• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

connection constantly lost

#1 User is offline   broglet 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-May-08, 22:27

every few minutes I lose connection with bbo ... nothing seems to be wrong at my end ... anyone else having this problem?

#2 User is offline   Steveir 

• Pip

Posted 2021-May-10, 10:57

View Postbroglet, on 2021-May-08, 22:27, said:

every few minutes I lose connection with bbo ... nothing seems to be wrong at my end ... anyone else having this problem?

All the time, and I have 150mp/s connection.

#3 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2021-May-10, 15:22

View Postbroglet, on 2021-May-08, 22:27, said:

Repeatedly.

Almost every time I use BBO to practice I lose connection. Often multiple times.

When I have loaded hands and robots to a practice table it is very annoying as we have to re-setup after each disconnect. Moreover with predealt hands there is no way to easily go to a particular hand that you want. So I have to redeal multiple times to get back to where we were. In addition the redeal option, which is an essential feature of a practice bidding or teaching table is hidden behind a menu so it takes multiple unnecessary clicks to get back to where I was before the disconnect.

It is all very annoying.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-May-12, 14:23

Connection loss has little to do with how you're using BBO. It's due to network problems between your computer and the BBO servers. The application periodically sends a message to the server so it knows you're still there; if it doesn't get these messages in a timely fashion, it disconnects you.

If there were a problem at our end, we would be seeing hundreds or thousands of users disconnected. Since we're not, the problem must be with your ISP or your Internet connection. Unfortunately, we don't have visibility into ISP networks so we can't diagnose these problems.

Since BBO is sending updates almost continually to the browser, it's much more sensitive to network problems than ordinary web pages.

#5 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2021-May-12, 15:34

View Postbarmar, on 2021-May-12, 14:23, said:

Since BBO is sending updates almost continually to the browser, it's much more sensitive to network problems than ordinary web pages.

Perhaps the threshold is too low. I know it is very annoying in a 1.5 hour practice session to be disconnected from BBO multiple times. It often happens when I go and do something else like check something on a webpage or document (that is stored online). I don't notice that I have a problem with the web on those other pages but I come back and find I have been logged out of BBO.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2021-May-14, 13:47

The threshold is something like 15 or 30 seconds. We've been using this since the days of dialup.

#7 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2021-May-15, 05:29

View Postbarmar, on 2021-May-14, 13:47, said:

The threshold is something like 15 or 30 seconds. We've been using this since the days of dialup.

Okay.

Another possibility, I do not know whether this is a realistic explanation, is that for some reason when I go to another tab BBO forgets that I am still there. The typical scenario that I have is that my partner and I are at a partnership bidding table. We are also using something, usually facebook messenger, to talk. We discuss something that prompts me to look at something on another tab for example I have some of our system notes in google docs. When I am away looking at my notes or whatever I get logged out of BBO. I typically do not notice any lack of functionality on the other tab that I am using - documents or whatever load quickly.

All I know is that I get logged out of BBO without noticing any problems on other webpages and it is quite annoying.
Wayne Burrows

#8 User is offline   peterb001 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-May-15, 15:40

In my experience, this happens when using BBO on Safari on my iPad, and navigating away from the BBO screen. However I don't have this issue when using Chrome on Windows 10. So it could be OS / browser specific.

#9 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2021-May-15, 17:23

View Postpeterb001, on 2021-May-15, 15:40, said:

In my experience, this happens when using BBO on Safari on my iPad, and navigating away from the BBO screen. However I don't have this issue when using Chrome on Windows 10. So it could be OS / browser specific.

I am having the issue with Chrome on Windows 10.
Wayne Burrows

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-May-16, 01:52

A year ago I reported and was able to systematically reproduce an issue when the Android app invoked Chrome to show history and the player reading it was not included in a tournament for which he was registered. Not sure if this could be related or if it has since been fixed.

#11 User is offline   pilartarra 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-May-18, 06:42

hi, since last week we are having this issue all the time, BBO disconnects and reconnects every few minutes. We are seeing a lot of people with the same issue. Actually, I came to the forum to check if it was just an issue in my country but I see now that it happens in other places as well. I think it is a BBO issue. It started when they put back the pictures to the profiles

#12 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2021-May-24, 04:47

Twice tonight I lost connection. Both times I was on an internet call to my bridge partner for our practice session. There was no disruption to the call but BBO booted me.

It really is hard to imagine that BBO did not get a response for the order of 30s from its own webpage that I was logged into when my internet connection was good enough for me to not notice any disconnection problems on a voice call.

There must be something else going on that is causing this problem.
Wayne Burrows

#13 User is offline   5DiamondsB 

• Pip

Posted 2021-August-15, 14:23

My friends and I LOVE BridgeBase, but we have a friend in another country who is able to maintain live video communication with us (Zoom, FaceTime, etc.) without problems so clearly has a consistent connection, but she gets kicked out of BridgeBase constantly. We have to put her back in her seat sometimes as often as ten times PER HAND, which makes playing difficult. While we are huge fans of BridgeBase it seems, based on others' comments and BridgeBase feedback, that there's no solution for this. I know nothing will be as great as BridgeBase but does anyone know of an alternative bridge app that we could use temporarily, just while while our friend is abroad (for another couple of months) when we are playing with her?

#14 User is offline   Peter No 

• Pip

Posted 2021-August-29, 19:31

I have been using BBO for more than a year now. I have played with a number of different people. Many of us experience kick outs and logoffs - getting kicked out from an active game, in too short of a time, less than 1 minute. Getting logged out while waiting a minute for others to join a table set up. This experience is common to so many players logged in on different home networks - so I have a hard time accepting that each one's internet is the culprit. Most of the time we also have a Google meet going in parallel to maintain voice connectivity and I also use it to guide players who are learning Bridge. I do not see dropouts in the Google meeting so I believe the connection quality and speed are more than sufficient for running a meeting and playing Bridge. While I am not knowledgeable about the technology used by BBO, let me offer up a few suggestions from a user perspective...

1. Make your timeouts longer - or let the user set these in their preferences. I would rather get an automatic reconnect (like I see in WhatsApp calls) if the dropout is less than 1 minute. It takes about that much time to re-login and reseat a lost player.
2. Give us some clear information about what constitutes a connection problem. Can you make your website tolerant to minor connection problems?
3. Keep track of what is happening to users who are logged out or kicked out of their spot on a table. If you have statistics kept you may see that it is very common that the table host is adding the same user back at the same spot, while warding of others who seem to barge in.
4. I'd also like to access documentation about the options when logging in Invisible - to whom? Can I choose who can see me?
5. Documentation about the options when setting up a table. If I understood these better I could choose settings that will streamline play at my table.
6. Suggested browser for Windows 10.

#15 User is offline   princessvl 

• Pip

Posted 2022-February-24, 16:00

Desperate for help, please.

I was playing in an 18 board, private club match tonight with 40 other players. I was kicked off at least 30 times, 2 or 3 times on almost every board. This disconnection problem has been happening for a while and getting steadily worse. Tonight was an absolute nightmare! I may never play on BBO every again.

It was soul destroying. I lost concentration. Didn’t know what cards had been played. Could not see partners signals etc.

I use chrome on a 3 year old apple iPad Pro.

Suggestions?

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2022-February-25, 14:30

View Postprincessvl, on 2022-February-24, 16:00, said:

Desperate for help, please.

I was playing in an 18 board, private club match tonight with 40 other players. I was kicked off at least 30 times, 2 or 3 times on almost every board. This disconnection problem has been happening for a while and getting steadily worse. Tonight was an absolute nightmare! I may never play on BBO every again.

It was soul destroying. I lost concentration. Didn’t know what cards had been played. Could not see partners signals etc.

I use chrome on a 3 year old apple iPad Pro.

Suggestions?

This is almost certainly a problem with your Internet connection or ISP, not something we can solve.

How many bars do you usually see in the connection meter at the top right of the BBO window?

#17 User is offline   princessvl 

• Pip

Posted 2022-March-01, 05:24

View Postbarmar, on 2022-February-25, 14:30, said:

This is almost certainly a problem with your Internet connection or ISP, not something we can solve.

How many bars do you usually see in the connection meter at the top right of the BBO window?

What connection meter? I don’t see a meter in the top right of my BBO screen. I see ads along the top of the BBO window.

#18 User is offline   Aceotto 

• Pip

Posted 2022-March-03, 11:56

I have found that closing all apps and shutting down my I pad before logging on to bio helps note checking tv listings seems to be the worst app that causes drop outs

#19 User is offline   princessvl 

• Pip

Posted 2022-March-03, 18:00

Thank you for your replies.

I had my broadband package upgraded 2 days ago, for free by Talktalk. This involved an engineer labouring for 4 hours to install a new router, modem plus internal and external wiring. My system must have been dying on its feet for them to do all this for free and at no additional monthly fee. I have to admit that I did complain very loudly!

I played on BBO tonight, for the first time since the upgrade, without a single connectivity problem. I wasn’t kicked out of the 2 hour session once! It was a pleasure to play in the tournament. My new broadband speeds are approximately 150mb upload and 35mb download as opposed to 35ish and 9ish respectively. I also closed all other applications before playing.

All I can say is …. look to your provider for help. That is what I’m taking from this experience.I only wish that I had done this sooner

#20 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-March-16, 21:32

I am posting in this thread although my issue may not relate to connection issues (at least that's my guess).

I almost exclusively used to play using my Chromebook where I have this issue below. I have also played on mobile where I do not experience the same problem.

When I am playing a robot tournament (e.g. daylong, Zenith daily), BBO freezes mid play and the only option I have is to logout and re-login.
* I then reenter that daylong tournament and find that the last played card has not been registered by BBO.
* So I play it again and it continues from then on. Until the next freeze --- which can occur within 5-10 minutes.
* I think (not 100% certain) this glitch does not occur during bidding, only during the play phase.

View Postbarmar, on 2021-May-14, 13:47, said:

* For sake of clarity, this is not about network timeout or connectivity issue at my end.
* I have a very stable WiFi network, I often have other devices connected to the net that work seamlessly when my BBO freeze occurs, and I have not seen lagging occur when I am playing more data-hungry online games.
* Finally, I have experienced this glitch only in the past 1-3 weeks. I don't recall facing this in the past.

Please help.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users