Germany by the way. As I understand the local system:
NEVER raise with 3 card support
NEVER rebid 1NT with a singleton (nor with 4 spades)

For me, I think raising with 3 card support and an unbalanced hand suitable for suit play is a no-brainer. I can understand having a rule never to raise with 3 card support in a balanced hand though. If you play an unbalanced diamond then some of the problems just go away.
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-22, 08:37

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-February-22, 04:56, said:

The same in Germany by the way. As I understand the local system:
NEVER raise with 3 card support
NEVER rebid 1NT with a singleton (nor with 4 spades)

I suppose this means they will commonly rebid a 5-card minor, even a bad one (such as Fluffy's hand)? Worth knowing when meeting a German flag on BBO.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-22, 09:34

View Postbillw55, on 2013-February-22, 08:37, said:

I suppose this means they will commonly rebid a 5-card minor, even a bad one (such as Fluffy's hand)? Worth knowing when meeting a German flag on BBO.

Fluffy's hand would be a 1NT rebid since it does not contain a singleton. The things that you need to know are that they are willing to rebid a 3 card suit with the BW Death Hand, rather than make an offshape 2NT rebid, and that a 1 rebid can be a balanced hand while a 1NT rebid denies 4 spades. Also, that a 1NT opening will not normally contain a 5 card major. But the most confusing thing of all is that "Standard American" means all of these things with a 1 opening promising 4+ diamonds (and 1 2+ clubs).
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2013-February-24, 01:06

I like the way Bobby Levin and Steve Weinstein think about this question: 1m-1M: Now what?
Holding the 109 I'll rebid 1N too.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#13 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-February-24, 01:35

Thank you Steve for taking the time to respond and post link....thank you.

I also passed this around on email.

All of the responses are great.

One stated Meckwell system was geared toward bidding light 9(NINE) card fit major suit games as well as light nt games.

I found this a very interesting comment, I hope others do as well.

If nothing else I hope the Master Players will continue to post play problems so we may improve our play.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users