BBO Discussion Forums: What do you bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you bid?

#1 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-November-27, 09:50

Expert opps, expert partner. Red v white, imps. Penultimate round of the qualifying two day Swiss portion of the Soloway teams.

What is your bid over 5C, and why.

If it matters, you have two rounds to go and need two moderate wins in order to qualify for the KO.

As an aside, we got those wins and, as a reward, play Nickell this morning😀

Good odds of sleeping in tomorrow
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#2 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-November-27, 10:42

I'd bid 6. I don't know what agreements you have with your partner, but mine state that after a preempt we strive to bid what we think we can make expecting one trick from partner. If partner has the A, we have 3. Even without that card, if we get a club lead and partner has hearts, we can set up that suit for discards. I'm not worried about spades, partner has them, but opposite a stiff I'm not sure they will run the suit with no loser. If your agreements in this case include a solid suit, then I'd bid 6 looking for 7.

The flip side, and this depends upon your understandings with your partner, is that partner may have stretched because you were behind. If you think partner is likely to stretch here, then 5 is the bid hoping partner will bid 6 with a true hand.

Edit add: After thinking about this, I asked myself what would 5n be here? Would you play it as GSF, or pick a slam? If pick a slam, this hand might be perfect for that.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-27, 15:27

I declined to make my I/A choice because you posted the other problem in Expert, now you ask an Expert choice in I/A :)
It's close, but I think I double.
I don't imagine an Expert playing 5N as GSF and Pick a Slam needs better diamonds at this vulnerability.

#4 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-27, 16:18

We don't need clubs for the Pick-A-Slam after the opponents have bid the 5-level in it. I think 5NT is the standout call - partner may have a good 7-card spade suit with something of a side suit, and can always go back to spades without one. Double seems wrong with so many working values and controls, and stopping at the 5-level is too tricky for me.

There might be more to this - since spades are the boss suit, partner could perhaps have doubled and then jumped to 4 on the next round with a hand with spades and outside values. But that is tricky in competition, if the opponents jam us (as they have here) we would be behind. Absent agreements on the difference between direct 4 and double followed by 4 I think I'll just push to slam.

#5 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-27, 22:56

I'm doubling. Yeah it could be -4 IMPs (500 into 650) or -8 IMPs (1100 into 1430) but I'll take the plus score. Besides, partner could always pull.

EDIT: Pass isn't forcing here, so I think of double as roughly a high level "takeout" double - partner will usually pass but not always, and partner should not expect you to have a trump stack.

#6 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2022-November-28, 00:02

I'm with David; slam has good chances, but in what strain? 5NT provides North with something to think about.

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-28, 11:22

I double. Not sure if it's unilateral penalty but either way I can't do anything else with this hand. I am not bidding 6s with only one useful card.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   harikannan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-22, 21:14

I recently held xx, AQTxx, xx, Axxx and heard my partner open 1c. With opps silent, i responded 1h. Partner rebid 1s. Naturally, with 1c opening by p, I was worried about diamonds. I messed up the bidding. What is my best rebid and why? Thanks in advance.

#9 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-22, 23:29

If you're playing XYZ, then 2C. Otherwise, 3C. There is a reason why partner's 1S rebid is supposed to promise at least 4 clubs - actually I usually play it promises an unbalanced hand (which means at least 5 clubs).

#10 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-22, 23:29

If you're playing XYZ, then 2C. Otherwise, 3C. There is a reason why partner's 1S rebid is supposed to promise at least 4 clubs - actually I usually play it promises an unbalanced hand (which means at least 5 clubs).

#11 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2022-December-23, 15:44

View Postharikannan, on 2022-December-22, 21:14, said:

I recently held xx, AQTxx, xx, Axxx and heard my partner open 1c. With opps silent, i responded 1h. Partner rebid 1s. Naturally, with 1c opening by p, I was worried about diamonds. I messed up the bidding. What is my best rebid and why? Thanks in advance.

@harikannan, wnen you have a new question or hand it's better to open a new topic of your own, rather than hijack an existing topic.
I understand that you probably concluded from the title of this topic that this is a bucket for all bidding dilemmas, but that's not how it works.

#12 User is offline   harikannan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-23, 23:48

Sorŕy, didn't know that.

#13 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2022-December-24, 04:37

View Postharikannan, on 2022-December-23, 23:48, said:

Sorŕy, didn't know that.

No problem, just wanted to help.