Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is GIB really that bad?

#1 User is offline   tx10s 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-22, 11:26

Last time I had a robot make a Michaels bid, a response from me of either 3H or 4H were both described as 9-12 points and 3+ hearts. There was no bid for 4H, a spade void and 16 points. Obviously, I should have bid 4H anyway, but why the ridiculous bid description?

Another time, after robot made an inverted minor bid, the bids of 3, 4 or 5 of that suit all had identical bid descriptions.

There are other numerous instances where GIB gives no correct bid, a lot more common then happens in real bridge.

So my question, is GIB really that bad, or do the programmers use it as an excuse to maximize the "no correct bid" situation?

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-23, 12:18

Sadly, the descriptions in many cases (I would not say GIB overall) are that bad. See the current post "Missed the Memo" for more on the subject.

I rarely tout new conventions for GIB, but this post suggests one. Since 1m-2m-4m currently is essentially undefined, why not make it RKCB? Keep it simple, use in that specific auction only and see how it goes. And while you're at it, or even if you don't consider this, please make the much needed change that after 1m-2m-2 of a higher suit, 2NT shows the unbid major(s) stopped but is non-forcing. It's nonsense the way GIB does it now, with responder rebidding 3 of the minor on 3334 11 counts.

#3 User is offline   tx10s 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-23, 13:57

Another example (I have not figured out how to copy hand pictures to this forum):
RHO opens 1H. With 18 HCP, I double, LHO passes and "partner" bids 3C, showing 9-12 points. I bid 3NT, which I find out is described as 22-25 HCP?!? In whose universe but that of the BBO programmer fairies? Let's count the ways this is wrong:
1: Opp has opened and robot has 9HCP. Unless we are playing with a Pinochle deck, that is impossible
2: Since "partner" had promised 9 points, why does player need 22-25 HCP to bid 3NT, which is not even a jump bid?
3: If player actually had 22-25 HCP, they would be investigating slam, not bidding 3NT, which is a shut-out in the real bridge world, although not in BBO robot's imitation bridge world.

I keep hearing the excuse that computers cannot think. What that is really saying is that the program is flawed. At least BBO could admit that instead of using the "computers cannot think" excuse.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-23, 14:07

View Posttx10s, on 2015-June-23, 13:57, said:

Another example (I have not figured out how to copy hand pictures to this forum):

OK I found this one:

To be frank I would have overcalled 1NT. It is not the systemic bid, but just based on experience of what works. Not the point, of course, I accept that.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-23, 14:47

View Posttx10s, on 2015-June-23, 13:57, said:

RHO opens 1H. With 18 HCP, I double, LHO passes and "partner" bids 3C, showing 9-12 points. I bid 3NT, which I find out is described as 22-25 HCP?!? In whose universe but that of the BBO programmer fairies? Let's count the ways this is wrong:
1: Opp has opened and robot has 9HCP. Unless we are playing with a Pinochle deck, that is impossible
2: Since "partner" had promised 9 points, why does player need 22-25 HCP to bid 3NT, which is not even a jump bid?
3: If player actually had 22-25 HCP, they would be investigating slam, not bidding 3NT, which is a shut-out in the real bridge world, although not in BBO robot's imitation bridge world.

I keep hearing the excuse that computers cannot think. What that is really saying is that the program is flawed. At least BBO could admit that instead of using the "computers cannot think" excuse.

A completely valid point. This is one I believe that BBO can fix, and hopefully they will do so. And if you read other posts here, of course BBO realizes that GIB is flawed. Those of us who are regulars here simply wish that BBO management would invest more resources into improving it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users