• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this 4N Blackwood ? Blackwood 4N and quantitive 4N

#21 User is offline   ShirleyMqz 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-June-11, 09:48

4NT in that bidding sequence is Blackwood if you're playing it. But South should not have used Blackwood with that hand. Your partnership has no established fit (Blackwood implies that you do have a fit in spades but that certainly isn't true here) so you have no idea what the best spot is.

4NT is also a terrible bid if partner meant it to show minors (which would be a nonstandard agreement) for a number of reasons. His clubs and diamonds are far from equal and a heart contract is also possible (and on the actual hand your partnership's best fit). And there is no reason to use a bulky bid like 4NT to show the minor suit hand in any case.

I don't know anybody who plays 4NT as a quantitative notrump invite over a suit opening. Most partnerships do play that it would be an invite to 6NT over a 1NT opening (and 5NT would be an invite to bid 7NT with a maximum but 6NT otherwise) but that isn't what opener bid.

#22 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-June-11, 09:50

1-4N is usually the wrong bid no matter what it means. sure you can construct some freak hand where u really need to know if partner has exactly A.

but you have 15 other possible bids (and thousands of possible sequences) 99.9% of the time (or higher) surely one of these are better!
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#23 User is offline   ShirleyMqz 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-June-11, 09:55

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2014-June-10, 07:18, said:

Is this really a 1 opener ?

It doesn't meet the traditional HCP requirements. It does meet the requirements for a 2S opening but the five card heart suit makes that a poor choice; it will be difficult to find a heart fit if that is your best contract.

But "6-5, come alive". Hands with this much distribution tend to play well (not quite so much this time because partner's hand doesn't fit well but you don't know that going in) so it tends to be winning bridge to open them, especially when your suits are the majors. So I would open this, especially if I'm playing 2/1 because I don't have to worry so much about partner making big jumps in the auction.

#24 User is offline   mojila 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-June-11, 19:04

with antrax ... no Opener was North, North did respond as Reg blackwood reluctantly. (at the end indicated she took as !ss suite )
Asking question here was reason thaat some player said we play Like that.
mojila

#25 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-11, 21:10

Conveniently, Blackwood and Minors have the same response.

#26 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-11, 21:40

View Postwank, on 2014-June-11, 03:32, said:

opening the north hand is perfectly normal. south needs to learn how to bid, for example by bidding his suits and looking for a fit.

I strongly disagree that the North hand is a perfectly normal anything. But, that is just semantics, since I know I would open it 1. The comments about South are right on.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users