Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Not Bridge Other games

#1 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-July-12, 04:37

Bill Bryson once wrote that "Cricket is the only sport where the spectators get more exercise than the players."
Yesterday, a team of footballers that should not have been permitted to compete (because they aren't Europeans) was outplayed and defeated by a better team from an actual European country.
The English football fans accepted this result in their typically quiet and demure way - after all, it's just a game.
Today there was an outbreak of Trumpyism:

Calls Grow For An England Italy Rematch After 'Biased' Game
BY : EMILY BROWN ON : 12 JUL 2021 08:02

Football fans are calling for a rematch between England and Italy as some believe the result of the European championships was 'biased'.

Italy beat England 3-2 in a penalty shoot-out in the Euro final last night, July 11, though the lengthy game was the source of a lot of contention as some fans argued Italy did not always play fairly.

The team received accusations of playing 'dirty' after Italy's team captain, Giorgio Chiellini, pulled on Bukayo Saka's collar and caused him to fall to the ground, and while some argued he deserved a red card for the move, he ultimately got away with a yellow card.

No doubt we will soon see these disgruntled Englishmen posting a thread on the Laws and Rulings Forum.

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-July-12, 05:56

It was not a good game of football to watch for both teams, from a neutral Swede. On lighter note, why are Australia in Eurovision song contest? :) Like England they are not European also. me think that red cards should be given not to players but to countries lol!

#3 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-July-12, 09:18

Hi Pilowsky, when you read that stuff about "Britain leaving Europe" I think maybe you read it a tad too literally? Mind you, as Russia, Ukraine, Turkey, Finland, North Macedonia, Switzerland, Wales, and Scotland would also have to exit an EU-only tournament, it would certainly have been quicker. And you might have identified a field in which England might actually win. Hmm... Posted Image

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-12, 10:36

The Saka one is not the contentious one really, Jorginho should have clearly got a straight red (rolled his studs over the ball and into Jack Grealish's leg), but since he missied his penalty it's hard to argue this cost England much. The appeals committee ruled an infringement but no damage on that one.

#5 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-12, 16:27

View PostLBengtsson, on 2021-July-12, 05:56, said:

It was not a good game of football to watch for both teams, from a neutral Swede. On lighter note, why are Australia in Eurovision song contest? :) Like England they are not European also. me think that red cards should be given not to players but to countries lol!

The bigger question is why is the Eurovision song contest?
But, unlike the English, the Australians still think they are Europeans.
Outside Greece, Melbourne is the worlds largest Greek city.
My forebears were Polish and my wife's parents were Dutch.

#6 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-12, 23:41

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-July-12, 16:27, said:

The bigger question is why is the Eurovision song contest?
But, unlike the English, the Australians still think they are Europeans.
Outside Greece, Melbourne is the worlds largest Greek city.
My forebears were Polish and my wife's parents were Dutch.

Hi Pilowsky, on a more serious note please be more thoughtful about making generalisations about "the English" and about "Europe". For the following reasons.
1. There is a small but vocal minority of racists who try to deny the "Englishness" of people whose skins are not white enough for them. Members of our football team have suffered ugly racist abuse.
2 About a quarter of the UK's population are first or second generation migrants (defined by the EU as one or more parents born outside the country) this includes me as it happens, although my parents were white so I don't get racist abuse. Lucky me. First and second-generation immigrants - statistics on main characteristics - Statistics Explained (europa.eu)
3 48% of those who voted in 2016 opposed Brexit and many of them are still mightily hacked-off
I appreciate that you live 12,000 miles away and I've seen enough of your posts to know that no offence was intended. Kind regards

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-July-13, 00:56

View PostDouglas43, on 2021-July-12, 23:41, said:

2 About a quarter of the UK's population are first or second generation migrants (defined by the EU as one or more parents born outside the country) this includes me as it happens, although my parents were white so I don't get racist abuse. Lucky me. First and second-generation immigrants - statistics on main characteristics - Statistics Explained (europa.eu)

My great grandparents were all born in eastern Europe, my grandparents were all born in the UK, I'm white and have suffered racial abuse in the UK.

#8 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-13, 02:34

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-July-13, 00:56, said:

My great grandparents were all born in eastern Europe, my grandparents were all born in the UK, I'm white and have suffered racial abuse in the UK.

Sorry Cyberyeti if I inadvertently implied that bigots don't target white people too. When I wrote "lucky me" I meant it. I have been lucky.

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-July-13, 02:37

View PostDouglas43, on 2021-July-13, 02:34, said:

Sorry Cyberyeti if I inadvertently implied that bigots don't target white people too. When I wrote "lucky me" I meant it. I have been lucky.

Mine was unusual, my family is Jewish, I'm an atheist, I got racially abused by some fanatically pro-Palestinian fringe lefties who assumed from the context and my appearance that I was Jewish.

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-14, 16:07

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-July-13, 00:56, said:

My grandparents were all English although my father was born in Scotland (still UK at this date).
I have suffered no racial abuse living in Italy and just gentle and fully deserved leg pulling after the euro-soccer final.

#11 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-14, 16:28

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-July-12, 04:37, said:

[size="3"]
Yesterday, a team of footballers that should not have been permitted to compete (because they aren't Europeans) was outplayed and defeated by a better team from an actual European country.

The way some of the fans reacted seemingly most of the best players weren't even English

EDIT - apologies. I should have read the rest of the comments first :(

But what I find most amusing (in a not funny way) with the abuse thrown at the players is that there is nothing more English than missing a penalty in an important match. Its traditional

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-July-14, 22:30

View PostLBengtsson, on 2021-July-12, 05:56, said:

On lighter note, why are Australia in Eurovision song contest? :) Like England they are not European also.

First of all, Europe is not the same as the EU. Europe is the continent, which includes England; EU is a much smaller political group of countries.

Second of all, Eurovision is not restricted to European countries. It's open to all active members of the European Broadcasting Union, as well as invited associate members. Active members are mostly European (there are a few middle Eastern and north African countries), but associate members are all around the world.

Australia is an associate member, obviously they were invited.

#13 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-14, 22:43

View Postbarmar, on 2021-July-14, 22:30, said:

First of all, Europe is not the same as the EU. Europe is the continent, which includes England; EU is a much smaller political group of countries.

Second of all, Eurovision is not restricted to European countries. It's open to all active members of the European Broadcasting Union, as well as invited associate members. Active members are mostly European (there are a few middle Eastern and north African countries), but associate members are all around the world.

Australia is an associate member, obviously they were invited.

It's a bit like starting Le Tour in different countries. Everything is sold out eventually

At least at one time there were vague geographic definitions

Who knows about politics. Maybe the 100 year war is still going

Does geography mean nothing

#14 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-14, 23:41

View Postthepossum, on 2021-July-14, 22:43, said:

Does geography mean nothing

Considering I am taking part in a discussion with somebody who lives 12,000 miles away, i'd say it counts for less than it used to. And that's not a bad thing...

#15 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-15, 00:22

Or as we would say in Sydney: 17000 kilometres.

Distance from Douglas, Isle of Man to Sydney, Australia
The total straight line flight distance from Douglas, the Isle of Man to Sydney, Australia is 10,602 miles.
This is equivalent to 17 062 kilometres or 9,213 nautical miles.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users