• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A new way to present problems

#21 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2013-May-09, 20:43

I sat there clicking on 2S in irritation, because I thought that was our first decision. Also generally found it an eyebleedingly awful interface: screen cluttered and with an advertisement on it, played cards hiding part of dummy, spade pips not showing, the text in a tiny little box that refused to scroll to show me the second half of it, "WesNortEastSout" bidding box labels...

I gather the problem is that you assume we will all have a maximized browser window at a high resolution. I seriously question the wisdom of a site being unusable in an 800x600 area.

#22 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-May-09, 20:57

Great idea, Fluffy :) And well done Frances and Phil for finding solutions to the problem :) It's too hard for me :(
  • When RHO wins A and returns a , declarer can win cheaply, draw trumps and lead a to dummy's honour. If it wins, declarer can discard his losing on a winner and claim.
  • But if defenders cash a before returning a , then declarer will strongly suspect RHO holds A, even if RHO later ducks dummy's honour.
  • If defenders have cashed a earlier, it may be better to start with a top diamond from hand.
What am I missing?

#23 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-May-09, 21:23

You must be doing something seriously wrong on the web technical side. Your links do not work in Safari or Chrome on a Mac at 2315 USEDT.

Safari show the server is not responding. It is too late for me to debug this.

Are you running on a real server with legit DNS addressing, or your own PC with an IP address that is dynamically assigned?

#24 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-10, 00:54

View PostFM75, on 2013-May-09, 21:23, said:

You must be doing something seriously wrong on the web technical side. Your links do not work in Safari or Chrome on a Mac at 2315 USEDT.

Safari show the server is not responding. It is too late for me to debug this.

Are you running on a real server with legit DNS addressing, or your own PC with an IP address that is dynamically assigned?

Thanks for the info, if you mean the links on links section of the page, they are very simple <a href> ones, hard to imagine what would go wrong there :/

#25 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-May-10, 00:59

View PostSiegmund, on 2013-May-09, 20:43, said:

I sat there clicking on 2S in irritation, because I thought that was our first decision. Also generally found it an eyebleedingly awful interface: screen cluttered and with an advertisement on it, played cards hiding part of dummy, spade pips not showing, the text in a tiny little box that refused to scroll to show me the second half of it, "WesNortEastSout" bidding box labels...

I gather the problem is that you assume we will all have a maximized browser window at a high resolution. I seriously question the wisdom of a site being unusable in an 800x600 area.

I have been working on better display for the last week, you better not know how this things looked like a week ago on smaller resolutions :P. But even tho, I know there is still a lot of wok to do there, my wife tells me the eyebleeding thing all the time, and I am looking forward to fix it. I am open for suggestions regarding background color.

#26 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-May-10, 03:02

View PostSteveMoe, on 2013-May-09, 15:18, said:

Worked on chrome just now, but wouldn't let me switch to a low Diamond after winning partner's club opening lead. Should beat 4 hearts.
Slick interface. Liked it a lot...

I never though of low diamond as an option, I think you got it wrong, you will quickly end up with -990 if you were allowed too.

Some options are simply not considered, I Cannot consider all, its a many part question problem, you flow down a tree untill you reach an ending pretty much like choose your own adventure books. But not every option is accounted for (except for declarer side when you enter auto-mode, but that is another story).

Here is the tree of the play of this hand (notice the old logo lol):

Posted Image

My first intention was that any user could create a problem hand and share with friends embeding on blogs or forums (when I fix the low resolution issues), but as I advanced on the developement of the problem creation page I realiced how hard it would be to learn how to use it. Still it will be possible to learn in the future if you want to create problems and share with your friends, but it takes time.

On the other hand some hands are extremelly easy, for example this hand:

Hand 3 on practice

has 3 or 4 variations on bidding, but on card play, after the lead it simply goes to autodefence since there are no decisions to be taken, allowing the user full freedom to go down the way he wills :P

#27 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-10, 03:39

View PostFluffy, on 2013-May-10, 03:02, said:

My first intention was that any user could create a problem hand and share with friends embeding on blogs or forums (when I fix the low resolution issues), but as I advanced on the developement of the problem creation page I realiced how hard it would be to learn how to use it. Still it will be possible to learn in the future if you want to create problems and share with your friends, but it takes time.

Yes, yes, yes!

#28 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-May-10, 04:33

Worked on Chrome.

#29 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-May-10, 05:32

View Postnige1, on 2013-May-09, 20:57, said:

Great idea, Fluffy :) And well done Frances and Phil or finding solutions to the problem :) It's too hard for me :(
  • When RHO wins A and returns a , declarer can win cheaply, draw trumps and lead a to dummy's honour. If it wins, declarer can discard his losing on a winner and claim.
  • But if defenders cash a before returning a , then declarer will strongly suspect RHO holds A, even if RHO later ducks dummy's honour.
  • If defenders have cashed a earlier, it may be better to start with a top diamond from hand.
What am I missing?

you miss that declarer is dumb and insults your partner even further during the play:

http://www.bridgegod...rt.php?artid=40

#30 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-May-10, 12:14

Just wondering here. It looks like you want to generate something very similar to BridgeMaster, except with bidding included and fixed hands for opps. Isn't there a framework already available which you could use for this purpose?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#31 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-May-10, 12:41

yeah, its called bridgegod.com lol. Seriously no, not that I know off.

#32 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-May-10, 14:10

Nice! Working now.

#33 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-10, 15:10

Auction threw me, was playing partner for more points and less spades, my partner would have overcalled 2 rather than 1 with that hand.

#34 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-10, 15:29

Thanks Fluffy - very nice.
The page would not load in IE9 (I sort of got the impression that version 9+ was supposed to work). error message "Document ready: [object Error]"

Anyway, it seemed to work in Chrome. Eventually worked out how to beat the contract.

But I thought I would mention: At first I ducked trick 1 (my partner would not be leading J from Jxx). Declarer won and cashed 3 rounds of trumps, but the system said that there was no valid card that I could play on the third round of H.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#35 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-May-10, 15:50

looks like you managed to duck the club with the card you were suposed to pitch on the third round of hearts, this was suposed to not be possible, will look into it, thank you.

#36 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-11, 07:09

something went awry at my table - i raised to 2 directly and partner never bid again.

#37 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-May-11, 07:19

did LHO double or bid 3 over 2?, I though I had solved the timeout issue :(

#38 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-11, 07:25

View PostFluffy, on 2013-May-11, 07:19, said:

did LHO double or bid 3 over 2?, I though I had solved the timeout issue :(

i mean p then passed throughout which seemed a little odd opposite a raise

#39 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-May-11, 07:52

ahhh, that's fine, your partner passed 2 doubled because 2 doubled is game (look at the description at the start) , and 4 because it is too high....

or perhaps its because that was the most plausible way I found for 4 to be the final contract after this start, so you don't miss the diamond position ending :P

Another option is to disallow 2 but show a text message saying that the system partner imposed to you doesn't allow 3 card raises

#40 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-May-11, 11:57

I updated the page to keep scores of the hands played, regardless of if you are logged in or not.

Don't be ashamed and log in, if you score below 50% of the scores you will be shown as anonymous.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users